Which lens should I be buying first?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jsusilo, Sep 1, 2012.

1. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi, I'm new to digital photography, my only prior experience on digital is P&S, but recently chose m43 photography simply because of smaller size and lower cost [I assumed this is the main reason for most people too].

I currently own E-M5 along with standard primes i.e. 14mm, 25mm, and 45mm. I like them all but felt been missing the ultra wide and longer portrait / tele, and looking to expand lenses selection with limited budget i.e. under $1000.

My wish list includes 7-14mm f/4.0, 35-100mm f/2.8, and 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 but can only afford one of them at this time but not sure which I should be going for first.

If you are in my position, out of those three, which would I most likely be using it the most in general [not niche] photography terms. Your comments is appreciated. J
  2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd say the 7-14. the 45mm should be good for portraits, and for wide angle the 7-14 is the best in town for UWA. Although you could do the 9-18 Oly but I feel it's too much of a sacrifice to lose 7mm and constant f4.

The 12-35 f2.8 is really your best option imo. but it is over $1000.
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The 35-100 is not out yet and no one knows just when it will be released.
    Only you know what is most important to you, i.e. whether you would prefer to do ultra wide or tele photography, no one can really advise you as only you know where your priorities lie.

4. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012

Thank You for the comment Jim. As you mentioned, 12-35 is expensive and it breaks my heart to be paying over $1200 for just a convenient of zoom lens, when there are outstanding and faster primes to be had in 14, 20, 25, and 45.

I do not plan to use more than 5 lenses total, which is the reason why I'm looking into more of higher quality zoom rather than adding primes now.
    Having more than 5 lenses is just going to make decision making process way too complicated, not too mention the cost and difficulties carrying them around.

I'll be loooking for best deal and availability on 7-14 for sure as this is the closest thing that addresses quality and coverage in UWA. J
  5. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank You Paul. I wish 35-100 is here and fully reviewed, the fact that we dont know when It'll be released and what sort of quality and pricing it'll be, makes decision making not straightforward. I'm actually leaning towards this lens first rather than UWA, but since those uncertainties exist, I'll be going for 7-14 instead. J
  6. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    In terms of the most bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with the Oly 45mm. Still the best m4/3 lens for that price IMHO.
  7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    7-14. And Amazon has them for under $900.
  8. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I second your opinion, the closest second may be 14mm off eBay which is not outstanding compare to 25 or 45mm but hey for $160-170, cant complain too much and a little post processing would do the tricks :--). J
  9. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Yes I tried unfortunately Amazon does not ship to Canada, local stores I called still selling 7-14 over $1k so no luck yet. Anyone has experience buying from B&H to Canada? how is their shipping and return policy [in case its defective]?
  10. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I suggest that you use the great lenses that you already have. That being said, if I were in your exact position, I would do exactly what you are doing. :cool: