Which Lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thomas, Dec 10, 2011.

1. thomas

thomas New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2011
    I am considering the E-P3 for my next camera. I have decided to get the 14-42 kit lens but would like to supplement it with either the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens or the Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 . What's the consensus?
  2. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    That's a large disparity in terms of the price. A better this or that would be the 25mm leica or the 12mm olympus...

But to answer your original question with a question is what are you planning on using the camera for? What are your needs?
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Aside form the big difference in price, the Olympus 12/2 and Panasonic 20/1.7 have a very different FOV (24 vs 40). They serve different needs and types of photography. I always like the fast 40mm lenses on my old compact RF cameras so I tend to prefer the Panasonic 20 over WA glass like the Panasonic 14 or Olympus 12. That said, it really depends on what YOU want.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree. If you're willing to pay the money for the 12mm/2, then why consider the 20mm/1.7 over the 25mm/1.4?

Personally, I would choose the 12mm f/2 only if I were considering getting the 45mm f/1.8 to go with it. That will give a more varied pair for a two-lens setup. However, for only one lens in the range I would go for the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux.
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I have all 3 lenses that I use with my E-P3, and like having them all because each performs a particular function.

In order of my frequency of use of those 3, it's: 20mm, 12mm and 14-42.

The 20mm is the great all-around lens. It has less distortion than the 12mm, so it an be used for group or environmental portraits. It can focus at very short distances to enable you to fill the screen. It is fast, so you can achieve nice background blur, and be used indoors in a pinch. The only downside, particularly when used with the E-P3, is the tendency to hunt and fail to focus lock in low light.

The 12mm is both my landscape and low-light lens. It is sharp for a wide angle, has a nice wide aperture, and focuses very fast. It's my go-to lens for indoors. It also let's me do zone focusing, making it ideal for candids and street photography. Although it was expensive, I love this lens.

If you can only get one lens to start with, you need to figure out what your needs are first. I started out with the kit, and then bought the 20mm. Only when I realized I needed more, did I get the 45 and the 12 to supplement my kit.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    There's a large difference in focal lengths here.
    Why not just shoot with kit lens for a couple of weeks first so you can get a better idea of what you want. :smile:
  7. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

+1 to RT_Panther, except that I'd shoot for a couple of months as opposed to weeks so you know that you are really getting a feel for the camera and how you prefer to use it. THEN look at your EXIF data to see which focal lengths predominate and make your decision based on your actual usage.

Of course, if the money is burning a hole in your pocket :wink:, just go ahead and buy the lens you really want and enjoy shooting with it.
  8. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Sagely advice!