1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which lenses for Atlanta GA

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So I will be in Atlanta for a few days. I have room for 2 lenses and a flash. Should I bring the 7-14 and the 12-35 or the 12-35 and the 35-100? I could probably get by with just the 12-35, but curious what others would do.

2. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I went there two years ago and I really did not use my longer lenses much. I would certainly bring the 12-35. My widest lens at the time was 14 and I very much wanted for something wider. 12 might be sufficient, but I'm not sure. If you plan to go to the amazing Georgia Aquarium, I'd bring a fast prime. There is not much light and flash is no use.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yeah, something winder than 14 is a must, especially if wanting cityscape downtown type shots. 12mm might be enough, but I think for at night I'd want something fast.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My family lives in Atlanta, Brookhaven and Midtown. I would take the 12 - 35.

5. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    12-35 and 7-14 for me assuming you are primarily interested in landscape/cityscape/architecture/street.

The 12-35 is a no-brainer and could be all you really need, but I'm a UWA junkie.

6. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Atlanta is like the armpit of America. No lens will make it beautiful:tongue:

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    What do you mean the armpit of America. Should I just stay in the hotel?

8. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I know I will take the 12-35. Don't leave home without it. :)

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That's just plain rude; and, wrong. There are plenty of cultural and historical places to visit, great restaurants, etc. It is a lovely city.

Back to lenses, I normally a kit lens, to be replaced by the new O 12-40 and the 17mm 1.8 when visiting Atlanta.

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not sure why that came out...

What are you interested in shooting? Where are you staying (like saying I am going to NYC, but only one borough)? What do you plan on doing there?

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If you have transport to explore other areas Inside The Perimeter, Decatur is a nice town to walk around, especially if there is something going on at the weekend. About 15 minutes from Five Points on the MARTA.

If you see a "Creative Loafing" free newspaper at a coffee shop, it will usually have information on anything going on during the weekend/week.

I would take the shorter lenses, in fact I'd probably just use the 12-35 alone.

12. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    People who come to town and only stay in the downtown and/or convention hall areas have no idea about the real Atlanta. Some areas are very blighted (yet actually often photographically interesting) but there are many beautiful and interesting areas if you just take the time to seek them out. These are places you don't see traveling the main arterial roads. A ride from downtown to Inman Park to Cabbagetown to Decatur to Midtown to the redeveloped Westside to Atlantic Station to upper Midtown to lower Buckhead then jumping off for a winding trip through small and often confusing streets of the exclusive neighborhoods of Buckhead alllllll the way up through Sandy Springs and ending at the beautiful state/city/national parks overlooking the Chattahoochee River never fails to elicit "Wow, so this is the rrreal Atlanta that people people "in the know" rave about." You have to have a car to see it, have to know where to look and have to be willing to "look outside the box" versus being a drone and doing the standard/tired conventioneer list of things to do in Atlanta.

Right now is the best time for people who are interested in photography to visit Atlanta. It is the annual Atlanta Celebrates Photography month. There are many wonderful photo exhibits and programs. Go to their website and browse. It rivals similar events like Houston's FotoFest.
    http://www.acpinfo.org/
    The guide to the events: http://festivalguide.acpinfo.org/listings/index/year:2013/starts:2013-10-14/ends:2013-10-21
    (The event guide can be downloaded as a .pdf to your phone or tablet.)

For a more general listing of quality events (there is even a tab for free events), go here:
    http://www.atlantaplanit.com/

Two good sites with news and ideas about the Atlanta arts scene:
    http://www.artsatl.com/category/artdesign/
    http://burnaway.org/

If you can't find something interesting to do in Atlanta, the problem is a lack of effort or a closed mind.

Oh, and I would take the 12-35 mm lens plus a fast prime ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Well I am at the downtown Marriott for a conference. I will have precious little time to do anything. Meetings get over around 4 each day so after that is all I have. Not sure what I want to shoot as I have no idea what is there. I am right on Peachtree. At the very least I would like to go drink some good beer.

14. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So how is the mass transit in Atlanta?

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not great. For "Subway" you have basically two lines, that run in an +, with 5 points being the middle. From there, you could go over to Little 5 Points (fairly hippy area), with the bonus of going to Vortex for great burgers and beer (and a bit of attitude). Otherwise there is a Vortex in Midtown (want to say 15th & Peachtree?). Georgia Tech runs from North Ave to ~14th street with some older architecture in the middle of campus, and the Varsity is at North and Spring. Decatur is along the right arm of the +, and you are one stop up the vertical part, IIRC. Midtown can have some nice areas, going up to Piedmont park could be nice (huge, starts at ~17th st).

You also have centennial Olympic Park (from the 96 olympics) and the Ga aquarium down near you.

16. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think you are displaying a bad case of opto-recticalis.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Echoing what Cruzan80 said, sadly Atlanta is not one of the cities that you can see without a car. A couple of places that you may want to consider going to are: Martin Luther King center, house & Ebenezer church. The Atlanta Cyclorama is worth a stop. The Grant Park area of Atlanta has some great houses if architecture appeals to you. Piedmont Park is a popular stop. Buckhead and Brookhaven have very good restaurants and shopping. If you like Presidential libraries, Jimmy Carter's library is in Atlanta. A tour of the black colleges will give you some picture opportunities. The Coke tour is popular but not a good photo tour. If you are over near Georgia Tech you might as well stop at the Varsity restaurant to at least say that you have been there.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    There is beer there but it does have the massive amount of craft brewers that you find in the Upper Midwest and the PNW. SweetWater Brewery is the most often seen local brew.

19. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Someone said they thought we were within walking distance of Centennial Olympic Park, the Botanical Center and the Aquarium. Any of those worth a look? And okay to be in after dark by oneself?

I am intrigued by the taste of Atlanta. I have been to something like that in San Francisco and it was great. An thoughts on that?

I am leaning toward the 12-35 and the 25 f/1.4. For the little time I have there seems like those would give me the best options. So little room and so many options. :)

20. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am also told that Max Lager's and Pitty Pats Porch are great places to eat? I am kind of stuck where I am with no car. I could rent a car, but again would just have the time after my meetings were done. Unfortunately these are always great meetings so skipping out to tour about is not a viable option.