Which mirrorless?

B0baFett

Mu-43 Rookie
Looking at the em1 mark 1 with newest firmware vs em5 mark ii with added grip.

Non professional, using this for stills, landscape and maybe some macro. Not concerned with video. Most likely buying these used to keep my total under $1000.

Also was looking at Panasonic g85. Going for all around user friendly and one or two lens system.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can only talk about the Olympus since I do not have the Panny. There are functional differences between the mark i and mark ii versions and the mark ii has faster electronics. See here:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 vs OM-D E-M1 II – The complete comparison

My understanding is that the mark ii stabilization is better, but I am not sure about that. If I were you I would be checking the differences to see if you need or want the newer functionality.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
If you like long exposure landscape, the go for anything but the EM1 (original). It suffers from long exposure noise at anything above 30 seconds.

Pen F and EM1.2 both excellent for landscape - good highlight recovery, 20Mp and electronic shutters for HDR multi shot bursts.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I've owned both. I like how the E-M1mkI handles and feels in hand, plus it works better with adapting standard 4/3rd lenses if that's your thing, but the E-M5II has the better image processing, EVF and advanced features. If landscape is your thing, the E-M5II has high res mode and I've shot some of my biggest prints from that camera.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
For $1000 I would aim for the G85 and 14-140mm zoom as a starter kit that would cover a wide range of needs. You can get a set of screw on macro lenses for the 14-140mm for $20 to get even closer, and pen in an external flash like the Meike MK320, plus a small bag to keep your kit. Later on when GAS strikes and funds show up, you can expand your kens range. That's the exact setup I use when on a general holiday, or when hitting the city with a guest, and it covers me for 99% of the time.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Those are good cameras. However, with all the changes in technology I would go with the newest camera you can afford. This will give you the latest features and improved ability over the older models. Thus, an investment that will last a long time.

The older cameras are great for their function and what they do, and were at one time the best cameras of their segment. They are still significant today. But for a grand, I would seek out the latest cameras and their ability.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The older cameras are great for their function and what they do, and were at one time the best cameras of their segment. They are still significant today. But for a grand, I would seek out the latest cameras and their ability.
The problem with the latest cameras tend to be that they start at well above $1000 just for the camera.

B0baFett

Mu-43 Rookie
Those are good cameras. However, with all the changes in technology I would go with the newest camera you can afford. This will give you the latest features and improved ability over the older models. Thus, an investment that will last a long time.

Yeah I understand that concept but then you get into a loop of buying the latest and greatest year after year. Just looking for a good starter camera that keeps the quality even though they are a few years old. The em1 is from 2013 but with firmware updates it says it's like a newer camera compared to when it was originally released. I've been leaning towards the panasonic g85 for the newest out of the three but might get the em1 due to the cheapest used price out of the bunch.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
You can't get this decision wrong. They are all great cameras. If EM1 is the cheapest and you don't care a lot about video or night-time long exposure, then make it easy on yourself and say that's the decision made. It's fantastic for the money - it's fantastic at twice the price.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
For what you've listed, any of them is fine. I'd lean towards the E-M5 Mk2 due to it doing better at long exposures, having high resolution mode, and the swivel screen (which I don't like for street, but is useful for macro).

Looking at the em1 mark 1 with newest firmware vs em5 mark ii with added grip.

Non professional, using this for stills, landscape and maybe some macro. Not concerned with video. Most likely buying these used to keep my total under $1000.

Also was looking at Panasonic g85. Going for all around user friendly and one or two lens system.
I would also include the 10ii and gx85 into your options. Gx85 with two lenses is selling for around $500 new.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
You can't get this decision wrong. They are all great cameras. If EM1 is the cheapest and you don't care a lot about video or night-time long exposure, then make it easy on yourself and say that's the decision made. It's fantastic for the money - it's fantastic at twice the price.
One for sale right here, with plenty of room to get lens(es) you might want:
For Sale: E-M1 & 5, Oly 75mm, 150mm, Sigma 18-35, adapters | Location: USA | Ships: CONUS

I do love the E-M1 mark 1. It's been a workhorse for me over the years. Couple that with a used 12-40 2.8, and you'd still have room to get a prime, and you're gtg.

I'll just repeat again what Simon said, it's tough to get your choice wrong with the bodies you've mentioned. I'd stay on the lower side with your budget on the camera and get a decent quality lens, personally.

B0baFett

Mu-43 Rookie
One for sale right here, with plenty of room to get lens(es) you might want:
For Sale: E-M1 & 5, Oly 75mm, 150mm, Sigma 18-35, adapters | Location: USA | Ships: CONUS

I do love the E-M1 mark 1. It's been a workhorse for me over the years. Couple that with a used 12-40 2.8, and you'd still have room to get a prime, and you're gtg.

I'll just repeat again what Simon said, it's tough to get your choice wrong with the bodies you've mentioned. I'd stay on the lower side with your budget on the camera and get a decent quality lens, personally.
Adorama has used em1's on excellent condition for under $500, finding that 12-40 pro lens used or on the cheap side is the harder task.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom