1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which lightroom version?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JDK504, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I currently use Photoshop to edit my photos. I am looking into purchasing a version of Lightroom. I use Em5 II but don't shoot raw. Which version would be most beneficial for me?

Ps is a great tool, but I'm looking for better/faster presets and slight tweaking.

TIA,

Ken

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Buy the current version 6 so it will support EM5 II ORF's. Once you learn how to use it, experiment with some RAW images. I was amazed at how much more one can do with RAW files. I shoot RAW+JPG now.

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Just buy the latest version (v6) as previous versions can't read the E-M5 Mk.II RAW files. I'm currently on v5.7 and have to first convert the E-M5 Mk.II ORF/RAW files over to DNG and then import into Lightroom. A pain in the a$$ if you ask me. I'm waiting on a friend of mine who is coming here in July from the U.S. to buy and bring me LR6 along with other things on my wishlist from both B&H and Amazon.

Also, if you're doing post processing, it would be beneficial to use RAW files due to the greater amount of latitude over JPEG.

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    You might as well get the latest version (even though 4 and 5 will support the original E-M5's RAW files), but unless you plan on starting to use RAW any time soon, do you really need Lightroom as well as Photoshop?

5. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Ps is great but I'm looking for faster presets. Anyone using lr cc? In thinking of going that route. I like the added haze feature

6. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I just started trialing LR CC 2015. Seems to be quite good. Some speed improvements over 5, but the most noticeable is between PS CC 2015 and CS5. No contest there. PS CC 2015 beats the CS5 noticeably in speed of operation. Just fantastic. I'm now really tempted to buy a subscription plan...