1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which gorillapod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by salinaale, Jun 27, 2015.

1. salinaale

salinaale Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Hi,
    i'm very interested in a very light tripod for my holidays abroad ... for all other situations i use the Manfrotto Befree.
    So...i set my eyes on Gorillapod.
    Which model do you think is better for a omd em5II with 12-40 or 40-150/4-5.6?
    Any experience with this? Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ale

2. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I initially bought the SLR Zoom but upgrade to the biggest "Focus" gorilla pod. Although it is more expensive the Focus (metal) gorilla pod is a lot more stable. I was using the SLR Zoom with my E-M1 and 12-40mm and found it a little lacking although theoretically it is supposed to be able to support the weight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd say SLR Zoom is okay for most primes and lighter zooms, but might sag for the larger bodies and heavy pro zooms. As with all support gear, it pays to get something with a bit of a margin in terms of supported weight - otherwise sure, it will technically hold it up, but will probably be wobbly or sag when unbalanced. If all you're doing is resting it in a flat, balanced way it will be fine though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Go to their website and check out their recommendations based on weight.
    http://joby.com/gorillapod
    I got the Focus which can handle more than double the weight of my heaviest camera /lens combo. I guess I'm a little paranoid. :hide:

• Like Like x 1
  5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have a pedco ultrapod II. Only 4oz. and 1/3 the cost of a comparable gorilla pod. Sorry, I just can't trust anything with legs like a gorilla pod. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  7. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I did. Looks like a nice sturdy little tripod. A bit on the heavy side for a backpack though. I'm a gram weenie.

8. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The UltraPod II is the best sturdy/light option, though it needs more of a flat surface than a Gorillapod. Many times I've put my FX Nikons on an Ultrapod II with a small/medium lens.

I also have the GorillaPod Hybrid, it's definitely too small for the m4/3 kit mentioned by the OP, but it's perfect for a GM1, P20, P12-32, and O45.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Fortunate timing. DPReview just published a comparison of mini tabletop tripods. Doesn't include all discussed here, but is highly recommended if you're interested in the Gorillapod Focus. It is very illuminating. It kinda reinforces what I already thought about the Gorillapod concept.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0715999303/beyond-the-table-top-5-mini-tripods-reviewed

BTW, here's another thought. What about the MeFoto Daytrip? It's a little more than I'd want to pay for a tabletop tripod, but I bet it's very sturdy. Probably more so than the Slik Mini-Pro. If you need a serious tabletop tripod, I bet this would be great.
    http://www.mefoto.com/products/daytrip.aspx

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Anybody used the Chinese knockoff Gorillapods? I read mixed reviews of all of them. Would be EM1, EM5 12-40 probably.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Judging from what I read in the DPReview comparison, I don't think I'd recommend trusting your EM1 with a 12-40 on one of those knockoffs. I can't see them performing any better than the Gorillapod Focus, more likely less. Except for wrapping legs around posts or branches, IMHO I think the Slik Mini-Pro or the MeFoto Daytrip would be better choices.

12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I bought a knockoff a while ago, one of the legs snapped off entirely at the plastic joining a leg to the socket mount, fortunately only happened while I was messing with it prior to putting a camera on it. It is not something so simple that it is impossible to mess up.

13. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Gorillapod Focus, may be smallish but @ 2lbs is approaching standard tripod territory

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a knockoff, bought for mounting a flash to weird places. I wouldn't trust it (or any GorillaPod) to hold my E-M1 unless there's a backup safety strap. I have used it with GM1 and primes though, but very carefully.

• Like Like x 1