Which is a better choice for this video project - GX7 or EM5mkII?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WendyK, Dec 3, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have a question -- not about what to purchase, but what to use. I own an E-M10 and GX7, and my Cyber Monday refurb E-M5mkii just arrived. I will be selling the GX7, now that the advantages of the GX7 are more than covered by the new em5ii and I seem to get along better with Olympus for my style of shooting, so my em10 will be my backup.

However, I need to record a video audition for my son this weekend, while I will still have all 3 cameras. Video is not a priority for me in general, so I have not picked cameras based on video specs. As a matter of fact I know nothing about video specs and codecs, my video experience consists of taking family videos of my son's concerts and performances.

I know the video on the GX7 is noticeably better than the video on the E-M10, so a couple months ago I used the GX7 for another audition video of this type -- it looked good and was well suited to this type of project, which is not a situation where 4K or pro video is needed or expected. They just want to be able to see the musician and his fingers clearly. I know the GX7's video is nowhere near as good as Panasonic's 4K cameras, and that the EM5ii supposedly is Oly's best at video, but I don't know how the two compare. Should the E-M5mkII video quality be comparable to the GX7? Better? I will not have time to do any extensive test comparisons ahead of time, and I'm not certain what the light will be like at this location, but I plan to use the Oly 12-40 PRO lens like I did last time. FYI audio will be captured on a separate Zoom audio recorder, and whichever camera I use will be on a tripod, so IBIS not a real advantage here. Thanks for any advice.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5II is a lot better than what Olympus had previously but I'm not sure how much or even if it is better than Panasonic. The Mk2 just got flat video profile and 24p which might help?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would think the GX7 and E-M5 II would be comparable. As long as you have two cameras, why not use one as a "B" camera and shoot the audition with two cameras?

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    If the GX7 did well for you in the past, I'd use it again, just because your son's audition isn't the time for you to be fussing with new equipment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you will have a tripod, I would go GX7 at 1080p without hesitation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Why such a strong preference?

8. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I only have one tripod, and my little tabletop tripod will have the Zoom on it, but if I can find a surface at the right height and if one of my other lenses is wide enough, I might.

True, but well...I never actually learned the GX7 very well. We never really got along. I'm much more familiar with the Olympus interface. Still, I will probably do that, since it worked well last time.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) She knows what to expect
    2) The E-M5 II is getting close, but still not at Panasonic level.
    3) IBIS is irrelevant on a tripod, so the E-M5 II has no advantages at all.

10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Could you explain what "flat video profile" means or give me a link to read more about the new options? thanks.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Perhaps, but not when comparing the GX7 and E-M5 II.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Think of flat video profile is similar to shooting RAW. You will color grade your video. 24p is often use for cinematic video. What video editor will you be using?

13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Ah, thanks. Unfortunately, we aren't supposed to edit these videos at all - no titles or anything. They don't want you to splice in your best takes of various parts of the concerto, they want to hear one continuous take of the whole piece, so they take a hard line about editing.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    When you are syncing the settings between the two cameras remember to sync the WB. Both cameras have 30 minute time recording time limits so you will have to stop/start the cameras briefly. With two cameras you can have a fluid video without a break. I know true videographers will scream at this suggestion, but if it will just be you doing the video consider using CAF on your B camera and keeping an eye on things with that camera via an iPad/tablet.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

Oh, then two cameras would not work for this event. Sounds like fun though.

16. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Fortunately this piece is under 10 min.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    What I would distill from Andrew's comments is he generally is not wild about Olympus video, but IBIS is the killer feature. So if you are using a tripod the GX-7 seems like the logical choice.

from his GX-7 review -

+ Similar sensor to GH4 with high quality 1080p
    + Codec holds up very well despite 24Mbit/s or 28Mbit/s bitrate
    + Surprisingly good high ISO performance in video mode (better than GH3)

18. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    That could be quite important if I show up and the room is not as well lit as I'd hoped. I haven't seen it yet - it was chosen by the accompanist. Our last video was made in a church with great light. Since we are filming on a Sunday morning, however, that church was not an option.

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't think GX7 vs. E-M5II will make a difference, I have been shooting with a friend and a GX8 & E-M5 II in our church. Primes will make a bigger difference. LED lighting would be great if you have it. Pick any camera but the E-M10.