Which lens next?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by daveicrewcut, Feb 19, 2014.

1. daveicrewcut

daveicrewcut New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2014
    Hi there
    I am new to this site and a very "uninformed" m 4/3 user; despite now owning my 4th. I had an Olympus e-500, then a 520, a 620 and quite recently, a e-3. The reasons for 'switching' bodies over the last several years are many but suffice it to say, I have been less than kind to my camera equipment.

I have not invested in many lenses, primarily due to limited funds; 2 teens and grad school have proven to be quite costly. So I have the 2 kit lenses that came with the 520; the 14-42mm f 3.5-5.6 and the 40-150 mm 3.5-4.5. I also have the Ol 70-300 mm f 3.5-5.6. My favorite is perhaps the 70-200mm f2.8-3.5. I use it to photograph my daughters horse back riding and my sons hockey. I also do a lot of walking, snowshoeing and last year bought a 14-54 mm f 2.8-3.5. This is my favorite lens for landscape shots and this is what I now mainly shoot. Or perhaps I should say WAS my favorite lens.

Yesterday, while on my daily trek in the woods, my weimaraner slammed into my side where my camera was hanging and snapped the lens right off the camera body. Thr lens is toast. The weimaraner lived ;)

So now I will go back to using the 14-42 kit lens but it is not as fast or sharp as the one my dog demolished. As I have been considering another lens purchase, I am wondering what to buy next. I stumbled upon this site while researching lens options and realize I have a lot to learn :/ I want to continue with landscape photography but also want to do some portrait work with the kiddies.

You can check out my pics on Flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/nancycoish

Any input, is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  2. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Hi, Nancy and welcome to M43. Just a had a quick spin around your photos - you're good! Love the Wei ...Wey...Waiv ....dog a lot, Im a big dog lover, Spaniel man myself.

Lenses? Yep, they're expensive. Have you thought of getting hold of some "Legacy" items? You obviously know your way around a camera so manual focusing shouldn't be problem for you. I was recently looking at getting the Olympus 45mm for my E-PL5 (only recently got into micro 4/3rds - still got my Canon gear) but having had a lot of recent expense on the house decided to take a look at some legacy lenses instead and started with a 50mm Pentax M. I've run a few shots through it and it's pretty sharp! Nice bit is that it cost me just 15 UK pounds from E.bay and it's immaculate,

Some shots I took with it yesterday here, 3rd post down: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=302&page=120

Glad you kept the dog! :smile:
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi Nancy it seems like you are using the older Four Thirds DSLRs. This is a forum for Micro Four Thirds, a different mirrorless standard that uses the same size sensor. Micro Four Thirds lenses cannot be used on your Four Thirds DSLR so please check clearly before you purchase your next lens. There are forum members here that are more knowledgeable about Four Thirds lenses so hopefully they can help you out.
  4. daveicrewcut

daveicrewcut New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2014
    A hhhh see! Knew I was "uninformed" :-( is there another forum that anyone knows of where i might get educated about my camera and lenses?
    Thanks so much

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For the E-series DSLR's, you can try

I used to have an E-510. Still have the 70-300 zoom that I use on my M43 cameras once in a while.

You might buy another 14-54 too. KEH.com has a good reputation for standing behind used gear. Here's a listing on keh.com. The next step beyond the 14-54 is the 12-60.