Which (if any) of the 4/3 lenses are usable on mu 4/3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snaimpally, Feb 24, 2013.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    There are quite a few 4/3 lenses available used. Are there any that are worth getting, e.g., that are good bang for the buck? I have heard autofocus is slow etc. On the other hand, there is some fast glass out there - I saw a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 in 4/3 selling for $179, which looked intriguing.

Any info on adapting 4/3 to mu 4/3 appreciated.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The rokinon is manual focus, so that's a non issue. Opinions seem to vary on how usable the oly 43 glass is, with slow AF (they're lenses designed for PDAF used on CDAF cameras) and relative bulk being the complaints I see most.

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I sold all my 4/3 gear recently. I found that even with the 4/3 to m4/3 adapters the AF was just too slow for me 50 percent of the time and now there are native m4/3 lenses available for all the focal lengths I care about.

A year or more ago I had a reason to hold onto my 4/3 gear, but not anymore. If you care about using AF then just buy native m4/3 glass unless you've got an AMAZING deal on a lens for the 4/3 mount.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The 14-54 MKII is the most useable of the 4/3. You need the expensive adapters to use the electronics though. Panasonic, Olympus and some chinese made, with electronics pass thru, are available. Mostly, 4/3 zoom lenses are optically better than there m4/3 counterparts. There is no 50-200mm, 12-60, or even 14-54 options in m4/3 except 12-35 /35-100, which are expensive. m4/3 primes are really good to exceptional. 4/3 SHG lenses are considered some of the best lenses ever. They are real pricey.

5. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    When I bought my first m4/3 body, E-P2, I got the Oly 75-300 4/3-mount via the Oly 4/3-m4/3 adaptor — but found it very slow on autofocus, "grindy" and optically not as good as I'd hoped. Sold it for the much better native Pana 100-300, which is a gem. However, recently I bought a second-hand Oly 4/3-mount 11-22 f2.8-3.5 [$500 in Oz, mint condition]. Again the focus is loud and the AF is slower than my now-sold P 14 f2.5. However, for me the focal range from wide to "normal" [sorry to use that term, having enraged some for daring to refer to this archaic — supposedly — concept on another forum] is absolutely ideal for my skyscapes and the lens works very well with a B&W CP and a shallow, metal, screw-in third-party lens hood to rotate the CP. This now lives on my GH2, set to 16-9 image aspect for instant use if the sky/sunset/clouds look promising. However, generally I agree that native lenses are the go — with the fast Voigtlander Noktons being the exception; they are really worth it, despite manual operation, if that is a problem. When will Olympus and Panasonic go faster than f1.4 on the P 25? I just sold the Rokinon 85 f1.4 —*fantastic lens for the price but the review of the Oly 75 f1.8 forced the change — and the idea of fast AF with it on my OM-D. I am awaiting delivery of the 75 as we speak. There is much to enjoy in m4/3. Choose wisely and discover the freedom it offers in this exciting format.

6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I sold all of my 43 gear with the exception of my 50-200 2.8-3.5 lens which I'm holding onto until I find an equivalent zoom with the same IQ and speed. The 43 lenses that worked the best were the 9-18 and 70-300 from the group I had but none of them focused quickly enough for my taste

7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably stick with the native lenses.