Which M42 adapter

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Okay, I bought an M42 lens and forgot to order an adapter, and I remember reading about at least one, if not more.

I've read camera stuff until my eyes bled (kidding), but can't find what I was looking for.

Ultimately, I'd like to have my adapter here no later than the 25th, because then I could take my lens with me on vacation. So that could rule out some overseas shippers.

Suggestions?

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
It would help if you said where you lived (which country) :)

In the UK, I've bought a couple of adapters from ebay user jiakong and they've arrived in about a week, which is much faster than other suppliers in the far east. No guarantees, though...

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Doh! I'm in the US. I'm so used to a similar forum (software-wise) saying where I'm living on each post.

I had trouble searching on M42 on the forum because the search term is so short it got ignored.

I ordered one from Rainbow Imaging, which ships domestically, thus eliminating the uncertainty. It may not be the best of the adapters, but one I can have before I leave without spending a lot more time hunting for the perfect one. Let's hope it works well enough, because it'd be sweet to have a 200mm lens along with me on vacation.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
To be honest, I'm not convinced that there's a huge difference between makes in something like the M42 adapter. Yes, a more expensive one may be more robust, but even a cheap one will get the job done.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use the M42 adapter from rainbow imaging... for the price, they work well. M42 adapters are very simple, so the differences are not huge.

btw... I suggest buying 2 or more if you plan on using several different lenses. Screwmount lenses can be a PITA to switch back and forth. I much prefer to leave the adapters attached to the lenses instead of a single adapter attached to the camera body. Its faster, less likely to drop the glass, and less likely to cross thread.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was planning to get an adapter for each lens just for the reason that then they'd be quicker to swap as well as the reasons you mention. Fortunately, so far I only have one lens of each adapter type (though I've only received one lens and no adapters thus far).

Can't wait to try them out. Need to get some more m43 rear lens caps, though.

I did order them from Rainbow Imaging.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My thought on the rear lens cap...

Do what many street photogs did for years... leave both of them at home. Just use lens pouches or compartmentalized bags. Swap lenses with the camera pointed down. Lens caps only get in the way.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe once I feel more practiced at handling all the gear. Right now, it's a bit overwhelming. I haven't had this much choice in years.

Latest threads

Top Bottom