1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which lenses to bring to Hawaii?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Gerry, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Gerry

Gerry Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Hello! I don't take many photo-worthy-rich trips, but will be taking one very, very shortly. The last two times I did big trips (both times to Japan), I had first a Panny bridge camera, and then the Oly E-620 with two kit zooms. This'll be my first time with m43 gear. And first time to Hawaii, too.

Unlike my time with the E-620, I've actually spent my entire time with my Oly E-P2 using almost nothing but primes. These days, the 14mm stays on my camera almost all the time. I carry around the Sigma 30mm with me, but can't recall the last time I used it. I also usually bring my one zoom, the Panny 45-175, just in case I need the far end. (I use my VF-2 to help stabilize when I do.) But my 45mm, 60mm macro, and certainly my non-native, MF heavy, fast 50mm and small, fast & funky 35mm primes haven't seen a lot of use for a long time. Maybe I pull out the macro most out of those four, for cool bugs. Still, it's rare.

I head out next week, and wonder what I should be bringing with me, and how much I might miss with the lack of much of a normal range ability. 35mm FF equivalent is probably my ideal, but I hadn't gotten around to buying the 17mm 1.8 yet, and very well might not at this point, because I think the LX100 might fulfill almost all my needs for a walk-around camera. At least, that's what I'm hoping!

Btw, I am on the precipice of picking up an Oly TG-3 for my underwater needs, even though I know it can't compare for regular shots with my E-P2. (One friend tried to sway me into picking up a GoPro Hero, instead. Any people back up his POV?)

Anyway, that's it. Going to try some underwater stuff, hence the TG-3. Other than that, though, I'd like some thoughts as to what to bring out and carry with me to capture as much as possible without bringing my whole kit. Oh, I am very much considering picking up one of the small wide-angle converters for the Panny 14mm, to get a little wider, too. But this is the first time I'll be traveling without a normal zoom. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. -- My photographic subject matter is really all over the place.

2. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    If your favourite focal length is around 35mm-equivalent, that is the lens you should get...

3. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Bring as much as you can carry. If not, your 14mm, your 45-175 zoom, something in between like your 30mm that you rarely use. I say find a reason to use it when you're there.

I just came from Hawaii last month and brought the only 3 lenses I have. I felt my fisheye, 20mm and 35mm covered my bases well and didn't feel restricted. I would've made do if I just had my fisheye and 35mm.

fisheye

[​IMG]

20mm

[​IMG]

35mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

good luck and enjoy your trip

• Like Like x 1
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I haven't been to Hawaii since swithcing to M43. My second Hawaii trip with Nikon, I took the following:

Sigma 10-20
    Nikon 35mm
    Sigma 50-150 f/2.8
    Tamron 60mm macro

All of these lenses got a fair bit of use. I would have been just as happy with a slower (but longer) Telephoto, especailly if it were stabalized.

If you like flowers, a macro (or a closeup adapter) is fun, the tropical flowers are so different from those in a temperate climate.

So, I'd say something wide (your 14mm is OK, wider might be better). Something long (You can't get close to some of the waterfalls, and things like that. Your 30mm or the 17mm you're thinking about would be something good in the middle (I've found I personally do well with just a prime in the middle, and zooms at the extremes). Something for closeups if you want.

From my kit, I'd take my 9-18, 40-150, 30mm, and the 60mm. Or maybe I'd skip the 40-150 and the 30, but take my 45 instead.

• Like Like x 1