Which lightroom version?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JDK504, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I currently use Photoshop to edit my photos. I am looking into purchasing a version of Lightroom. I use Em5 II but don't shoot raw. Which version would be most beneficial for me?

Ps is a great tool, but I'm looking for better/faster presets and slight tweaking.

TIA,

Ken

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The current versions of Lr would be the best, though everything since v4 is fine with the JPEGs to which you currently limit yourself.

Of the two current versions, the differences in the core program are very small. Lr6 is a standalone version with a perpetual license. Lr/CC has a subscription based license. With the latter you get the following that aren't in Lr6:
    • A control to adjust the "haze" in the picture, either increasing or decreasing it. This is a rather minor feature for most people.
    • An underlying interface to share images via Adobe's cloud and with the Lr mobile apps for iOS and Android.
    • Continual feature/version updates for as long as you continue to pay the subscription fee.
    If you don't use a tablet or smart phone for working with images then there is very very little difference between Lr6 and Lr/CC other than the licensing and update differences.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here is a breakdown of the differences amongst LR 2015 CC, LR6 and LR5 from the Adobe website:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html

Personally I feel that the $10/month Creative Cloud Photography bundle which includes LR CC and PS CC is a great value. If you don't like the subscription model then buy LR6.

4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you all for the insight! I will look into those =)

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    In assessing which version of Lightroom will suit your needs you also need to consider the hardware you will be using to run it. That is very important. Not all versions will run on all computers and some versions that say they will run on older operating systems/machines will do so but at the speed of cement hardening.

I run Lightroom 2 on my XP powered machines but Lightroom 5.7 (upgraded from Lr 5.0) on my Windows 7 based machines. Honestly, I prefer Lightroom 2 which I actually purchased after Lightroom 5 but that is another story. Lightroom was originally designed and advertised as a photographer friendly version of Photo Shop however, as is usually the case with software, it has grown in both features and complexity and you may or may not need all the features available in the newer versions. (I'll bet most folks do not use more than 10% of what is available in their word processing software yet they upgrade when a newer version becomes available.) Except for the camera and lens corrections, for much of what I do, Lr 2 does quite nicely and it is not overly demanding of computer resources.

6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Great point! I just need to edit my photos with some handy presets. Nothing too fancy. So I can upload to my phone or share here and print out for home use.
    My home machine should be fine to run Lr 6.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I suggest this topic might fit better in the Image Processing forum.

When considering LR and PS, use the latest release which happened this week. PS is now PS 2015. LR 2015 got upgraded with things like the new Dehaze tool.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/77453/

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The better question is what presets are you looking at?
    Which version of Photoshop are you using?
    Are these 3rd party presets?
    Are they camera RAW presets?

Many of the camera RAW features in CS are mirrored in LR. So if there's something in particular you're using then you have verify it's in the version of LR. If it's a 3rd party preset then you need to check it's requirements.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm using ps 5.5. Presets that I like are all the ones with a vintage vibe. I do like the haze effect as well in lr 6

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well currently that is LR CC only.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This seems like an odd question. Why wouldn't you use the latest version by default?

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Excellent point. The current versions require 64bit OSs on both Mac and Windows. My Win8.1 tablet runs a 32bit version of Windows and can't run any Lr newer than 5.7. I use Lr5.7 on my big desktop PC running Win8.1/64bit and will likely upgrade to Lr6 sometime this summer or fall. I rarely use Lr on the tablet and haven't upgraded its copy of Lr4.

Lr4 introduced a new processing engine that is significantly better than the engine used in Lr1-3. If your computer can run v4 then that should be the oldest version to consider using. Since then all of the improvements have been in utility and not in quality of output.

Presets are one of Lr's most useful features for many users. The change in the processing engine between v3 and v4 means that most presets distributed today, free and commercial, will not work properly with v1-3.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Personally, I'm not a fan of subscription models. Maybe for PS, but not LR. You can DL 30 day free trials and figure out what fits your needs. As far as the haze feature. I haven't used it, but I find in LR5 and previous models that lowering the Blacks level has a similar effect and makes colors pop more. YMMV. You may want the latest version to support the EM5 II in case you decide to shoot raw ever.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I played with the dehaze feature a bit yesterday and can attest that it provides a functionality that I've never been able to achieve previously. My "starting point" preset includes a lowering of the Black level as Steve suggests, but the effect of the new tool is quite different and much more global.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm not sure if I need the latest. I might not use all the features it provides.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Good to know! Sounds like a version between 4-6 will be fine for me.

Or i might go with a subscription. i do like the fact that I can take photos on location then upload them to my phone and then edit on the fly and then send out. i do that already with the basic tools on my iphone 6 which isnt too bad.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew