Which graphic tablet ;;;

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PantelisMor, Dec 14, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello. I use LR, i am very happy. I think to buy a graphic tablet and replacing the mouse. Do you believe its deserve ; will it be useful ;;;
    I can spend about 100-130 euro.

Thx a lot....
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I doubt that you'll get anything outstanding for that price (I'm assuming that you want a general purpose tablet with graphics capability). The most powerful tablet at the moment is possibly the Microsoft Surface 2.

If you're talking about a graphics tablet like a Wacom, then the options aren't all that great, Wacom being the most ubiquitous. I have a very early version of the Wacom and thought that it would be excellent, but it turned out to be fairly useless overall. I think these devices are very specific and work well if you are really into doing major Photoshop work, but for LR, they aren't of any great use.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    In this particular case I'd actually recommend a good high precision mouse and potentially a quality mouse pad, rather than a tablet. I think you'll get more out of it for something like Lightroom, and it'll be useful in normal computer use. If you have your heart set on a tablet though, a Wacom Bamboo should do just fine. There are some cheap Chinese competitors, but I have not had occasion to try them.
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a low cost tablet bought off Amazon a Perrixx, it does its job superbly and it cost about €65 (£55), went for a cheep one to see how I would get on with it and have not seen the need to buy a more expensive one as it still works after a couple of years and I do a lot of work with it. I am not sure if it stopped working I would buy anything any more expensive.
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    When I recently bought a Wacom intuos, I read up on the choices. And people said the Huion tablets are just as good as the Wacom, but much cheaper.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Do you have to suggest anything for example....

Thx a lot for your time..
  7. Milko

Milko Mu-43 Regular

Hi there, 3D Artist here, if you'd like more opinions from pros in the 2d/3d graphics, painters and illustrators sphere head out to cgtalk.com

Here's what I think.
    Wacom is still the king, I have intuos 3 A5, quite old now. I've tried 4 A4 and it's absolutely gorgeous,
    I personally cannot justify the price and replacement since me trusty v3 works fine.

I've used bamboos as well, to be honest, for light photo work, they are just fine and quite affordable.
    Most people where I work use that.

They definitely feel more plastic and less substantial, and are also less sensitive/precise, they don't come with replaceable tips either.
    But are well worth the cash I think. I like the older bamboo more than the latest version, but that's just me, it's hard to find unfortunately.

I've also tried several cheap-o non branded tablets, some of them are on par with bamboo and older Intuos tablets, I think.
    But I can't recommend you anything, because I haven't used them for long enough.

For LR alone, I dunno, but for PS - definitely! Just keep in mind it takes some time to get used to it.
    I'd recommend using tablet alone for everything for a month, customise it for the different applications the way you like it.
    I'm so used to it sometimes I play games with it simple because I can't be bothered to reach for the mouse, haha.

So, bottom line, if I had to purchase a tablet today, there are two options:

1) if you can justify the price - get an Intuos 4 A4/A5 (A5 is plenty for what I do)

2) if not, get either a bamboo or intuos 3 A4/A5 second hand,
    they are quite cheap on ebay for example, and often come with the complete package, spare tips with different feel,
    super precise mouse that only works on the tablet etc
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an old Wacom Graphire 2. Its fairly obsolete by now but I still find it absolutely useful in PS an LR for the following reasons:

* Its more direct than a mouse in translating movements to the screen.
    * Mice are relative coordinate. Tablet/Pen is absolute coordinate.
    * Mice are subject to acceleration which was intended to speed the point across the screen; useful for most applications but not necessarily useful for graphic work.
    * Mice buttons (at least mine) are not pressure sensitive. Tablet/Pen is pressure sensitive.

I'm pretty sure that the newer versions of the Wacoms can only make the experience better.

PS> I'm in no way a professional graphic artist.... So while the lower end Wacom tablets may be perfect fine for me, it might not be for those who expect heavier or more professional use.
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I tried a Wacom tablet and couldnt get on with it. People who do a lot of painting and drawing usually get on well with them as they are used to using pressure sensitivity.

The best precision mice are gaming mice. I use a Logitech g700s which also has a number of customizable buttons which is extremely handy. For Photoshop I also use a Razer Tartarus gaming which has 21 customizable keys.
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've been using tablets for 20 years now. They are much better than mice for precise control. Try signing your name with even the best mouse and you'll see what I mean.

