Which lenses for OM-D E-M10?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FXA2k, Jul 24, 2016.

1. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    Hi,
    Atm I have got a Olympus E-PM1 (which isn't working anymore) , the 14-42 II R and the 40-150 f/4-5.6. So I think it's time to upgrade my equipment now. I'm planning to get the OM-D E-M10 (Mark I), but I'm not yet sure about the lenses. I mainly shoot landscape, nature and city/street.

The Pana 20 1.7 is the one lens I will get for sure. The focal length is very versatile for my photography and I like the small size and good sharpness.

Then I want something wider: One option is the PL 15 1.7, which looks like an amazing lens, but it's quite expensive and not much wider than the 20. The more affordable lens here would be the Pana 14 2.5, although I'm not sure if it's really such a big step up from the kit lens. Rokinon 12mm seems to be nice, manual focusing is not an issue to me. I'm not sure how it compares to the other lenses optically. A zoom option would be the Oly 9-18. And then there is the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye: I think the look can be amazing in some situations and I think it's a lot of fun to shoot. The only thing is that I fear it's not versatile enough and I would use it less than I would use the other lenses. But maybe I'm wrong ;)

My third lens should be a 50mm vintage lens, because I don't use this FL that often and I just want to try out using old lenses. A short focusing distance is important to me, but I don't need a real macro lens. And bokeh, rendering and "character" are more important than sharpness. I would actually appreciate, if the lens created a dreamy look wide open. Which sub 100$ lens is best for my needs?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, afaik most legacy 50mm lenses are not close focusing at all. You can find 50mm Macro lenses for around $100USD, but they will be f3.5 or f4, so you won't get a shallow DoF.
    Non Macro 50's are $10-50 for many f1.8s and some f1.4s (e.g. Pentax Takumar).
    Most adapters are $8-20 on Amazon, or cheaper on eBay from Shenzhen.

Alternatively, the Pana 42.5 f1.7 is close focusing (31cm), but I'm not sure of the current price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    Could I just use extension tubes to make the lens close focusing? Native lenses are not an option, because my budget is limited and I want to try out using legacy lenses.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You can try extension tubes to get some close focusing with legacy glass. Dumb tubes are a cheap option.

You can also look for weird lenses like Cine or enlarger lenses that can give you a decent close-focused image. That is what I do with an old Steinheil München Cassar 75mm enlarger lens and Kaligar 8mm movie lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I would recommend the O9-18. Since you already have the kit zooms, I don't think you will get much from the P14 especially for landscape (since the 20mm should cover your street needs). There is a big difference between 9mm and 14mm pov's and if you want wide, you might as well go to 9mm. The zoom can be found used around $400 which I think is a great value.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    This would be possible as well. Do you know if there is a list of cine lenses suitable for mft?

You're probably right. The 14mm would not really improve my photography or let me take pictures I couldn't take before.

What are your thoughts about the Rokinon/Samyang lenses (12mm and 7.5mm)?

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Check out this thread. There are several members that have tackled weird and unusual lenses.

That's the great thing about mft, all it takes is an adapter* and just about anything can be used.

*Adapters can be mass produced chunks of aluminum milled to good standards or pieces of PVC glued together or everything in between.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I have not used the 12mm at all, but people seem to like it. The difference between 9mm and 12mm is much greater than that between 12mm and 14mm and I decided that if I wanted to go wide, I might as well get the 9-18. Now that I have it, I appreciate the wide angle a lot more and can see myself springing for a 7-14 in the future.

I have tried the 7.5 FE, but don't own it. I liked the results when I used the lens, but I am unsure about my ability to frame and compose with fisheye lenses. I still intend to buy the lens at some point and play with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Honestly I'd look at the Oly 17mm f/1.8 and skip the Pan 15mm & 20mm. Especially if you're thinking the 20 for street shooting. I have no idea how the 20m works on the E-M10 mkI, but I picked one up and turned around and sold it. Turns out the 20mm is one of 4-6 lenses that will not AFF/AFC on the Pan GX85*. I had no idea about this and had nothing else to test it out on.

I had the 17mm and sold it to try a 15mm or 20mm a few months ago since I moved to the Pan GX85 I figured it was a good time to try them (again for the 20mm). So naturally I ended up with both the 15mm & 20mm. :oops: But after trying them for a little bit I decided I was better off the the 17nn angle of view. Luckily I had just finished both sales when Oly had their last discount on refurbs.

