Which Monitor do you have?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by HaViet, Apr 14, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Since, everyone in here is editing photos, I guess having a good quality monitor (and one that is calibrated) would probably help make your work more accurate.

So, which monitors do you like/prefer?

I like to find a decent quality monitor, hoping for around $200? Is there a decent 24" for around that price?

I currently have an Acer 21", but I quickly find that it's not giving enough real estate.

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    NEC PA series :)
    besides shooting I also run a post production company so to me color is critical
    you can get close with many good monitors but once you use a NEC PA you won't want to go back :) its like driving a Porshce or something :) ahahhaha
    also use hoods

use dual monitors my main color is the 27
    wifes machine she does more design layout has dual 30s :)

you can profile any monitor but as I say its like a tune up tuning up a Hyundai will only mean you have a tuned hyundai it won't make it color accurate just as accurate as it can get
    so Dell and other monitors will never have the shadow detail and color accuracy and luminance accuracy across the screen etc..
    but again reality for most ? not a big deal so a top Dell or using a 27 iMac will get the job done

most important thing profile and use a quality lab if you can learn soft proofing so you understand what comes back if you are into prints and one can compensate

for $200 ? hate to say it won't be accurate ? just won't happen but if its a budget you have to work with then reality is do the best you can and maybe try to bump up a small bit $ and stick to the 24 size ?
  3. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Holy cow, $2400 for the NEC PA? I am sure it's one heck of a monitor, but way out of my budget.

I do have an X-Rite i1Display Pro meter and just profiled my Acer monitor. I know it won't be as accurate, but it's the best I can do with it.

Any other monitors that are a bit more affordable?
  4. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
  5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    the 27 inch can be had for about $1100 on sale :) yeah out of budget but ya asked :) but its my living so worth it

again budget find the best but you have a nice puck

check out this site read some of the reviews might help ya decide on one :)
  6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    The Dell Ultrasharp seems to be at the top of every list I read. Fairly reasonably priced also.
  7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Viewsonic VP2765-LED 27-Inch Wide AMVA 1080p. I really like it. My computer can't handle 1440p anyway. I like some of the features, like portrait mode (rotates), built in usb hub, displayport/dvi that are easy to switch between (for when I have my laptop hooked up).
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You can get Dell UltraSharp 24" on ebay for around $200.
    But for God's sake - get some calibration kit.
  9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Hate to say it but $200 doesn't get you much in the way of a proper screen for editing new.... used market is your best bet.
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Eizo monitors are probably one of the most frequently used by photographers and the like that need accurate colours.
  11. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I bought the older DELL 2711 UltraSharp model when the newer came out. Price was OK then (500$).

It is 27' and 2560x1440 wide. Most important it is calibrated and as all IPS panels it has good viewing angles.

Only thing is the adobeRGB color space. For me it is a plus, because I love the vivid colors it can display.
    But you need a color aware tool chain. Otherwise everything has neon colors ...

Currently there are 2713H (adobeRGB) and 2713HM (sRGB) for a reasonable price.

If you don't want to fight with color spaces, buying the cheaper sRGB model from DELL could be an option ...

12. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    On the road we have the screens of our 15" Retina Macbook Pro laptops. At home we connect the MacBooks to our Apple Thunderbolt Displays via thunderbolt cables. I used Spyder Elite 4 to calibrate both MBPs and ATDs. Both sets were spot on from the factory.
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  14. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Many thanks guys.

After a bit of googling, it look slike Eizo and NEC PA are the top notch monitors. Sadly, they are way out of my budget, and I could never justify spending $2k on a monitor that I occasional develop/edit a few family photos.

I'll probably grab either a Dell Ultrasharp or an ASUS PA. They can be had for around $300 for a 24".
  15. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Another place to look is for one of the Korean 27" high resolution monitors. They are sometimes availalbe for around $300, but support is said to be an issue (if it's bad out of the box, you have to pay to send it back to Korea, not cheap). I've been watching some of these, and they sound promising, but I'm not sure I like the risk. But they are, by far, the best bang for the buck in monitors right now. With calibration, color on them is reviewed as good, but poor out of the box on many models.

I'm still using a 20" NEC that I purchased refurbished 6 years ago. Great picture, great color, but it's feeling toosmall these days, and 27" is the onl single monitor way I get a real upgrade.

The ASUS that you linked to does look good. I like the 1920x1200 better than the more common 1080P, and IPS (or *VA) are the types of panels that you want for color accuracy (and better viewing angles)
  16. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
  17. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Good deal and it will serve your purpose well I should think :2thumbs:
  18. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    That's a great deal and it should serve you well!

It's also good to be realistic about one's needs. I just "stepped down" from a NEC 2180UX (which was getting a bit old) to a Dell 2413. And while the DELL's viewing angles are nowhere near as nice as on the NEC, it's still perfectly adequate for what I do (and actually need).

For most of us "good enough" is plenty good enough these days. No point in constantly worrying about the "ultimate" gear :)
  19. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Apple 27 Thunderbolt. When you spend all day in front of it, it is well worth it.
  20. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    True that. Otherwise we'd all be toting around gargantuan "full-frame" cameras with 50 lenses in a Pelican case just to take a few vacation photos...