Which lens? Total beginner here.

Tommy Owen

New to Mu-43
Wow..... This is a lot to take-in but SUPER appreciated.. Thank you all..!

To fill in the gaps (and I apologize for not providing more info), but

1. I am a complete newbie to these higher-end cameras
2. I am definitely interested in the more shallow depth of field *look*
3. I have lots of good lighting gear and will definitely be lighting these interviews
4. After reading all of these replies I'm now torn between the GH4 and the G9 so I'll probably be back asking the same exact question for the G9, lol

Thanks guys!

T

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I have not used either the GH4 or G9, but I understand the G9 is oriented more toward stills. You should get great results from the GH4. I am not any kind of video expert, but I think the 25 f1.7 prime might be a good choice. It would be sharp and you can open up the aperture if you want shallow DOF. It probably would be about the right length for a one-on-one interview and allow you to focus in on the person and give a natural perspective without having to step back too far.

You would probably want to make sure you have a good microphone setup. A microphone near your subject would give you the best signal to noise, and an external mike would yield better sound. I have no specific recommendations, but I'm sure others would have some. :)

Tommy Owen

New to Mu-43
So many options..... I guess my budget for a prime is between $400-$500....

I'm not kinda eye-balling these three but I'm assuming the Sigma may work best for both interview-style AND small short-film type projects?

Really appreciate all of the help here!

• Panasonic 25mm f1.4
  • Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART.
  • Rokinon 35mm Cine t/1.5.

T

Last edited:

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Tommy said

To fill in the gaps (and I apologize for not providing more info), but

1. I am a complete newbie to these higher-end cameras

High end or low end... you are working within the 4/3 sensor, and all the advantages/disadvantages associated with the format

2. I am definitely interested in the more shallow depth of field *look*

The shallower DOF is more about the camera/lens/subject background relationship.. I have no idea of what your expectations of whatever projects you are working on... maybe share some ideas of what you are trying to achieve from others on youtube

3. I have lots of good lighting gear and will definitely be lighting these interviews

Thats good to hear... do you have good audio gear ? Sound is a BIG part of video

4. After reading all of these replies I'm now torn between the GH4 and the G9 so I'll probably be back asking the same exact question for the G9, lol

G9 or GH4 is irrelevant. If you have the GH4 it will deliver... concentrate on the other stuff

Think you need to define the problem you are trying to solve a little better, otherwise you will end up with all sorts of confusing infirmation being shouted from the gallery

cheers

K

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom