Which MFT camera as second cam to my Canon

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by danelkins, Mar 9, 2013.

1. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I can only imagine the responses I will get but I am really looking for input from experienced users. I am looking to purchase my first MFT camera. I plan to get a camera, a long zoom and two fixed primes most likely the 20mm and 12mm. My main attraction to the system is the smaller size to my Canon 7D and a big interest is the cameras Video capabilities. SO, on paper it looks like the Oly EPL5, OMD or Panasonic G5 as the GH3 is bulkier than I want and I am only looking for the 16mp options. This is going to be my all around camera that will be used for some video. As a second video cam it will mainly need good manual controls and and not difficult to set-up, it will be used more as a tripod mounted and not run and gun style. I appreciate any input to help me decide which camera I don't want. Thanks
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    There's also the GX1 and E-PM2 for 16MP options, as well as the GH2 and G3. I'd say the GH2 is still the leading for video if the GH3 isn't an option.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How picky/specific are you about video? Because I read mixed reviews of the E-M5 (which I think is the best of the cameras you've mentioned for stills, and is my current favorite camera) on that front. Folks who aren't hugely demanding love it, but I've seen some less than glowing reviews from folks who are serious about their video shooting. None of the Oly cams are as fine-tuneable, video-wise, as the GH series panasonics.
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The best option here is the GH2 if you don't want the GH3. I have the Canon T3i, 7D, and the GH2 is my go to camera for video. ETC makes it then best option for long tele work.
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    If video is your main concern (judging from your post), GH2 hands down. Look at movies made with GH2 on Vimeo... amazing.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't buy the Olympus cameras for video. They are just not good at it, not if you're used to working with the 7D. The encoder implementation is bad and tends to disintegrate into macroblocked disaster. Can't fix that in post. The G5 is probably a good choice, but I think the best choice would be a GH2 if you can find it. It's probably a better camera than the G5, certainly when it comes to video. Arguably better than any of the APS DSLRs, at least when the light is reasonably good.

Oh -- keep in mind that only the GH2 really has proper manual video control. The G5 does not.
  7. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I am not looking for the camera to be a hard core video can, by I want a strong video option as a second camera. If anyone is familiar with the Canon GX1, I would have bought that if it had manual controls in video mode. Also, I am looking to keep it smaller than a GH2/3.
  8. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I meant to say that I am primarily looking for a good 16mp photo camera that has a solid video capability as a second not a primary. Thanks to all for your help
  9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    FYI, the 20mm lens is kind of noisy when focusing, you might want to think about the 25mm for video. From a photography standpoint, all of the cameras you are looking at are good. EPL5 and OMD have slightly better sensors, but I think you wont see much of a difference in real life situations. Olympus tends to have better JPEGs (to my eye anyways, but I only shoot RAW so it doesn't matter) The EPL5 had buttons too small for my hands (it would have slowed me down while shooting, so I passed on it. Small is good up to a point), I haven't used an OMD, but it has weather sealing and in camera stabilization. The G5 was very good for me ergonomically, easy to use and I was able adjust it's settings quickly while shooting. Panasonic seems to have some genuine photographers on its design team. They make very usable cameras. I highly recommend it (especially at less than $500 with a kit zoom). I don't do video, so the only feedback I can give is that in general, Panasonic have a better video reputation than Olympus.
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Well, the OMD and PEN both largely fit the bill. Even the video is quite nice when the bitrate cooperates. Panasonics are either G5/GH2 sized, or straight to the ultra tiny GF series which I'm not too fond of.

Maybe an EPL5?
  11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I would seriously consider the G5. High performance, fully featured, great ergonomics, and awesome value. Video is good but you won't be able to have full manual control.

As for size, it's still quite small. Compare this to the 7D, tiny. Compact Camera Meter
  12. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    None of the Panasonics offer manual video control except the GH series.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With the GH-series out of the running due to size and the want for solid video recording capabilities, then I think your choice should be apparent.

The G5 not only lacks manual video control, but also has no external microphone jack. Shooting video without a jack for external microphone is like shooting photos on a camera that has no hotshoe for external flash! This is necessary if you want to get past the "home video" feel without syncing in audio from a separate recording device. These cameras all shoot HD video and the tiny difference from encoding between the Oly and Panasonic cameras makes no difference if you can't even get past basic hardware requirements like an external mic and manual control (thankfully they all use interchangeable lenses)!

The OM-D would be your top choice. Not only does it have 5-axis IBIS which also works in video (formerly you could only use IBIS in stills), but it also has a built-in EVF which can be used at the same time as using the mic jack or flash. The EMA-1 mic adapter or the VF-2 or VF-3 EVFs do unfortunately take over the hotshoe on the small Pen cameras like the E-PL5, meaning you can use them all but you have to pick and choose (ie, mic and LCD when shooting video, EVF when shooting in ambient light, flash and LCD when shooting indoors, etc). With the OM-D you don't need to make these choices, you can have them all available whenever you want (of course you would never use a microphone and flash together, while a video LED light array can mount on the cold shoe of your flash bracket).

Basically, only the Olympus cameras offer the same complete video capabilties on ALL their cameras at any level. While Panasonic may have the superior video capture at the very top end, they don't offer full vdieo control on all models - only the bulky GH series. That's the same "crippling lower-end cameras for price differentiation" ideology seen in many other camera manufacturers. This has always been one thing I love Olympus cameras is that they never followed that idea but instead differentiate their models through physical build and form factor.
  14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If the GH2 won't work for you I'd consider NEX as well as m4/3s. Better video quality (5N vs E-M5) based on my experience and manual controls. Also way cheaper, if that matters.
  15. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Not sure if it applies to the NEX5n but the NEX7 overheats during video recording after about 15 minutes, if you were considering a NEX.