Which Lens do you use the most

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by cinzen, Aug 7, 2013.

1. cinzen

cinzen New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2012
    Am going on a shoot to Morocco and wondered which lens will be the best to use? Pany (old) 20 or Oly 45...
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    take both... at any time you will have a small lens on the cameras and another in your pocket

the whole point of a camera with interchangeable lenses is that you can change lenses to suit the the shooting opportunity

there is no 'best' lens.. only the best lens to take the photo you want

add a 14mm panasonic. which is tiny, to your kit and you have wide, normal and short telephoto in a stupidly small package... go ask a Nikon or canon guy to cover that range and speed

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    20/1.7 at the expense of my 12-50 and legacy lenses.

Second is my Hexanon 50/1.4
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I second the 14mm. I counseled at a junior high church camp last week and only took the 14mm on my GX1, it was perfect for just about everything I used it for. It's just an indispensable lens.
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Depends. What do you plan on shooting? And what focal lengths do you enjoy shooting?
  6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    I spent the weekend away and deliberately limited my kit and didn't take a zoom. I took the Pany 14 and the PanaLeica 25. You can slip either in your pocket although the 14 is by far more compact. The only time I missed my 14-54ii was when it started raining. Weather sealing is a real benefit.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would take every piece of camera gear I could carry to Morocco.
  8. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    I use 45mm a lot as I love street portrait photography. I don't have the 20mm as my 25mm is a fine partner for my 45mm. I'm sure your 20mm would be too. Bring both!
  9. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    20 if only one. 45 would be a good people lens but its Morocco you are likely to want to not be too long. Also you likely would need a uwa as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    If you could only take one, definitely the 20m. However, I imagine you are going to be better served by a zoom if you only have room for one lens, since you could have a wide variety of shooting situations.

I am with Kevin... bring them both and if you have a few hundred, pick up a used 14m. Between the three, that is a tiny kit
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think Kevin hit the nail on the head - why not take both? I am sure if you only take one you will regret not having the other. Adding the 14 would take care of your wide angle needs and at a relatively low cost and very small size add considerable capability.

My light kit is the 14/20/45 combination.
  12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Take mighty 20 and lots of regrets because you left the glorious 45 home ;-)
  13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    :crying:My epm2 combo with 17mm 2.8 pancake just too easy to carry with me everyday, my omd and the other lenses start left home few months ago,
  14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    20 and 45 is a good combo.
  15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    With m43... I would take everything anywhere actually :biggrin:
  16. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Take as many as possible,
    Which is a lot. So take both at least. Then go buy another lens and take that one. :)
  17. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I plan to travel a lot in the future and I definitely cannot take all of my lenses.

I have the small PM2 and with either the 20 or the 14, I can actually leave my P&S camera at home. I can't say enough about either of these lenses because A) they're small, B) they're good in low-light, C) both sharp (20 sharper), and D) they're great for city streets or indoors when you need something wider. No other lenses except maybe the 17/1.8 can make these claims.

If I were at a zoo or any other wide-open area, however, I would prefer the 45 to either of the above. If I were traveling, the 45 and either the 14 or the 20 would suffice.

If I were visiting a place for a few months, however, I'd take a few more lenses. I can't afford the very practical 12-35 or 35-100, however, I do have both the 14-42 and 40-150. What I CAN live without is most of my legacy lenses. The 135 is too long and the 28 is a nice length but I don't need it. I'd leave out the 40, 52, 55, and 57. I would definitely take a good 50mm prime, however.

BOTTOM LINE: 20mm is THE lens for m4/3s and would by my ONE choice. If you allowed me to take my P&S, however, I'd take the 45mm in place of the 20. Let us know what you pick!
  18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    When I travel, I always find that wider is much more useful than longer.

The 20 is a really nice lens, but if you can, get something wider than the 20.

A 14-4x zoom would be awesome (and economical). A 12 or 12-xx zoom would really be wonderful. How about that 9-18!!!

Take whatever you are able to cobble together to that special place and make some magic with your camera.
  19. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    I visited Marrakech last year, unfortunately before I had my m43 kit. Most of the pictures I took where in the 14-45 range.
    If I where to go again the one lens I definitely wouldn't leave at home is the 20. Perfect for low light in the soeks and markets in late evening. Most pictures I took at these 2 places turned out blurred because my kit lens wasn't fast enough.
  20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That's really a matter of preference, and depends on how many lenses you have ;)

Also your photography style and priorities. My absolute minimum travel kit would be 1 camera body (E-M5, want the viewfinder) and 1 standard zoom (12-35), because travel often involves less than optimal situations where you can't move to get 'ideal' framing. I add the Sony RX100 because it is actually pocketable in every pair of pants I own. And has great files, particularly in sunlight.

I never take legacy primes along with the MFT, something I did do with the Canon. Because the Zeiss 50/1.4 renders gorgeously, 50mm is great on FF (and 'meh' on 2x crop, for me), and is smaller/lighter than my good AF 50mm (the Sigma).