which lenses would you recommend based on these photos?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TucsonLawrence, Jul 24, 2013.

1. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster...

For several years have enjoyed taking pictures with point-and-shoot cameras (Sony fuji finepix S602z, Panasonic Lumix FZ35)

I recently purchased a Panasonic GH3 and tomorrow I receive my first lens for it (a Panasonic 20mm 1.7)

I'm a little stumped as to what lenses to get next... I enjoy taking many different types of photos and thought I'd show you some of what I've done in the past to help "guide" me toward my next lenses based on the types of pictures I've taken in the past.

I'm not against going with adapters and older FD styles... though I have ZERO experience with anything but point and shoot cameras. I plan to do both still pictures and some video (woodworking instructional and art videos) I'm really open to any advice on new/used, old with adapters or MFT etc.

Here are some of my past pictures - I do enjoy taking pictures and am excited at the new doors this next level of camera will open for me
    [ame="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/my%20best%20photos?sort=3"]My Best Photos Slideshow by ldr_klr | Photobucket[/ame]

Here is my woodworking portfolio - I'll be using this camera to take pictures and videos of my woodworking as well...
    [ame="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6"]Portfolio Slideshow by ldr_klr | Photobucket[/ame]

Thank you in advance- I really appreciate the advice to help me pick my next lens (or two...) ... my budget is pretty open (this camera and the lenses etc are a gift from my wife to celebrate my retirement from the USAF in a couple of months)

Thanks again- any assistance at all (including what accessories I should get etc) is greatly appreciated...

V/r
    Lawrence

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Welcome Lawrence!

If you like prime lenses, there are really only a few choices based on your budget and preferred focal length. For wide, you can choose between the Oly 12 and the Pany 14. In the mid-range, there is the Oly 17, the Pany 20 and the Pany 25. Moving up the ladder, there are the Oly 45, the Pany 45 macro, and the Oly 60 macro. Finally, if you like long, there is the Oly 75.

Since you have the 20, I would suggest the Oly 45 or 60 macro, and a wide angle lens. If you have some additional funds, I bet you might like the Pany 25 for your wood working.

Enjoy,

--Ken

3. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Lawrence! Welcome to MU43. Based on the images you've shown, here are a couple ideas to get started.
    Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Portrait, telephoto. this is a great and relatively inexpensive portrait lens, but could also be used for glamour shots of your woodwork. The 45mm will be more flattering to for portraits, than your 20, and also gives beautiful shallow depth of field backgrounds.

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 Mid-Range zoom. A kit lens like this will be very handy when you shoot various subjects. The 14-45 is inexpensive, compact and has very good IQ. The Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 is another option-but nearly 4X the price! and although I don't own this one the images I've seen look beautiful.

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 R Long zoom. This cheapy but a goody lens is really fun! - I think I paid $99 for mine with a kit rebate, and have been finding it very useful lately. Take this one with you sightseeing, hiking, marine subjects, anywhere there are animals or wildlife, etc fun to get really close in to your subjects from afar. Image Quality is great bang for your buck.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There are also the Sigma 19, 30, and 60 mm lenses. A bit slower than their Oly/Panny counterparts and a bit bigger, but very good IQ and much cheaper in most cases/

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Forgot to mention the Sigma trio. My apologies.

--Ken

6. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    Thanks guys- got my lens this afternoon and quickly snapped off a couple of shots in intelligent auto.... It's time for me to learn how to set this thing up :) I'll be looking into your suggestions and appreciate the feedback.

Lawrence

Attached Files:

7. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    just realized, amazon sent the old model... H-H020 when thought I should have gotten the newer model instead... does it matter at all? (is the newer model better?)

Thanks in advance,
    Lawrence

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    My best advice for lens selections, as someone who has a tried just about everything from ultra wide to long telephoto over the last few years:

1) Don't worry about buying lenses right away. Seriously - just go shoot for a while. I went a long time with the 20mm and a 14-42mm kit lens. Eventually I realized there were times I wanted to go wider or longer than that allowed, but it gave me a good starting point with knowing what I wanted.

2) Consider pairing the 20mm with a good kit zoom, like the old venerable 14-45mm which is a very decent lens for a great price. The zoom gives you a bunch of focal lengths to shoot and you'll probably find you gravitate to a specific focal length(s).

3) Eventually, I have come to the conclusion that the most interesting compositions tend to be at extremes; the human eye is used to seeing things in the "normal" range so what I find most interesting/compelling is often either ultra-wide or telephoto perspectives that offer something different. Certainly, tons of amazing photos are taken with a simple 50mm or 35mm equivalent lens. But, if I'm looking to spice up my photos with something unique I reach straight for the UWA or tele options :smile:

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    The new version (H-H020AK) is still only pre-order as far as I know. You'll probably be very happy with the current model, but a return and waiting and a little more money wouldn't be out of the ordinary. ;)

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There is some expectation that the revision to this lens is solely cosmetic, but I don't think that has been confirmed since no one (at least no one who's talking) has actually seen the P20 mk II.

Since you don't have any other lens I'd lean toward keeping the "old" version you've got. It's really a fantastic little lens and the likelihood that the new version is going to be markedly improved looks small.

When it comes to your next lens, I'm with Jay: you're going to be much better served by shooting with what you've got for a while. The limitations you encounter will challenge you and they'll also inform you as to which gap you most urgently want to fill. I would suggest that maybe a tele zoom like the Panasonic 45-175 or 45-150 might be the next logical choice being the P20.

11. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    Thanks again all for the inputs- I've sent back the lens ($5 shipping is an easy price to pay to not regret things..) and will await the new model

In the meantime I've ordered the (new version) 19mm Sigma as well as an adapter and a couple FD lenses to play with (50mm 1.8 and 35-70mm 3.5)

I do appreciate the advice to keep the 20mm, but would hate to regret it if the new lens does indeed have a faster AF (that and the noise bugged me right away when doing my test video)

Thanks again- I'm sure to have lots of questions and appreciate the knowledge that you are so generous with here on this site- hopefully someday my knowledge may be of use too.

V/r
    Lawrence

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If video noise is an issue, and you have sent back the 20, then I would suugest you give some serious consideration to the 25.

--Ken