Which MFT bodies would you avoid, and which MFT lenses do you like the least

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Aperture Don, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I've been reading and responding to the "what do you like" threads. How about a what don't you like thread. Let's keep this current. No old 4/3 lenses or bodies. Nothing older than 2010.

I don't like my Oly 14-150 or my Oly 75-300. They're ok, but not really great.

2. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Another excellent add on to these questions Don.

Thanks Bill

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    As I have noted in numerous previous threads, I had three E-M10's go bad on me within a 6 month period of time and I would not get another because I must have a camera that I can rely on without having to carry a backup. Based on my experience the quality control on the E-M10 is questionable but I really like my E-M5 especially the 5 axis stabilization.

4. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Ooh, this is my kind of thread. And I'm tired and grouchy today. Perfect

Oly 17/1.8: quite a bit less sharp than the 12-40 at every equivalent aperture.
    PL 15/1.7: Substantial focus shift
    PL 25/1.4: Until ~f/2.5, it isn't all that good outside the center. Wide open, only the immediate center is fine. Goofy non-reversible hood.
    Panny 7-14/4: Edges just aren't great. They often have a smeared look I find unappealing. Flares.
    Oly 40-150/2.8: It's big enough it doesn't fit very well with my kit, and too heavy for my shoulder mount, so I don't bring it along enough for the price. Not as sharp at infinity as the reviews would have you believe. Ugly bokeh for a telephoto.
    PL 8-18: Sample variation in the two copies I've seen is...gnarly.
    Sigma 30/1.4: Focus shift and the worst purple fringing I've ever seen on a lens. (Purple fringing can be largely mitigated with a 2A filter, but I'm grouchy today)

The inclusion of these two shows there are no sacred cows today:
    Oly 75/1.8: The thumbscrew hood.
    Oly 300/4: Envy of Nikon's much lighter 300/4 :p

Oly 12/2 and Oly 45/1.8: They are decent lenses, though not gems. I just don't like the angle of view of these. Ahh, the hatorade is good :)

5. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HRC2016

HRC2016 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2016
    I dislike the Panny 100-400. It's overpriced, a chore to use and not a lens that's fun.

7. Aperture Don

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
  8. Aperture Don

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Bill,

I'm sorry. I didn't see your post. Maybe the moderator can just add the comments here to your post and then just delete mine.

Don

9. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    That's not a problem Don the more the merrier it all works.
    Bill

10. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    When I think of focus shift I think of zooms. What does this mean?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    On a lens with focus shift, the focal plane is at a different point at different apertures. Since lenses are almost always focused wide open, when the lens is stopped down for the picture, the focal plane shifts (usually backwards). So the focal plane is not where you wanted it. Stopped down, the lens will tend to chronically backfocus.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    +Camera that i would avoid?

Hmmm i would avoid EM1 Mark II. Not because it's expensive. EM1 Mark II were designed for landscape, sports, etc genre kind of shoots but one thing that it's the weakness is the skin tone.

EM1 Mark II rendering tone are tend to warm and somehow not feels good/alive/shining. Like this one.

31248048721_bf91a1ea42_c.
    30555342903_7d01b21b1d_c.

It's a matter of preference actually. In the end i choose Pen F because it's strength point actually in skin tone colour division and less contrast compare to the OMD series or the old Pen series. It's suits my genre.

34347073835_f1d27985ec_c.
    33963240180_806b47742d_c.

Plus also beautiful Black and White!! :biggrin: (especially mono profile 2)
    34284680902_0ff525e17e_c.

+While the lens i do like the least hmmmmm from the lenses i ever used:

Lumix 14mm F2.8. The performance not so different than 14-42mm kit lens. I regret brought it to my vacation to Jerusalem.

13. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I don't see how your examples are even comparable (regarding skin tones). On one hand, your PEN-F models are Asian and your EM1-II models are Caucasian. The E-M1 II photos also look really under-exposed...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    True. It captured during the EM1 Mark II's launch event in my country Indonesia actually. But the skin colour as you see is a bit pastel. Caucasian skin tone colour is flat. This surprise me since i do have high hope with EM1 II that day.

Last time i shot Caucasian is when i still use EM5 Mark II. But then that day i prefer EM5 II.

32035467694_6ba72437a5_c.
    33294093585_a3bcc9e4da_c.

The answer will be different if my genre are landscape or sports photography.

Oh i also dislike the EPL series. EPL6 tend to red. EPL7 and EPL8 tend to yellow.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I'll attest to both the E-M5 and E-M1 output being a bit 'too red'. I have my import RAW profile for ACR reduce red saturation for those bodies to compensate.

16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Mine is the barely attached with low friction and weak detent locking of the Panny 12-35mm/2.8 lens hood. Out of the box the hood, at least my copy, would be knocked off the lens and lost the very first outing I am sure. I beefed mine up with adhesive black foam rubber applied to the inside of the hood threads to create more friction (with the foam pressing against the lens threads when installed).

And on my E-M1 the eye cup also not clipping into place securely caused me to lose it and now the little diopter adjustment dial easily gets rolled out of position when hanging against my body so often when I first put the camera to my eye I have to stop to readjust it back from "super blurry" position. Arggg.

17. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Anything that is not an EM1

Anything that is not SHG glass

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Despite these MFT bodies and lenses would you avoid - tens of thousands of these items have been sold. Some of the best available lenses of Olympus are listed here as well as one the best value orientated lens often praised as a portrait lens. The Panasonic 7-14mm and 25mm f/1.4 are again misappropriately maligned. And the Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark II are often out of stock, because, well - they are selling past Olympus's expectations.

I make a fair living using many of the lenses mentioned here as well as the E-M1 Mark II - if you are investigating to buy or move into m4/3s, look elsewhere for good advice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd avoid any body without a viewfinder.

I haven't tried all the lenses so I don't know what I least like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The very theme of the thread is by it's nature going to be a bit negative. I've owned E-P3 , E-PL5, E-M5, E-M5 MkII, E-M1 and liked them all, but with the march of technology I'd not want to go back to the E-P3 as it body size (too bulky) and sensor performance and fps are not up to my current expectations as a main camera. I have not regretted any of them and still using the EPL and two E-M5 s.
    The only lens I've regretted buying was a Sigma 19mm f2.8 which actually slowed down the camera start up by about 2 seconds and perform no better than the 14-42 kit zoom (much maligned unfairly IMHO). To be fair it could turn a sharp enough picture, but nothing special that I was expecting from a prime.
    Overall I think M43 has a higher standard of performance for lenses in particular from being a dedicated digital format from day one and based on modern technology.