1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which kit for New Orleans

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, Apr 4, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So I have the em5, which is going. I am unsure which lenses. I have:

Panasonic 7-14
    Panasonic 12-35
    Panasonic 35-100
    Panasonic 100-300

I can't imagine much use for the 100-300 in New Orleans. I am pretty sure of the 7-14 and the 12-35.

Do you think I should figure a way to take the 35-100. It could go in my jacket pocket.

What do you think?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    100-300 for swamp shots!:eek:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 100-300mm will only get a close-up of the beads. The 35-100mm can shoot the whole boobs. The 12-35mm can get the boobs and beads in a headshot. The 7-14mm can get the whole girl with all her body paint, even if she's right on top of you.

Or are you not going during Mardi Gras? :D

4. The 100-300 for activity on the river or Lake Pontchartrain.
    See if there is to be a regata at the yacht club. Spinakers out gives great shots.

Put in a plug for Angelo Brocato's Spumoni.

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am not sure there are swamps in New Orleans. All of my time will be spent in the city.

Thanks. Someday I may get to go back on vacation and will take all.

6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    No mardi gras and hopefully no boobs. I am more interested in architecture and scenes.

Thanks though.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I should have mentioned I am there for meetings so will have precious little time to shoot. I am lucky to be right near the French quarter so a quick walk to much shooting. But no time to travel to nearby sights.

Thanks. I think I will try to take the 35-100 too.

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I would take
    Panasonic 7-14
    Panasonic 12-35
    Panasonic 35-100

also add extra batteries, and a microfiber cloth. The street and architecture is beautiful. I was down there last year for the Jazz Fest and other activities(drinking on Bourbon St). My whole time I don't think I ever needed anything more then the 55mm length of my lens.
    On a prior trip to the Jazz Fest, I did spend some time in the swamps...loved having the long zoom for shots taken from the alligator boat. The Spanish Moss hanging from the trees was eerily gorgeous

9. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks. That is what I am leaning toward. There is some kind of music fest there while I am down there. Most of time in meetings, but will make the best use of free time to take some photos.

10. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    You probably won't get much beyond 35mm in the French Quarter. The streets are narrow. The wider angle lenses are going to do most of the work for you. You'd probably get by just fine with the 12-35 if you don't have a ton of time to shoot.

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you have access to a fast 17 - 25 prime I would take it for night shots.

12. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I was in New Orleans for the Super Bowl and wish I had a great, fast zoom like the 12-35. I had my PL 25m on most of the time, and other than that was using the 14-150m (which I have really grown to dislike). Since the trip, I have picked up the 35-100, and am not sure if it would be that useful unless you were trying to get photos of people on balconies, etc.

I'd go for the 12-35 and a fast prime for night.

Here is my gallery from my visit (warning... lots of non-New Orleans football and Baltimore Ravens shots).
    Super Bowl XLVII - a set on Flickr

13. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    New Orleans typically issues over 400 festival permits per year. So yeah, there will be some kind of festival.

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whichever way you go Doc, I think you will end up using your wider, faster lenses. Things can get really close in the French Quarter and there is more to see at night than in the daytime. Regardless, you will have a great time there!

15. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    That is good as I will probably have most free time in the evening or at night.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The 12-35 and a fast prime, for sure.
    Stay off Bourbon, unless drunk college-age guys are your thing. :) I like the area on the NE side of the quarter, around Frenchman and Decatur. Good music clubs over there, just hang out in the street until you hear something you like, then go in.

17. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The Fench Quarter could be interesting I guess. The times I've been there, the "scenery" was pretty disgusting (no boobs, just drunks walking around with their pants down or passed out in the street). I go along with the idea of leaving the long lens behind. You can probably do well with:
    Panasonic 7-14
    Panasonic 12-35
    Panasonic 35-100
    And as somebody said, take extra fully charged batteries