*Compatibilities of DMC-GX80/GX85 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

• Like Like x 1
  10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I was unimpressed withe 20 v1 on the E-M10. I got banding as low as ISO 800, and I ETTR. Of course the banding was inconsistent, so I found myself taking many more images than usual hoping at least a couple would be free of banding. I also missed focus a lot if I didn't prefocus manually, and that's hard on my old eyes. I've heard the 20 works better on Panny bodies and would like to try that out at some point, because I really do like the lens otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I support what David said about street photography and the 20mm - I do like the optical quality of the lens (that's why I still keep it), but operation on the E-M10 doesn't feel convincing (and not that much better on the GX80, btw.), contrary to the 17mm f/1.8 which operates extremely fast and reliably. Its optical performance is quite good, though if you like the 20mm for its sharpness and contrast, you might be better off with either the 15mm (though it's expensive) or one of the 25mm lenses - the 17mm can be a bit mellow which may help portraiture; my Olympus 25mm, on the other hand, is very sharp and crisp - images really pop. I use both the 17mm and the 25mm for street photography, but on the E-M10 and the GX80, I actually like the 25mm better - the EVF facilitates quick and precise framing, so the tighter FoV lends itself better to street portraiture in my experience; actually, on the E-M10, the 25mm has been supplanted by the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 mainly for that reason, though rendering has a part in that, too. The small and light 25mm feels right at home on the GX80, though.

So, I can recommend the 17mm if the FoV is important for you, but I think the Olympus 25mm and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are both better deals. I can't say much about the Panasonic 15mm and 25mm lenses since I haven't shot with them, but I'm pretty sure they're all very competitive, too (with the 25mm f/1.7 offering the best value, actually).

I also own and like the Samyang 7.5mm - fun to use, and optical quality is also impressive. But I have to agree that fisheye shooting can be considered an acquired taste - I like it and don't de-fish my results, but many others find it overly strange. The Olympus 12mm is also a nice lens, but too expensive IMO.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I was tempted to hang on to the 20mm, it was sharp. But I don't shoot primes often enough to justify two so close. And with the Oly sale I picked up the 17mm................and the 25mm :oops:

I think I'm done, maybe :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  13. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Pick up a Olympus 9mm f8 Body cap lens. They are selling street price for quite a bit less than the retail $99. A whole lot of fun just to mess around with. Amazon has them for $84.
    P5142267.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    I'd actually prefer a fov of 20-25mm. For general photography the PL15 and even the 17mm is a little too wide for me. And for landscape, I think I would be better off with the 9-18. The Olympus 25 is probably the best alternative to the Pana 20, although quite a bit more expensive when buying used.

What do you think about using a Lens Turbo II (speedbooster clone). Combined with some legacy lenses, I could cover almost all of my needs in terms of aperture and focal length. But I'm not sure how optical performance compares to native lenses and to vintage lenses without speedbooster.

15. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I picked up my O25 for just over $200 LNIB. Looks like the recent sales on eBay have been around $250 vs around $200 for the P20. My observation was that silver ones go for around 10% cheaper than black, so if you are patient and don't mind the silver, you should be able to get one for a good price. And I like the lens a lot, though I am not a street shooter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    I live in Germany and here the Oly usually sells for about 250€, while the Pans can be found for 150€.

17. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That makes a difference. Looking at amazon.de. it looks like the Panasonic 25/1.7 is around 170€ new
    https://www.amazon.de/Panasonic-Fes...025E-K-Lichtstärke-mattschwarz/dp/B014X35XLU/
    which makes it a really good deal as long you don't mind the slightly larger size. Only in Schwartz, though, no silber.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I think @SVQuant@SVQuant is right in also recommending the Panasonic 25mm as well - at the price it sells for new, it's a very good propostion, and it seems to be a very good (i.e. only slightly weaker, if it all, as the Olympus). The 20mm is a great little lens if you don't mind AF performance -but against the Olympus 25mm, it's noticeably slower and noisier. Optically, the 20mm holds its own.

As for adapting lenses: It can be successful, but it often involves trial and error as well as some inconvenience - if you don't mind experimenting (and the occasional failure), it might be well worth it. As far as focal reducers go, they're often interesting - but the resulting FoV and brightness should be worth it in order to justify the additional costs. I'm not familiar with the Lens Turbo, but own a focal reducer, and trying it out has been fun, but not an all-out success - I found quite a few weaknesses in lenses I had had high expectations of, mostly CA that may be the lenses' fault, but maybe also the focal reducer's. The Metabones is said to be extremely high quality and worth it - mine's just decent, but I like good simple adapters better (my Novoflex for Leica M lenses is a case in point). If you already have the older lenses, it's definitely something to try at some point in time - if you have to acquire the lenses first, on the other hand, it may well turn into accumulating mediocre performers ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  19. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    For the wider side, I would run, not walk, to the 7.5 f/3.5 fisheye. Amazing performance, price, and size, and you can defish it. The 12mm-20mm prime space is very crowded.

• Like Like x 1