1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which M43 ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kujo, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    Ok. I know this is a somewhat loaded question.
    Just going crazy trying to decide.

What's the best bang for the buck right now?

Looking for small CCS when I don't wanna lug dslr around.

Want good quality of course.
    But don't need to break the bank either.

Mostly available light.
    Probably nothing over 800 Asa.
    Use with my kids so good AF performance.
    Would love 1080 hd video but not a huge priority.

Would just love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks all.

Kurt

2. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    imo e-pl1 is the best bang for the buck

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the E-PL2. Excellent image quality on par with the Olympus E-5 pro-grade DSLR, with decent AF and response speed and an LCD that's twice the resolution of its predecessors (the E-P1, E-P2, and E-PL1). It can be had a lot cheaper than the newest models, which have blazing fast AF as well as 1080 HD video (the E-PL2 has 720p HD).

However, if you want one of the newest models then the E-PL3 is probably the best bang for your buck. Same kind of functionality as the E-P3 but in a much slimmer form, using a good resolution tilt LCD instead of the OLED touch screen of the E-P3. The E-PM1 would be the cheapest of the new breed, but like the E-PL1 (which would be the cheapest overall) it is dumbed down and simplified to the point where it may become more frustrating to use (both these models were made to compete with the Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How much do you want to spend? There are several options depending on your price. For new, I'd go either with the G3 (built in viewfinder, swivel screen) or E-PL3 (swivel screen, IBIS). For last generation, I'd go E-PL2 (for stills) or GF2 (for video). For budget conscious, I'd go E-PL1.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Based on what your requirements, I would say that the Panasonic GF2 with 14mm lens would be great bang for the buck.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I *think* the GF2 would focus more quickly than the Olympus E-PL2. If you can deal with that the somewhat slower focus, there are some $399 deals floating around on the Oly and you will had the bonus of IBIS.

6. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    Is the AF really that slow on the PL2?
    That seems like a Great deal.

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the E-PL2 that much slower than the GF2? I had the E-P2 and I found that camera much slower than the GF2. Is the E-PL2 faster?

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The GF2 is available in the $525-$550 range with the 14mm, $485 with the kit zoom.

You may want to do some searches for reviews of the GF2 and EPL2... seems to remember some that had focus speed times (think it would be noticeable if that is important). I have only had the E-P2 and E-P3 and upgraded from P&S (lower expectations)... I thought the P2 was fine until I used the P3 as it was a noticeable improvement. I have heard the PL2 is somewhere in between, but guessing that it would be closer to the P2.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I forgot to mention, the E-PM1 bodies are in stock on the Olympus Store. That camera has all the latest features, 1080 video, IBIS, 5.5 FPS, etc. for $499. More like a P&S though, but you still get all the control of a DSLR.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Here's the thing ... they're ALL fine cameras, but they are all DIFFERENT.

You really need to go and "try them on". The menu structures are different, the speed of operation is different, the images "look/feel" different. It's not to say one is better than the other at any of these particular things from a technical standpoint, but some of them you will like, and some you will not like.

As much as I wanted IBIS and Oly JPGs from reading reviews, when I went and tried an EPL1 head to head against a GF1, I couldn't stand the slower operation, low res screen, UI, and cheaper build quality. I knew in SECONDS that the GF1 was for me and the EPL1 was not.

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd agree mostly with what's been said - best 'bang for your buck' would have to be EPL1/2 and GF2.

Depends which day of the week but there's some ridiculous deals going around for these models.

The best deal on one of the new MFT bodies - I'd have to say G3 - very capable camera for a decent price.

12. kujo

kujo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011
    ok, how is the performance of the Pany 14mm and 20mm on the E-PL2s ?

13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    They both work well on Olympus bodies.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm an SLR user too. Don't want to carry my D200 around with me all the time, so I ended up getting a Panasonic G2. $300 at Amazon and B&H. Biggest things for me is that it's really a mini-SLR. Viewfinder, hotshoe, on-body controls. The new version, G3, is imho a step backwards without the controls and automatic viewfinder. I wouldn't want to live without those features. The GF2 and E-PL2 seem to be a toss-up, if you do prefer their size and are willing to give up controls and viewfinder (which can at least be added via the hotshoe later). Overall, those 3 are definitely the best bang-for-the-buck cameras right now.

15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've used both on an EPL2 and they work fine (although there's a bit of CA on the 14mm, which isn't corrected on Olympus bodies).

16. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I've got an E-P1, E-P2 (just arrived today!), two GF1s and GF2. In your shoes, I would probably lean towards the GF2 with either the 14mm or kit zoom lens (for now). You can likely find it for a discounted price given the GF3's release. I like the touch screen control it offers, especially over point of focus, which would be real handy for chasing after little ones. I'd also give Panasonic the edge on HD video, especially if you get the 14-140mm Pany zoom sometime down the road. You might think about trading in that DSLR for one of those!

P.S. I got the E-P2 with the Oly kit zoom and VF-2 viewfinder because it was on sale for $599 on the Future Shop website in Canada. One of the deals that's out there right now!

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A LOT of people have had to eat their words decrying the touchscreen. Most everyone who knocked it have now fallen in love with it.

18. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    i definitely agree. I bought a GF2 as my first m43 on a bit of a whim recently, with very little research. After buying I then read a few reviews etc, most of which criticised the touchscreen. Initially the other opinions worried me, but I've since made my own mind up that it's very good.

The only thing i wish it did have is remote shutter release.

19. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

That touchscreen was the main reason I bought the GF2 in the first place. I got tired of coaxing the E-P1 and GF1 to focus on want I wanted. The focus tracking function is kind of neat too. :smile:

20. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I totally agree. Maybe the GF7 will address this deficiency :smile: