1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which kit lens to buy with OM-D E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Transalp01, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I'm about to buy an OM-D E-M10. But I can't decide if and which kit lens to buy.

I will not use the kit lens very much, maybe only one or two vacations every year and then I might use my GX1 with it.

Should I buy the "old" 14-42 II R or the " new" 14-42 EZ with the camera or buy the camera without lens and buy a used Pana 14-42 PZ for my GX1?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It seems that you like zooms in the range, given that you would buy another for the GX1. The new one is fairly compact and seems to be one of there better kit lenses from the reviews I've seen.

3. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I do not like zoom lenses very much but I like to be able to bring my camera without bringing three prime as I almost always do today (Pana 14/2,5, Sigma 30/2,8. Oly 45/1,8).

4. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I have the new 14-42 EZ lens and I like it. It's very small and convenient. I also have the automatic lens cap which is fine, but seems overpriced at $40. The electronic zoom mechanism works pretty well, and that was my one hesitation about the lens. I bought it to pair with the 17/1.8 when I want to travel light.

• Like Like x 1
  5. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    No brainier to me as I already have the regular kit from a previous camera and plan to buy it when I've saved up: the new, super thin EZ 14-42mm would be my choice!

6. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    Will the EZ 14-42 work on my Panasonic GX1?

7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Does anybody know if the new EZ lens will work with the Olympus WCON-P01 Wide Converter? The EZ lens seems to have the same diameter as the older 14-42 II R, but the descriptions of the WCON-P01 Wide Converter I have seen only mention the older lens as being compatible. Perhaps the descriptions just haven't been updated for the new lens? This would greatly influence me in which I would get because I definitely want to get the wide converter. It seems like a really handy way to get to extreme wide-angle without carrying a lot of equipment (i.e. another lens).

8. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I ordered a silver E-M10 with EZ 14-42 and a grip. To bad it was not in stock :'( I have to wait one or two weeks.

Skickat från min GT-I9305 via Tapatalk

9. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    The EZ pancake zoom trades some IQ for more portability. Honestly though, the 14-42 II R is ALREADY tiny imo, so for me, I didn't feel the need to take an IQ hit for an even smaller lens. Your needs may be different though.

10. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I have both the pancake zoom and the standard zoom and don't see any difference in IQ.
    For me, the size of the pancake zoom is great for travel.....it is so small.
    I also don't enjoy the locking mechanism on the standard zoom.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I recommend starting out with the Oly 17/1.8. gives you a 35mm FOV, super sharp, instant focusing, good for shooting in low light.

From there you can branch out. I understand the desire to not want to bring multiple lenses, however, if you want top notch performance from a zoom, you are looking at one of the f/2.8 PRO zooms.

So, your decision comes down to convenience or price.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It does? We have both and we have been swapping them out a lot and the IQs are roughly the same. We like the form factor of the EZ . There is a huge difference in size between the EZ and R, I think that the EZ is a perfect short zoom if you are primarily a prime shooter. I carry it with the O17.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13450023024/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a picture that I previously posted, the 14-42 II R vs. the EZ plus body. I think that this picture says it all.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/12983045883/player/" width="600" height="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 4
  13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Ditto.

Plus, someone just posted that you can control the zoom of the 14-42EZ via wifi, which is pretty cool. To me, that's just another good reason to buy this lens if you're going to get a kit lens.

14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    As you are occasionally going to use the lens on a GX1 why not get the Panasonic 14 - 42mk2
    This is super compact and only slightly larger than the Olympus 14-42R with equivalent or better IQ (gets good reviews), hardly extends when it zooms and has the advantage of O.I.S when used on your GX1
    Re the 14 - 42mm EZ lens. I am unsure but the extending elements collapse back into each other on this lens . This may mean that there is no bayonet on the end to attach the WCON adapter to (or FCON or MCON P01) ?
    Regards
    Rob

15. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I would like to know the answer to this too. As I asked in an earlier post in this thread, I would like to know if the EZ is compatible with the WCON adapter. Even if no one has the combo of the EZ plus the WCON, at least some feedback on the presence of the mount at the end would give us a clue. Some help, please! :smile:

16. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Hi, there is no "bayonet" type mount on the outside of the lens. You can use filters (the little 37mm ones), but they sit inside the collapsing/extending components where the tiny lens cap goes. The Oly 45 mm lens, for example, takes 37mm filters, but has that outer ring bayonet mount that is wider. The EZ does not.

While I do not have the WCON, the MCON-P01 (older version) does not work with the EZ as is (perhaps with a step down ring?). MCON-P02 supposedly does work with the EZ.

17. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Thanks very much for your answer, Wendy. It is very helpful to me because it sounds like I would want the older R lens in order to use the attachments.

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

If you are hardly going to use it, then I would suggest buying what ever is the cheapest kit lens or the one you can sell the fastest. Then sell it right away and with the money you can put it towards the Panasonic 12-32mm kit lens. It can serve as your wide angle lens if you need it and would make a great vacation lens on your GX1.