1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which lens/es has/have been the biggest surprise so far ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Minniesmum, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I'm thinking more of in a positive way. I have 3 OM's, a Canon and a Nikkor, and some Adaptall's -all from 35mm days.
    But so far the most pleasant surprise has been my little Pentax Auto 110's. The 18mm and the 50mm. Digital is showing up their qualities whereas 110 film didn't.
    What are yours ??

2. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    The 105mm pre set Soligor f2.8 (t mount) is very sharp even wide open,, contrasty, lightweight and cost $5

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I've been pleasently surprised by my Canon FD50mm f1/8 breechlock version. I do like the way it renders photo's, it has a nice look to it.
    Also my Panasonic 14mm f2/5 has surpised me, my two most viewed photo's on flickr was taken with this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    My biggest pleasant surprise has been the old Pentax Takumar 50/4 macro I had laying around. It focuses down to 1:1 The lens is set very deep in the body so there's always a "lens hood" on. It has a preset aperture ring so it's easy to focus wide open and then flick it down to my preset choice.

The best part is the images that come from it. It's very sharp but not clinical. The contrast is lower than a modern lens but it can be pushed up a bit in post if needed. Basically it makes pretty images.

Day_Lilly.

My biggest negative surprise was my Olympus OM 85/2. It was one of my favorite lenses in my film days, always battling for top honors with my Tamron 90/2.5 macro. It performs very badly until stopped down to f/5.6. At that point my Panasonic 14-45 is better.

Fred

• Like Like x 5
  5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Interesting...a friend "loaned " me his Canon FD 50MM F1.8. The adapter arrived yesterday. Took it out this morning and the results were very pleasing. Also loving my 14mm F2.5 which I've had for 3 days ;)

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    My Pen F Zuiko f1.4 40mm is a favourite. Compact, fast, nice rendering and smooth action.

In terms of an under-appreciated but enjoyable native lens I'd have give props to the Oly 17mm. Sure its no 20mm but its still pretty good in its own right (and its cheap!)

• Like Like x 3
  7. LindaZ

LindaZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    a vintage nikon 28mm F2.8 is a joy to use, it's razor sharp.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    My biggest pleasant surprise goes hand in hand with my biggest disappointment. I really like the Fujian 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens commonly available via eBay for $35 or so. My biggest disappointment came when I realised I like it much, much more than the Oly 45mm f1.8 lens I bought later (and have subsequently sold). I just really like the rendering and color of the 35mm f1.7 compared to the Oly 45. The Oly lens to me seemed so clinical in comparison, which wasn't what I was after in a portrait lens.

9. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Just picked up the newer version of this lens (no breech lock), for $6 with working A-1 attached. Seems cheaply built compared to my older FD's, but will give it a try on the Oly E-P2.

10. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Tamron adaptall 90/2.5 and sigma 24/2.8

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

11. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    The pentax 110 50mm is my biggest surprise. Tiny, easy to focus, beautiful bokeh...
    What has surprised you about the 18mm?
    My hexanon 40mm is very nice, but huge with the adapter. Thankfully its fairly light so it's just about usable. My cctvs are crap (24 and 25mm). And nikon, even other konica ar are unuseable with the adapters...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Best surprise...Konica 24/2.8 for how graet stuff looks when shot with it
    Biggest "I forgot about that" surprise...Panasonic 20 for how freakin' sharp it is
    Worst surprise...Jupiter 8 for having a close focus distance of about mile

13. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    12mm f 2.0... really surprised me, i don't like wide angle, but its prove to be a good lens :p

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Biggest surprise: the Minolta MD Zoom 75-150/4. Sharp, nicely handling. Never thought I would use this odd-ball zoom range but I do, it's in my bag when I'm not gonna need the Minolta macro 100/4. And that 100/4 surprised me too, not by being good but by being better than everything else including Nikkors 55/3.5 and 105/4 macros and a Vivitar/Kiron macro 105/2.8.

A bit of a negative surprise was the Minolta Rokkor 85/2. It wasn't bad but it couldn't hold a candle to the MD 100/2.5. It's the only Minolta lens that I have let go of my collection, I don't like to have a lot of money tied up in a lens I don't like.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I prefer the Pentax 50 over the 18 but the 18 is so petite and wide and also easy to focus.

16. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    As for me, the biggest surprise was the discovery of possibility to use adapted lens with m4/3 at all :)

But Canon FD 50/1.4 is far better than the kit lens and cannot be compared with 14-42 and 70-300 from the 4/3 system.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    agree on the ability to use legacy glass ! I'm just loving learning manual focussing again and to be able to use these quality old lenses is amazing.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:confused::confused:
    ?But why would u compare a USD400 prime from Canon with kit lens ?I don't think thats fair comparison . Its like comparing customised 21 inches Alloy wheels fitted on ur SUV vs 16 inches routine stuff which comes with it when u buy it ...lol
    :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    you know what they say Bhupinder.....it's the " nut behind the butt " lol. A great lens does not make a great photographer ;) on that note I'm off out with my Canon FD 50mm f1.8....

Cath

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ya Cath
    Its a photographer which makes the camera and lens great ..otherwise all so called Leica users and big FF fat camera users will be world famous by just buying showing the camera receipt ..lol:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1