which impractical toy?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Jun 9, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm having one of those significant life moments where I don't know which toy to buy :confused:

At the moment I own a Panasonic GH2 and a Pentax LX, with assorted lenses for both... Unfortunately the LX, as wonderful as it is, doesn't get the use it should and I'm considering selling it on to someone who'll flog it like an LX should be flogged, and buying... a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 :) I've found an Australian stockist who has a few free in the next shipment, so I'd get it early July.

I understand that the Nokton and LX are both 'special' toys that aren't there to be used all the time. Add to that the fact that I already own the Pana 20/f1.7, which by all means is Very Good. But I'm getting bored of the lack of process involved with digital these days, and have got a real kick out of using my manual Pentax K24 and M50 lenses on the GH2, so I think I'd enjoy using something as mechanical and tactile as the uber-fast nifty-twentyfive...

So what would you do? Keep the LX and 20/f1.7 and continue lusting after the Voigt? Or sell the LX and 20/f1.7 and get possibly the sexiest lens currently available for m43?

Logic says the former, but photography isn't really about logic :)

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Parting with such a claasic as the LX?
    You should urge to procrastinate... Wait and see what will come out this year from Pan, Oly, and CosVoigt. Or Samyang.
    Meanwhile, the LX won't loose value, while the Nokton could well, when more native lenses appear.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Or a brand new Samyang's 85mm in K mount, a superb yet cheap lens, with Voigtländer's K adapter while you can still find one, as they are discontinued.

5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Lol have you seen the general going prices for a nice A* 85/f1.4? I haven't seen one for under $1000AUD... A lot would argue that it's the Pentax prime.

Anyway, I currently have the K24/f2.8, M35/f2 and M50/f1.4. The 35mm focal length I love on film but don't like on four thirds, so I'm hapy to let that go. The fast-fifty I'll be keeping either way, it's fantastic on the GH2.

The K24 is one of the best lenses I've used, and I love the length on four thirds, but it's slow and I find in this sense that it often leaves me wanting more... In fact the K24 was the one that started the whole 25/f0.95 lust. The feel and view of the K with the speed of point-nought?!? Ahhh heaven :)

The 20mm... Hmmm. I'm a bit indifferent to the 20/f1.7. It's very very good, but it's just kinda, meh. Clinical... I'm a tactile person and while I love the results from the Panasonic, I don't enjoy the process of getting them.

6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011

I bought the LX because I wanted to try the classic. I think that itch has been scratched :)

Re: prices. At the moment I can purchase the Voigtlander new in Australia for $300USD less than one just sold on the classifieds here... I don't think I'll loose much on one!

7. ducridah750

ducridah750 New to Mu-43

May 15, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, thats cheap ($300 for the Voigtlander). I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could get it for under $500 in the States.

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Lol no, it's $895AUD in Aus.

What I meant was there's one for sale here for $1300USD!

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    By the way, in case you haven't seen it (I know you post there as well) there's an FA* 85/f1.4 for sale at the moment on Pentax Forums - $1500USD :eek:

• Like Like x 1