Which lens is next?

Alf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"My name is Alf and I am a lensaholic."

That said, I have a problem and need other brains on this.

I bought my E-PL1 months ago and am happily snapping since then. I live in Tuscany, so my shooting therapy is dedicated to historical places, street photography and the usual flowers and statues, which cannot run away.

In a few weeks I'll leave for a long deserved vacation to see the places and people of northern Ethiopia (the so-called "historic route"); instead of a few moments a day, I am expected to be shooting every waking moment..

I rely on the lovely 14-42 kit lens by day, supplementing it with the Konica 40/1.8 and 50/1.4 duo for portraits and short tele, and with two C-mounts(16&25) for available darkness shooting. I also have a K-mount Magnon 35-200 which I use mainly for macro as it is quite heavy to lug along, and somewhat difficult to focus on.

I think I'll get on the plane with the kit lens, the 50/1.4 and the C-mounts as they are tiny.

And this brings me to my question: which lens is next?
  • the Lumix 20/1.7 for better available light shooting inside churches and for evening social moments
  • The Oly 9-18 for street and landscapes - I'm told it focuses quite fast also in low light
  • The Oly 14-150 to have some more reach and faster focusing than the 14-42
  • No lens: the VF-2 to better use the lenses I already have
  • None of the above

Can anyone enlighten me?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
If it were me, I'd pick the most extreme zoom possible (14-150) and any pancake (20 or 17), and be done with it. I'd certainly pack a good compact along because your photography bag may not be always at hand's reach while a compact in a waist pouch is.

Briar

Mu-43 Regular
If it was me, I would take the 14-150mm lens to catch great candid portraits on the streets, the 20mm lens for indoor and evening shots and the 9-18mm for the stunning Ethopian landscapes. Lucky you, not only do you live in one of the most beautiful and photogenic countries in the world, you also get to travel to amazing places too! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures on your return whichever lenses you choose to take with you.

Briar

Mu-43 Regular
Heck, just read your post again Alf ... I'd also buy the vf2, good job I'm not shopping for you as I'd cost you a small fortune!

e-pl1

Mu-43 Regular
A true lensaholic will get a second job and get all of these lens :D

If I was you, I would get a 20 Pana
Fast, light, fast focus, sharp...

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I saw a rumor that with the success of the 20/1.7 Panasonic was going to bring more fast primes to the market sooner and may announce them at Photokina.

That would be a pleasant surprise.

shoturtle

20 1.7 if you do allot of social and indoor shooting
the 9-18 if you are a bid landscape guy.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well if you're shooting AF then the VF2 is less of an issue but IMHO it is an absolute must when using MF lenses.

Kevin

Latest threads

Top Bottom