Which lens for a kid's outdoor birthday party?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by maritan, Feb 18, 2015.

1. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I will be going to a kid's birthday party sometime in March basically because the mom and dad are friends with my wife. I'm not very keen on it because I'm generally not my best in large social circles, never mind a social circle with kids, moms and dads (we don't have kids). I will be going because even though my wife says I don't need to go, she will really appreciate it if I made the effort to go. To offset my disinterest in this party, I'm planning on taking my camera (E-M1) and take candid pictures of the kids and adults.

Here are the lenses I have:
    12-40 pro
    40-150 pro (and 1.4x)
    60mm f2.8 macro
    75mm f1.8

If it's anything like the party in 2014, it is going to be in a large park under most likely strong/ flat sunlight (safe guess seeing I'm in AZ). There will be a bounce house or similar for kids to play around. Eventually there will be a pinata for kids hung under a shaded tree to break open to get to the candy inside with everyone gathered around in a relatively tight circle.

As I mentioned earlier, I will only be taking candid pictures. I'm not comfortable getting people to pose. And this will purely be for (my) entertainment, not a paid gig.

Which lens would you recommend from the ones I have? Or would you recommend another lens that I don't have? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would take the 12-40 and 75/1.8. Probably I'd use the 75/1.8 for 99% of the shots and the 12-40 for one pinata shot and the birthday candle sitdown.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Good advice. Thanks! I love how the 75mm renders pictures. There's just something about it.

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    12-40 & 40-150. I shoot a lot of grandkids' parties (now six per year) and use the 12-35 & 35-100 pair on two bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    +1 for this. Though I like Amin's suggestion for the 75mm but with Kids I like to have options. Ive missed shots with long prime lenses because they decided to walk towards me :mad: Bad kids, stay where you are! hehe jk :rolleyes: But I'm usually on the 12-40pro at parties. Waterproofing helps too!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While it depends on the location my first pick would be the 40-150. A 70-200 is my go to lens at receptions. The 12-40 would be good for groups. If you don't want to bring the 40-150 then bring both the 60 and 75 in case the space is smaller.

7. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I missed the part about the candids and large park. I retract my statement. The 75mm will be the lens with the most keepers. ;)

8. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the input folks. Not sure when this party is, but at least I have a plan now.