1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which m43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Dang, I'm gone for just a few months and suddenly there are a bunch of new models and I hardly recognize the place. I wan to pick up an m43 body to go along with my NEX. The m43 will be for those times when I want AF. I tried the AF lens on the NEX route but that really wasn't all that successful. From this point on I am choosing to see my NEX as a manual focus only camera (I thnk of it as my cut rate M8) and all rumors about NEX actually having AF are no more credible than Chupacabra sightings.

So, I'd like some advice...which older m43 body would make a good little AF point and shoot replacement? I initially thought a nice clean E-P1 might be fun but that really doesn't get me much in the AF department so as much as I like the E-P1 I think that's not the best route. I have also thought that an E-PL2 would be a good option but I find that build quality on the E-PL2 to be kind of off putting (but Cameta has them for $199 new with free shipping). It may in fact be a very durable and well built camera but it just feels kinda insubstantial to me. My favorite m43 camera was the Panasonic GX1 (I always favored Panasonics and G3's seem to be going pretty cheap). I have a soft spot for the E-P3 as well. I'm not really interested in the newer models. First I want to keep this low cost because the camera is pretty much an alternative to a point and shoot for me. Second, while I realize the newer models are very nice with IQ rivaling my 5n, I am primarily shooting my MF Rokkors and for a variety of reasons I prefer the NEX for that. I've had a LOT of m43 bodies so I know how good they are but they just don't suit my needs for MF (yes even WITH IBIS).

Any suggestions?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Ha ha! I just re-bought an m43 body, too. I found a nice EPL3 w/17mm lens for $310. The 17mm was nice, but I sold it (probably netted about $115 off it), so that makes the EPL3 less than $200. Flip LCD, fast AF, etc.

But why not just stick with Panny? GX1s are cheap, and if you like them, they are nice cameras, and even output a bit better than the older Pens. Or what about the GF3?

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm leaning toward just picking up a GX1. I like the camera, I know it pretty well and they have never been particularly popular so I might find one for cheap. The other option I have been considering is the G3. I really like having the fold out LCD and it has the EVF if I need it. I see those going for around $200.

4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

The GF3 is a nice choice as you can easily get it for about $250 right now, with the 14mm lens(got one for the lens and size combo). Personally if size isn't really a factor would prefer to go with the G3 as it has better iq vs the older 12mp models as you know, but for the same price. And coming form the 5N you may find the lack of a articulating display in models like the GX1 to be missed.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good suggestion. That said, I think I'm leaning more toward the G3.

6. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    With only about one week of experience with them, I prefer the GX1 controls/buttons, but the G3 articulating screen and viewfinder seem very useful. I've yet to use the viewfinder, but have taken hundreds of shots with the screen positioned where I wanted it. Seems a good value as well.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The GX1 was my absolute favorite m43 camera ever but I don't have the budget for it since it's really going to be a low use, second body for the times I need or want AF. I also found a deal at Cameta...a new black E-PL2 for $199 (a GX1 will be almost double that). Even though I am not crazy about the plasticky feel of the E-PL2, I don't see a better deal out there. IQ wise the PL2 will be fine. What I would give up in resolution the PL2 makes up in better AWB and metering. All I need to do is find a P14-45 and it'll be a nice little AF kit that I can use if I need it form the family picnic, birthday parties etc.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The more I think of it that $199 Cameta PL2 deal is very appealing. As cheaply as you can get a GX1 it's still a good deal more than that. If this was going to be my main body I might feel different but it's not so I thnk economics is going to have a big say in which direction I go (except I don't want an E-PL1). I will keep an eye out for a cheap GX1 though.

9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    There is a nice, silver, hardly used GX1 in the for sale section here, think his current price is $399. Maybe he would take $350? I even considered buying/trading something, but my G3/GX1 combo will work well for a while, and I should spend my money on another lens instead :wink:

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm sending you a PM about a G3.

11. battleaxe

Well if you don't mind refurb, or the lack of a full grip, you could get the E-PM1 for about $240 from Camera, and the AF is suppose to be faster than the E-PL2 and if I am not mistaken better build too. The downside vs the E-PL2 would be the use of a clip-on flash, and possible the lack of external buttons.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had an E-PM1 and while it is a nice camera it is a bit too small for me to use conformably and I really don't care for the 16x9 screen. I found it a bit cramped. It does have have an excellent build quality and I thought it was very fast to AF, but it's not the right body for me.

FWIW I added a grip to the one I had.

13. battleaxe

What about E-PL3? Or is that more the same?