1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

which lens to keep?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by aznmochamike, Jun 15, 2011.

1. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    I currently have the GF1 with:
    20mm 1.7
    Rokkor 58mm 1.2
    Rokkor 58mm 1.4
    Rokkor 50mm 1.7
    Rokkor 135mm 3.5
    Rokkor 35mm 2.8

I was thinking of just keeping the 20mm and the Rokkor 58mm 1.2. Also looking to buy the leica DG 25mm 1.4 that is coming out. Do you think i should even keep the 20mm or the Rokkor 58mm 1.2? or just strictly use the leica? I cant decide and cant justify myself. Can someone help me pls??? and reasons why?...

2. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Makes sense to me. Current my main to lens are the Noct-Nokkor 58 f1.2 and the Panny 20mm f1.7 it works very well as a two lens combo.

3. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    yea i love that combo too but then i just hate having to switch lens. so i was hoping that the 25mm 1.4 would be able to replace the 2 and i would only use one

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    25mm and 58mm is quite a different focal length and field of view. I would keep the Rokkor to go with your Leica.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A-pick your 2 favorite focal lengths
    B-buy 2 GF3s
    C-mount 2 lenses on 2 cameras
    D-Voila!

Seriously, what focal length do you use most often? What kinds of photos do you take? Do you find yourself cropping a lot or wishing you had gone wider?

my iPhone sent this

6. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    i like the 20mm (40mm) a lot for parties and gatherings that i go to but then if the 25mm (50mm) is just about the same and since i get a wider aperture then it would also be good for portraits... as for the 58mm (116mm) i like it because it is fun to take pictures with manual focus and all but again, i typically use it to take portraits and with the super wide aperture, i love it and it gets great bokeh... however i have to do a lot of PP with it... if the 25mm can do almost the same... then it would replace both right?... to those who have a similar focal length as the 58mm... what do you use it for?... i do a lot of portraits and events like friend gatherings and parties...

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Depends on the type of portraits that you do. You will find that even with the 25mm focal length, if you get close enough to your subjects it will still result in distortion of faces. Not really desirable.

Sure, you can stay back and then crop the image, but you lose pixel resolution. In addition, the bokeh is different.

Personally I would keep the 20mm f/1.7 and the 58mm f/1.2. Why do you have to do a lot of P with the 58mm?

8. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    i guess i am getting not vivid pictures with the 58mm thats why i have been doing a lot of PP... but someone actually just told me to try setting it on A priority and -1EV

9. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Most modes will not work correctly with legacy lenses. Aperture (A) priority will work however - it allows the camera to meter the photo correctly. Personally I leave the ev compensation alone (+0ev) but some people have recommended lowering it by -1/3 to -1.

Also, a lot of legacy lenses when used wide open tend to be very soft. My Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 exhibited this. Usually 1-2 stops down they become much sharper. The only exception I've found personally is the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 - it was still impressively sharp wide open...

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you shooting the lens wide open, or are you experiencing the same thing stopped down? It may be that the lens needs to be stopped down, but if that's the case you'll still have room to work with the wide f/1.2 maximum aperture. Try it at f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2.0 and f/2.8 and see if that makes any difference.

11. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    yea i've been shooting wide open...

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's probably why, then. Those really, really fast primes have a nice option with the super-wide aperture, but you can't expect the image quality to be the same at those settings. However, when you stop it down you would expect that lens to perform at least as well or better than other lenses which start at that same stopped down aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    ok ill try doing that n see how it goes... would u still push to sell the 20mm n get a 25mm since i do more portraits then i need such a wider angle?

14. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Keep your 20mm at least until we hear word from Olympus. There's a strong rumor that they'll release a fast 50mm m4/3-native lens (sometime this year?)...

15. Using any lens wide-open is not making the best use of it's optics, especially f1.2 on an older lens that was never designed to work with a digital sensor. It's one of those things where just because you can, doesn't mean that you should :wink:. Sure it will give you some very interesting effects at f1.2 but it is nowhere near the aperture sweet spot for maximum sharpness. It is also possible that you will get some overexposed images shooting at f1.2 the whole time. Good luck with your decision. Remember that while 5mm may not sound like much the difference in framing is still significant.

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/panny-20mm-1-7-vs-potential-25mm-1-4-a-12798/index2.html#post117925

The difference between 25 and 58mm even more so. It really depends on what type of images you like to shoot.

16. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    really?? but then on the gf1 it would be a 100mm cuz the crop factor though... that is too narrow FOV