Which Macro ?Panny 45mm 2.8 or wait for Oly 60 mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys
    As u know we gain a lot from this forum and one is the lust and quest for best lenses and other things .
    We share our opinions and experiences and help each other to take decisions. So I need help for this one .I am thinking of adding macro lens to my kit and options include already available Pany 45 mm 2.8 and It seems its a pretty good one.
    The other option is to wait for Olympus 60 mm 2.8
    Please suggest what would be the best thing?I am not in a hurry at all and can wait ....
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I'm planning to wait for the oly, mostly because I want the weather sealing to go with the OM-D I have on preorder. Also, I have ordered the oly 45/1.8, and don't feel like doubling up on the FL. It looks from your sig like you've got 45mm covered already, so it might be worth waiting for the reviews to see which one pans out better. In the meantime you could try out some legacy glass, either a macro lens or non-macro with extension tubes, to see how you like macro and get an idea of what FL you want to work with.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm, a lens that exists, or a lens that doesn't exist . . . The Panasonic has some shortcomings (cost, focus switch incomplete, no distance scale like I've seen on the Olympus mockups), but if you need a native lens in the near future, it's your only choice. If those above-mentioned features are a deal breaker for you, then consider getting an adapted lens for the time being. You'll likely find that you like it better anyway, as most macro is improved with manual focusing. 99% of my macro shots are me focusing the lens to a specific distance and then physically moving the camera forwards/backwards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I would get the 60. A little longer focal length will give you a bit more working room and DOF control when shooting portraits.

5. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I have the 45 and it's great, but I would prefer a bit more working distance as well. Just depends what you need.

EDIT: I also imagine the Oly will be a bit more expensive, but I could be wrong.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One not so nice thing about the 60/2.8 (at least from the mockups) is that it is not internal focus. Even more so than the 4/3 50/2, its length increases greatly at near focusing distances.

DH

7. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Okay, it's time to let my ignorance out of the box about this thread and Oly/Panasonic native lenses in general.:rolleyes:

Are the two brands interchangeable as long as they are µ4/3 mounts? I have a G3 and I'm planning on a macro as my next lens purchase. Am I understanding correctly that I'll get the same functionality with either brand on my camera, for instance, a Olympus 45mm 1.8 or the Panasonic 45mm 2.8 (ignoring the obvious difference).

Thanks.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, and any other m4/3 mount lenses as well (e.g. Sigma).

Well, both lenses will work (autofocus, auto-aperture, etc.), so basic functionality is the same.

Obviously you won't get macro or OIS on the 45/1.8.

DH

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Yes, both panasonic and olympus lenses are compatible with cameras from either brand.

ps - the oly 45 isn't suitable as a macro lens unless you plan on adding a conversion lens.

EDIT - oops...someone beat me to it. :)

10. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Thanks! I thought I was understanding correctly, but thought it better to ask!

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Panasonic...once I scrape together the money!

11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    If you want to be economical (but possibly not get the same results), you could always grab a pana 14mm from the classifieds (or ebay) for around $175, and one of Panasonic's new/upcoming macro converter lenses (which I think will retail for around $120ish).

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't really advice it. You get huge amounts of perspective distortion with a wide-angle macro combination like that. The effect is interesting the first few times, but it gets old fast.

A legacy macro won't have autofocus, but the focal lengths will be much more practical.

DH

13. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Probably...I've never used a converter lens before, but I was just reading the press release from panasonic.

Worth noting that an adapter will be necessary to use a legacy lens (correct?)

14. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Adapters are advised. But you can also free hand it, making a poor mans lens baby, focusing by moving the camera back and forth.

15. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I would just buy the adapter, they're like $20 or something and holding a lens in front just seems to be asking for trouble :eek:

Also from what I've seen it looks like the Oly 60 doesn't change it's (quite large) length when focusing. People used to just kind of ignore the PanaLeica 45 because it was too expensive. Now that the Oly 45 has come out though the price has gone down and I would say OIS and compact 1:1 are worth the $1-200 price difference.

16. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm waiting for the Oly 60mm, supposed to be 1:1 macro and it's 60mm so get more magnification at macro and the 60mm focal length suits me better as a general lens, it works in well with my other lenses meaning I'll have 9-18, 25, 60 and 100-300.

Paul

17. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    That's actually good news in my book. It means that the effective focal length may not be shortened as much or maybe not at all when focussing closer. The Panny 45/2.8 seems to do that and that's one of the reason I haven't bought it yet. I prefer older macro lenses like the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 and the Minolta MD 100/4, they keep their focal length up close.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks like I was wrong on this - the 60/2.8 does appear to be internal focus. The size and shape are a little odd, but from the pictures it doesn't appear to extend.

DH

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Bummer, would be too good to be true. :mad:

20. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I thought the focus would be internal to make it easier to weather seal.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk