Which is the "good" camera?

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
So among my gear I have an O12-40f2.8 that is my "good" lens. When the BBT arrives in a few days I'll have an original E-M1 and a new E-M5-II. I'm thinking I'll semi-permanently attach the "good" lens to the "good" camera and swap the remaining lenses around on the other camera. But which of those two is the "good" camera? If it was an M1-II or M1X the answer would be easy but with these two it's definitely a debate it seems. So, thoughts and opinions?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
That's the thing about M4/3... there isn't necessarily a better camera in terms of image quality. The 20MP sensors offer the advantage of slightly higher resolution, but not much else. It all comes down to use case.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
Yes, I think they are very similar when it comes to specs and absolutes. I think it's more about opinions and intangible variables that might lead one to select one or the other as the "good" camera. I'm looking for those thoughts and opinions. The responses so far are great.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
This really is something only you can decide. Which one do you like to use more; the E-M1.1 or the E-M5.2?? I like the E-M5.2. It is a small camera when I want it small, with a 12-32 or a 20 on it; but it can also be a medium sized camera when I want a grip (the HLD-8 part). Is the E-M1.1 shutter as sweet as the E-M5.2? The Flippy vs Tilty debate is, again, something only you can decide.

Which one do you reach for first? Which one do you have more confidence shooting? Your Lightroom catalog can tell you which one you use the most; which has most of your keepers; and which have you used for most of your favorites. The LR catalog can help you start, but your hands and heart must finish.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I'm still waiting on the M5.2 which supposedly was going to ship today. My current suspicion is the M1 will get the "big" lenses and the M5.2 the rest as I believe the M1 is going to have the best grip for the added weight. I'll just have to play with both once it arrives. There is so much knowledge in this group though that I wanted to ask and get opinions ahead of time.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The lens and camera are just a tools.
Match the lens to the appropriate camera for the shoot. Another shoot may call for a different lens/camera mix.
I have a 12-40/2.8, but sometimes I will replace it with a P-Lumix 12-60 or Olympus 14-42EZ, cuz I want a smaller/LIGHTER kit to carry.
I have put the 12-100/4 on my EM10, because I had the 12-40 on my EM1.

Get a screw on grip for the EM5. I did for my EM10, and it made a BIG difference.
If/when you want compact, just unscrew the grip from the EM5.

Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
My question: Why confine the "good" lens to one camera?

I believe both cameras have the ability to have different lenses attached (ILC), with the same amount of effort.
Therefore swapping lenses between them seems the obvious solution to me.
Or am I missing something? :hmmm:

Real Name
Amol
Em1 has excellent ergonomics and heavier lenses go well with it. The sensor on both is 16mp but they are not same. Em1 definitely has more noise than em5.2. Hard to say but I’ll give edge to em5.2.

Real Name
Paul
Stabilization is a bit better on the M5mkII than the M1mk1, as is the noise reduction. That said, ergonomics- for you- will ultimately be more important. I have both, and for me I would use the M5mkII for the 12-40.

Jan68

Mu-43 Regular
I have both. The EM1 is gripped and the Panasonic 12-60 is permanently on it, the camera I grab if I'm on the way to take photos. Just to bring a camera, wherever I go, it's the M5.2 with the 12-32 mounted. Just added the Fotodiox grip to that rig and love it, still smaller than the M1 but ergonomics improve a lot!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom