Which Lensbaby?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DeeJayK, Jun 27, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've been intrigued for a while with playing with the tilt effect. I've considered picking up a tilt adapter for one of the legacy mounts, but the feedback I keep reading is that they are generally not well built and may inhibit the ability to focus to infinity. I find myself reluctant to spend US$100 (or more) on something that is not going to work well and may fall apart (or feel like it's going to fall apart).

Because of these concerns, I find myself drawn to the Lensbaby products. I realize they are more expensive than the other tilt adapters out there, but it seems that they are very well built and the company has a good reputation for standing behind them.

I've been a bit confused about their various offerings, which their site doesn't do a great job of differentiating or explaining IMHO. I think I've basically figured out that my options are:
    The Tilt Transformer was replaced by the Composer Pro and is no longer being offered direct from Lensbaby, but it still appears to be widely available in the market. The difference between these two, as far as I can tell, is that the Tilt Transformer is basically a tilting Nikon F adapter while the Composer Pro uses Lensbaby's own optics. I'm leaning toward the Tilt Transformer because of the wider range of available optics (not too mention that Nikon F lenses can be acquired more cheaply than the Lensbaby optics).

Does anyone here have experience with any of the Lensbaby products they can share?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Okay. The TT offers the use of Nikon lenses, with easy aperture over every lens, even modern lenses. (This is why this option is the best imo.) Plus limited use of certain lens swap system optics, everything but edge 80 (lol edge 160 for us I guess) and Sweet 35 and the fisheye attatchment. It's basically turned into my legacy nikon mount.

The composer Pro for m4/3 you get to use all lensbaby optics, but no nikon lenses.

I highly suggest TT, unless you really love the sweet 35.

TT with a nikon 50mm 1.8 focal plane tilted camera right.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65464494@N05/6269737558/" title="Nikon 50mm on lensbaby TT by slimmerjim, on Flickr"> 6269737558_20d99c7f4e. "375" height="500" alt="Nikon 50mm on lensbaby TT"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    have you checked the classifieds? It's the best of both worlds.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f17/lensbaby-tilt-transformer-w-composer-28536/
    Someone has contacted me to say they are interested and they wanted to know shipping costs to France. I can put you second in line if "interested" doesn't change into sold. I gave them 24 hours to contact me.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I did see your listing. In fact, it was part of what prompted me to write this post, though I've been kicking around the idea for a while.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The composer plus just mounts onto the front of the TT (or a nikon lens instead), you won't be able to use their best optic (imo) the sweet 35. All the optics plug into the composer. The rear element of the edge and sweet optics won't fit into the TT with composer mounted. The composer pro is a one unit, not split in half.

6. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Just a quick note, the Lensbaby composer doesn't fit the Olympus OM-D E-M5 because of the camera's viewfinder protrusion, so if that's the camera you plan on using it with, you'll have to look at buying a composer for a different mount (such as Nikon or Canon) and then buy an adapter to fit the Lensbaby onto the E-M5.,

The build quality of the Composer Pro and the Sweet 35 and Sweet 80 is much better than the earlier models. Also, the Sweet 35 and Sweet 80 have built in diaphragms and you can change f-stops on them rather than having to insert and remove the aperture rings as in the older style models.