I've got a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch which means that I can use it with a stylus or with my fingertip. I've had it for years and really enjoy it. I have it set up in "Mouse" mode which means that positioning is relative not absolute. Just like a mouse, if I reach the edge of the tablet, I simply pick up the stylus and reposition it and then continue what I was doing.

I've never gotten along with absolute positioning for a number of reasons:

- less precise on smaller tablets
    - on larger tablets, basic actions like dragging something to the trash takes a long sweep of the arm which is more effort than using a mouse

When using Photoshop, I will often zoom in and get all the precision that I need.
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Mice that are advertised for "gaming" tend to have much more precise tracking than everything else. The price ranges from very cheap (~USD 20) to very expensive (USD 200+). I'd look at something in the 30-50 Euro range, possibly one of the basic Logitechs?
  12. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    I could never quite afford the Wacom gear for the limited use I put it to.
    My current graphics tablet is a Genius brand http://www.geniusnet.com/Genius/wSite/ct?xItem=16837&ctNode=174&mp=1 doesn't look like it's available anymore but don't write off Genius as a cheap alternative
    I do like it but it only gets used when I'm looking to do fine detail pressure sensitive work.
  13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    If you do retouching in photoshop, definitely get a drawing tablet, otherwise, maybe not worth it (though some people prefer them to a mouse as they feel it is easier on the body).

I've had good experience with cheaper brands on Amazon, just make sure they are highly rated. The only downside is that it is likely harder to get replacement tips at the point you need those, but then again, with the money you save up front, you may be better off buying a new tablet every year or two..
  14. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Thanks for that. I was just looking in eBay and saw the Huion tablets at about 50% cheaper than the cheapest Wacom I could find.

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Tablets do have advantages for strokes and motion. Precision is just as good with a mouse. I like the tablet pressure sensitivity for subtle shading.

Over the years I've used tablets of all sizes from huge 1m diagonal, down to a Wacom small, that I use now. If your software zooms easily, then you will tend to zoom in on areas naturally, and therefore the small size is perfect for most people. Depends on what you do, with what software.

You don't need a Wacom though. There are other good ones that people recommend. I paid extra for Wacom Touch version that doesn't even work properly and they don't want to help. We don't need arrogant companies to dominate the market and then get lazy.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  16. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    From my limited experience bigger isn't better. Get a medium sized one at the largest.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I purchased the Wacom Pen and Touch Medium from Amazon as a refurb. My daughter uses it for her digital art and I can use it in Photoshop and Lightroom.
    Wacom has a FAQ on their website that explains the way to determine the bets tablet size for you. most people probably won't need anything more than a medium.

When I use it in Lightroom, it is generally for when I want to use the adjustment or clone/heal tools. Works well in the plugins(Nik, onOne, Topaz).
  18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    For LR only, stick with a mouse. I just bought a Wacom Pen and Touch small (21cm x 17.8cm - less than $100 USD) for my new portable computer and it is very nice. Graphics tablets are valuable for CAD, illustration work, and heavy editing in Photoshop, they do come with a learning curve. I'm not sure what one cost in Europe, but a graphics table with even a few glitches ruins the whole experience. I use gaming mice at both home and work as well as keep a tablet around - it is really amazing what one can learn to do with a mouse and good eye-hand coordination.
  19. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I've been using an Intuos 3 with Photoshop since 2002. It does everything I want, so I haven't paid attention to whether newer tablets are better. I can use the mouse as easily for most things, but I do some compositing and background removal, and the tablet is much easier for using the PS pen tool and much better for painting hair. I'm interested in trying a Surface Pro 4 when it's released, but I don't know much about it.
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I can't see why they would be useful for CAD and illustration work. Where you are mostly working with objects.
    The tablet has the benefit, over a mouse, of enabling you to enter smooth strokes as well as pressure sensitive control.
    For illustrations, aside from the simple objects like rectangles or text, it is easier to get a good shaped curve by drawing a curve then adjusting the shape to suit with the nodes and Bezier handles. The only illustrator I found that used a tablet, used it for calligraphy work only. The rest of the time using a mouse.
    And I stopped using a tablet for CAD when it moved from mainframes to PCs. And mice were available. Again, for smooth curves and surfaces, editing, rather than drawing the shapes let's you get really accurate and smooth objects. Where small, precise movements of the cursor are important. Which is where the mouse is better.

For retouching with Gimp I also use the Wacom Intuos Small. Mainly to use the pressure sensitivity for masking. To fade out the mask gently.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015