1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which mounts (and other questions)?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pdh, May 23, 2010.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I've just acquired a carrier-bag of old lenses, which might be nice to have a play with on my E-P2. It is amazing what people will give away !

Unfortunately, I have no idea what mounts two of them have. Any information about the care and rejuvenation of old lenses will be gratefully received, and any opinions on quality also.

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm F3.5 (55mm filter): The iris stops down symmetrically, and the focus action is smooth; but very dirty, perhaps both within and without.

Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.8 (55mm filter): A bit less symmetrical, a bit less smooth; just as dirty; and looks like it's had a belt, as the filter ring is dented.

Vivitar 135mm f2.8 Auto-Telephoto (55mm filter): Front and back elements appear unmarked but looking into it from the front element, there appears a "thready/crazed" pattern -- is this fungus or just dirt?

Sigma 28-200mm f4-5.6 Macro zoom (72mm filter): Not very symmetrical, not very smooth; very dirty in the same "thready" way; and definitely had a good belt.

It's probably safe to assume that the two Konica are AR mount, and they look identical, but the other two both look different. Short of taking them into a shop and asking, how might I establish what mounts the others have?

I also got given an old Zenit/Praktica 35mm body + 4 lenses with m42 screw mount (it even had a roll of film loaded); and built like the Battleship Potemkin of course. Lenses with this are:

Helios-44M 2/58: Seems bright and clear, clean and unmarked; also like it's made with "window glass"; I assume this was the original lens that came with the body.

Cosina Cosinon Auto MC 135mm f2.8: Stops down a little asymmetrically, not that smooth, a tiny bit of "slip", a bit dusty/dirty.

Praktica 80-200mm f5.6 Auto MC Zoom: A bit asymmetric, quite smooth, but "thready" pattern internally.

Pentacon 50mm f1.8 auto multicoated : Seems bright & clear, smooth, dirty without, dusty within.

I've already got an m42 adapter coming; is it worth investing in an AR adapter? Are the lenses with the "thready dirt" fit for anything but the bin?

tia

2. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I think the "thready dirt" is fungus. I also have one old lens with fungus and thats the way I'd describe what it looks like.

Here is quite a good site about fungus and cameras Fungus and Camera Lenses

I think you just have to hope that the fungus is not in between the lenses. And just get few cheap adapters, then clean and test the lenses.

Hope you'll find something usefull. As a camerafile I use all kinds of lenses from plastic to brilliant expensive lenses… This also includes my fungi ridden lens.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    thanks for that

Still wondering how I might establish what mount a lens has, if anyone can help?

4. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    You can try this page.

5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Just asking for a bit more help here ... hope I've sorted these out, but want to see if anyone can confirm or correct my IDs.

I think the first two are Konica AR mount (even though they are different from each other?)

Sigma UK support were very helpful and told me the third is a KPR mount for Pentax (so presumably a Pentax K mount)

The fourth looks like Olympus OM.

thanks in advance

Attached Files: