Which lenses for tulip festival?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mintchoco, May 11, 2013.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looking for some advice. I have the EM5 and the EPM1. I plan on bringing both bodies. I'm hoping to put a walk-around lens on the EM5 and perhaps an ultra-wide on the EPM1. I'm thinking of the following combos:

1) O 12-50mm + PL 25mm (or another lens)
    2) O 14-150mm + P 14mm with wide angle converter

Is there any point to bringing primes like the PL 25mm or 45mm? What about the 7.5mm fisheye?

Thanks! Just want some advice.
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I'd take option 1.

Otherwise, the 14-150 and just shoot away.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Whatever lens you take, you'll need a petal-shaped hood :smile:
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Personally, I would bring the 12-50 and the fisheye. The fishey would give you a very wide-angle, and depending on how big the tulips are, could give an interesting "close-focus" shot. The 12-50 gives you a "macro" option, for closeups as well as any insects that are also attending. The 14 or 25 would be nice for taking "people interacting with flowers" shots, but not sure you would need the extra aperture compared to the 12-50.
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
  6. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    I wish I could get to a tulip fest!!!! Have fun!

For my garden shooting I use mostly the 12-50, I can get the wide shots, the longer shots and macro. Light shooting. I've used the 40-150 I have but always forget I need to back up farther, so it's bothersome. But the 12-50 works great for this kind of shooting!
  7. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Depends on your shooting style, I usually don't take macro shots of flowers and I also don't find them appealing, the 1:4 macro that the 14-150 gives would be enough for me, and definitely something for narrower DOF.

I do take a fair few shots with the fisheye, also of flowers to get that "you're all into it" effect, but the pictures I've gotten with it so far with this style are not up to mark, maybe you can get better results.