Which GH3 kit?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Xoomtell, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Xoomtell

Xoomtell New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2012

I´m new in this forum and in the 4/3 world, but I have been reading a lot about it since GH2 hacks began to show up. right now I use my good old Nikon D300 for stills, and my Panasonic HMC-151 for video. But I must admit I seriously consider buying a GH3. I like the idea of having a nice still & video camera in one unit. AND it could make it out for a nice alternative for both stills and video, with nice DOF for more filmlike scenes etc.

I guess I will be taking it with me all the time - just in case....and I need some advice about what to buy besides from the GH3 body...I want lenses for both quick run and gun jobs and for the more filmlike look..

I have thought about buying the GH3 kit with the 12-35mm

Maybe that would do it for a start?

I have considered go crazy and buy the 35-100mm and the 100-300mm as well as the kit 12-35mm and then flash, batterygrip and everything, but I guess that might be too much for my budget right now - considering the christmas coming up and all...;-) would be nice though - being able to cover from 12-300mm...

I have also considered maybe buying the 14-140mm kit instead - but I don´t know if it would be a bad idea? I have an idea of the 14-140mm being the perfect run&gun lens, but at the same time I am afraid it performs too bad in low light?

I guess at least a couple of my old Nikon lenses might be OK to use as well...all DX, but what adapter wuold be the best to choose?

Any suggestions or advice will be highly appreciated...

Thx in advance!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel

from your post I see that you only consider zoom lenses.
    If you do not mind changing lenses there are also some high quality primes.
    Most notable are the O12, P25, P45/O45, O60 and O75.

All of these are faster then the P12-35 with a little bit of a better image quality.
  3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    And I think you want to avoid the 12-35mm for video use as it suffers from variable apertures when zooming (correct me if I'm wrong). The 35-100mm is fine though.
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Please note: I do not shoot video currently, so I'm just relaying what I've read and seen on this forum and around the web when it comes to the video side. Having said that:

I would also add the Voigtlander lenses (17.5mm and 25mm f/0.95) to that list. Possibly also the SLR Magic lenses as well. A lot of video folks who are fine with manual focus love the Voigtlanders for the manual aperture control, smooth manual focus, fast maximum aperture, and incredible sharpness/rendering. I use the CV 25mm for stills and when I don't need autofocus, it's an absolutely phenomenal lens.

This has been reported on the forum to be the case though I haven't tried it with my copy. Reportedly the aperture changes in "steps" between focal ranges which isn't noticeable in stills but for video it can show up as variance in exposure during zooming. Certainly something to be aware of if you're interested the 12-35mm for video.

Also from a stills standpoint, I can tell you the 14-140mm covers a great focal range but it's a slow lens and definitely not suitable for low light in my experience. Outdoor/daylight situations it can do phenomenally though, an I was able to shoot almost an entire Alaska trip with just that lens and the 100-300mm for wildlife. If you're talking about working indoors etc. then I think f/4.0-5.8 is going to be too slow for your needs. That said, there's always the option of pairing the 14-140mm with a fast lens like one of the Voigtlanders for indoor use, depending on how important zoom is versus low light capability.