Which lens do I buy now?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have a good range of :43: lenses but lack something in the long zoom range. The prices for the new Oly 70-300 and the Pana 100-300 are a stratospheric $900 odd and out of my reach.

That leaves two choices:
    Pana 45-200mm - Competitively priced ($270) and includes OIS. Some reports of softness at the extreme range but a 'native' lens so focus is pretty quick.

Oly 4/3 70-200mm - available for around $300. Not stabilised on the GH1. Extra reach but is it hand-holdable. I have the necessary adapter. Unsure about focus speed. Well regarded for price on a 4/3 body.

Advice gladly sought.

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I'd go for the Panasonic, principally on the grounds that it's a native lens, with the size and weight benefits that attracted me to the format. The OIS is a bonus, of course.

3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    My comments may only partially apply as I use an E-P2
    I find the 4/3 70-300 extremely slow focusing, and at the long end sometimes it won't focus at all in less than good light conditions, and I don't find the AF to be very accurate.
    Trying to MF handheld at 300mm can be tricky ...
    It's a solid lump of a lens but it can be handheld. Couldn't really use it without a viewfinder though.
    I think the crucial question is what you want to use it for, how you use it, and what compromises you are prepared to accept.
    A small target at full stretch is going to be pretty soft.
    If you can use a support, whether a tri- or mono-pod, or a beanbag, I reckon you can get some very acceptable results.
    There are a couple of other threads on this subject elsewhere on the forum with images which prove how well it can be made to work I think.

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/olympus-70-300mm-e-p-l-1-2-can-done-2038/

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/300mm-more-epl-1-a-3668/

A few people use it as a macro too, and I've certainly managed a few really gorgeous images of (e.g.) dragonflies.
    Forum member Christilou does some lovely flower work with one as well, worth having a look at her gallery.

hope this helps!

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You have THE ADAPTER.
    Olympus 70-300 seems good value for money.
    It'd be my next lens purchase if I had THE ADAPTER, but I'm not shelling out over a hundred quid extra for that thing.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

OK reality check. I'm not going to be happy with either lens (I have actually owned and sold both at different times).

With the AUD at 95c of the USD I have pre-ordered a new 100-300 Panny from Amazon. Now let's see how long I have to wait in the queue.

• Like Like x 2