1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which lens now?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jerrykur, Apr 13, 2013.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Hi,

Amazon gave me a lot of money for my GF-1/20 mm combo, so I am now in the market for a new lens for my OM-D. Since I no longer have the 20, a 25 mm Pana seems like the logical choice, but I am thinking about that a zoom might be more practical. But, on the other hand a prime 25 or 45) would be faster. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Leica 25mm/1.4 Summilux or Lumix 12-35mm/2.8

3. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    What lenses do you currently own?

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you need a super fast lens? If you are not shooting in the dark or a bokeh nut then an f2.8 lens may be fast enough for you. Zooms are very handy, I prefer them for general shooting. The Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 is suppose to be a very good performer. I would love to have one but the price is a bit steep for me. Of coarse for the same price you could get the 25mm and the 45mm and still have some change left over.

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I've got a 12-50 on the forum for sale @ $225.:wink: Wide, powerzoom and macro all in one. Weather sealed, too. Good for a kitzoom, but not in the 20's IQ league.

I'm not sure if promoting ones lenses is ok. Someone let me know and I'll edit it out.

6. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Regarding the current lenses, I currently have the 14-42 I got with a GX-1 and 12-50 that came with with the OM-D.

Thinking more about it I am biased toward the prime to get the faster speed and bokeh. Now the question is 25 or 45?

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Look at the EXIF data on your pictures. It will list what focal length you use most. If you shoot at or around 25mm then get that one. If you shoot at the long end then get the 45mm.

8. wilerty

wilerty Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2013
    Syracuse, New York
    Bill
    Either the 17 1.8 or the 45 1.8 depending on what you use more. Keep in mind though ... you can always crop the 17, but you can't make the 45 wider.

9. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    How about the BCL-15 body cap lens? No, I'm not kidding. If you shoot outdoors in daytime, you're frequently shooting at f/8 anyways. Set to the hyper focal detent, this lens is about as quick as they come operationally, no autofocus delay to worry about.

Plus, think of the money you'll save!

~Joe