Which kit lens to get with the E-p3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011

I an ordering an E-p3 and will be selling the kit lens. Here in Canada body only is not available yet. I have the 14-150mm and satisfied with it and planning on getting a Pany 20mm so don't really need the 17mm.

So witch of the 2 kit lens will sell better, the prime or the zoom or if I decide to keep one which is the best choice.

Thanks for your advice

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    First, wait 'til Halloween for a Witch kit lens... :biggrin:

Second, if you look on eBay for the two lenses, check Completed Listings. If you don't see it, click Advanced next to the Search button and then check 'Completed Listings'. This will give you a pretty good idea which lens is getting better value.

Good luck!
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well if you might get stuck with either, I'd get the 17... Saying you have * many primes sounds fancier than * many zooms ;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  4. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    You could easily look up some numbers on e-bay but i'm guessing if you're looking at resale the 17mm probably fetches more than the zoom but not by much.

However, if you're looking at adding something to your kit it seems like the zoom might be useful since it is more compact than the 14-140 while I can't imagine using the 17mm if you get the 20mm. In fact, my 17mm is for sale and a 20mm is on a brown truck headed this way.
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I've been trying to figure this out myself.

The kit lens is the new version, which ought to be the fastest focusing lens--blazingly fast. The 17mm is NOT redesigned (to my knowledge) so might be pretty slow. I personally think kit zooms are way underappreciated and would go for that one, figuring it's speed would be a huge plus. Don't know how fast the other lenses will focus on the E-P3, but I'm pretty sure they won't be as fast as the kit zoom.
  6. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I've been wondering the same thing. Now that I've upgraded with an E-PL3 I don't want no slow lenses ;) Maybe the 45mm is next on the list and wait till the 17 is upgraded or replaced.