1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which lens for Ballet and/or Karate?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DizzyV6P, Apr 26, 2012.

1. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I've got an E-M5 with my name on it on the slow boat from Japan. In the meantime, I've started to look at the lenses that I might need.

I ordered my E-M5 w/ the kit lens and 40-150 ($150..can't beat that!).

My daughter dances ballet and will also be starting karate this summer. On my Canon system, I used to use my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 85 f/1.8 for the indoor shots.

I'm looking at the Olympus 45 f/1.8 (90mm equivalent) for this purpose. But a low light zoom, probably f/2.8 would be best for this.
    What would you all recommend for these types of indoor shots.

Thanks!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Why would a zoom be better for this than a sharp prime 1 1/3 stops faster? I think the 45mm you're already getting is likely the best lens for this purpose. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring the fact that prime vs zoom is a personal preference and you may be more accustomed to zooms. I'm just saying that if you get used to it, you'll probably find the prime will get the job done nicely.

There is however a Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 coming later this year which would also be ideal for you. Or the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 (also coming) might fit the bill as well... but I'd guess the 35-100mm for the type of activities you're shooting, but I haven't been to your venue either so I may be wrong.

What kind of Canon body were you using the lenses you had on? Was it a Full Frame or APS-C? If APS-C, then you might want something longer than 45mm to replace your Canon 85mm f/1.8. The upcoming m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 (again, later this year) would be the perfect replacement for the Canon 85mm f/1.8 on an APS-C body. For a Full Frame body however, the already-here m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would suit better.

If you want a nice sharp fast zoom that's currently available, get the MMF-3 mount adapter and the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II (make sure it's Mark II with the blue ring). It won't autofocus as fast as a native lens, but it will still AF the fastest of its class of lens available currently for the format (until the new native options arrive later this year). It should also be noted that this adapter/lens combination is fully weather sealed with your E-M5 body, and will also give you access to many more pro-grade lenses from the Zuiko Digital collection.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    check out the panny/lecia 25mm f1.4 or the sigma 19mm f2.8, i just got my oly 45mm f1.8 yesterday, very sharp @ full res for me but i'm going to take more pics...

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    f/3.5 is pretty much the fastest there currently is in a native m43 zoom lens. If you need something relatively quickly, and want AF, you will need to look at adapting a regular 4/3rds lens from the HG or SHG lines (chaching!!) like the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5, the 35-100 f/2, or the 90-250 f/2.8.

Otherwise, wait for new lenses to be released, or go with some old MF lenses...

5. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for your insight Ned. You really helped me out in the other thread while I was mulling over selling my canon set-up. I USED to have a Canon 40D (APS-C).

It looks like either the 35-100 f/2.8 or the 12-35 f/2.8 might be my best bet. I never know where I might be sitting in a ballet performance or karate dojo, so primes are not really good for it. During practice in a studio room the Canon 85 f/1.8 was perfect. It was also good for shots of ice-skating (my daughter decided she didn't like falling during jumps all the time so I'm off the hook on getting up at 4AM if she had decided to seriously compete)

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS I or II was the king of indoor sports and many of my friends have also used the 100 f/2.8 and 85 f/2.8 for basketball or volleyball shots.

Any estimates on the price of those two Panasonic lenses?

For walk around primes, I considered the Panny 20 f/1.7 however, I never really used my Canon 50 f/1.8 at all. So I'm not sure if the 20 will be much use to me. That leaves me with the Panny 14 f/2.5 and the Oly 17 f/2.8 for the wide low lights. I would love the 12 f/2.0, but that's too $$$ for me right now.

Thanks for your recommendations on this!