Which Lens for Fun? Sigma 56mm? O75mm? 42.5mm?

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both the Lumix 42.5mm f1.7 and the Sigma 56mm f1.4. I like having both and wouldn't think the 75mm f1.8 would get much more than the Sigma delivers.
It doesn't for potraits but its reach for other situations can be invaluable.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Out of those, my two favourite lenses are the Sigma 56 and the Oly 75. Up until I got the Sigma, the Oly 75 was my all-time favourite lens (not just m4/3...but any system I've ever used). I absolutely love the focal length, it's small and light, sharp, has beautiful bokeh, etc.

Then I got the Sigma 56...and wow. I haven't used the 75 since, and I'm actually thinking of selling the Oly lens. The Sigma is unreal sharp. Right from 1.4, it's crisp with beautiful colours and contrast. That, and of course, beautiful bokeh, and low light performance. If it was a little longer FL, I'd sell the 75 in a flash...the Sigma is THAT good. Pick up either one, and you'll love it!!

EDIT: I also used to have the 45 1.8, but sold it as soon as I got the Sigma 56...I can see using my 75 for street photography, even with the 56 in my bag, but I can't see myself ever using the 45 when the 56 is also at hand.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
The O75 was the reason I sold all my Canon gear and made the final leap to Oly (before that I had two systems, Canon FF for non-travel, Oly for travel).

And yet...my suggestion is Sigma 56. Yes, it's THAT good. I love my O75, but the Sigma is sharper at 1.4 than the Oly is at 1.8, and it's fun to play with! It's also cheaper and smaller and lighter. Especially with Xmas lights coming up...the 56 would be fun! :D

EDIT: Also, I've owned a couple of copies of the 45...it's okay. It was my first Oly prime, and I used the heck out of it. But it doesn't come anywhere close to the Sigma 56. As soon as I got the Sigma, I sold the 45 immediately.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The Sigma is too close to my O60mm in focal length. I would love the )75 for the extra reach, but it is not much different and it has no OIS. We shall see.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I had just similar thought as OP. Wanted a lens "just for fun". But didn't want to pay so much (otherwise I would have just got the Nocticron). And I thought it would be nice with AF so that made the decision easier. Found the Sigma 56 on good price and bought it. Got it today. Have been playing around with it and it is fantastic! I like taking photos of items and this lens is perfect for that :)

Will post some random photos in the showcase thread soon:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/sigma-56mm-f-1-4-dc-dn.101714/

_1030990.jpg _1030987.jpg

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
narrow depth of field is directly contrary to small camera size

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Sigma 56 for fun factor. I have/ had all the lenses mentioned and the Sigma 56 is always the most rewarding for fun factor and results and would be the one I would keep if I could only have one. The Oly 75 is useful if you can't physically get closer. The Pana 42.5 1.7 is useful if you can't get further away (I prefer it to the Oly 45 1.8 as it is sharper wide open in my experience). A Panaleica 42.5 1.2 wide open is a sublime experience of a more 3D look... perfect if 42.5mm is exactly right for the job... especially head and shoulder portraits. The Oly 75, for me, compresses perspective too flat for head and shoulders... but superb for full length if you have the space. The Voigt 42.5 wide open has a look that would be hard/ impossible to create in processing... you either love it or hate it. For me, if it had AF, it would be top of my list... a choice of the "look" wide open (if it had AF making it practical to use) and more conventional looking as you stop down. Unless you could use CAF wide open at f0.95 for a head and shoulder shot, trying to get an eye in focus is a lottery... just body sway is enough imbetween shots to throw it out... not my idea of fun.

An Oly 25 Pro 1.2 has some of that magic look wide open and is an option if the background does not to be completely blurred out (for full length portraits)... for environmental head and shoulders (need for background context), it is my first choice (or if I am very cramped for space). The Oly Pro 17mm 1.2 is another superb choice for environmental portraits or if cramped for space... the most all round lens I have ever owned... a combination of some "magic" in rendering and outright sharpness.

PS... as much as I like the Sig 56, it is the first lens (of countless) that I find sometimes really needs the hood... if a very bright light source is on the edge of the frame or near the edge, it throws a rainbow across the frame... and not a pretty one at that. I bought a shorter screw in metal hood to leave on the lens... the only hood on any lens I use permanently... and completely solved by even my shorter hood solution. Its an unusual problem, but real. All lenses have flare in the above situation, but this one is quite "spectacular"... and not in a nice way.

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
narrow depth of field is directly contrary to small camera size
Uh, not true. My Sony FF A7RIV is just about 1/4" smaller in width, but 1/4" taller and deeper than my EMI MKIII, and is smaller than my G9, but it has 1/2 the depth of field of those 2. Many times with close-up 3/4 body portrait shots I have to stop down my Zeiss Batis 85mm lens to f2.4 or more to get both eyes in focus because of the narrow DOF. But if you had said narrow depth of field is directly contrary to small SENSOR size, I would have agreed :wink:

Anyway I am impressed by the photos of the Sigma 56mm f1.4 posted in the Showcase thread here. Having both the 75mm f1.8 and the 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron I see a need for this lens, so I put an offer in on GT this morning and am awaiting confirmation, for around $400, what is not to like? It being weather resistant is a big part of why I bought it, this will be the portrait lens I take on my next trip to Thailand. As my Thai wife and I will be there for about 2 months, the chance of rain any day is possible. Always made me shoot hesitantly with the Noct and the 75, as neither are WR, but now with this Sigma and the 17mm f1.2 Pro I will have 2 excellent WR primes to go along with the 3 WR Oly f2.8 Pro zooms.

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Well, the OP hasn’t been around since last November, but for others who might want some inexpensive fun in the mid-telephoto range, check out @barry13 ’s lenses for sale, or find some other vintage glass and a cheap adapter. A good quality f/1.4 nifty fifty or 58mm and learning manual focus techniques may scratch that itch without digging a deep hole in your wallet. Barry even has some 135mm lenses, if longer glass calls out to you. It worked for me, hence the free plug.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
narrow depth of field is directly contrary to small camera size b/c of the sensor sizes

- that help?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom