Which Genre of Photography Do You Most Closely Associate Yourself To?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jambaj0e, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm curious, since as a fashion/commercial photographer, there doesn't seem to be a lot of us in this forum, or maybe in Micro 4/3 in general. So I'm wondering, which genre of photography do you most closely associate yourself to?

(I'm betting that street and/or landscape will be the most popular, lol)
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    not listed and should be "travel" which for describes that middle-ground in between landscapes & street.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    I'd list myself in the street and photojourn/docu equally but te votin only allows 1 genre each

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I take photos for the sheer joy of it and shoot all sorts of things: landscape, travel, portrait, street, sports, music - it all depends upon where I am and what's happening around me. :biggrin:
  5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I think, looking at that list, most of us would not just have a single answer. For example, my favorite genres are macro and wildlife. I don't think I could chose a favorite single area.
  6. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I shoot mostly people, and voted "children" because this often includes my kid. I try to approach it as photojournalism, documenting his life through images, rather than portraiture.

My day job is corporate communications, and I get to do a lot of photojournalism of people at work, events, ceremonies, etc.
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    + 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Let me think about that ... lol
  9. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    +1 on that... ditto Architecture, which is to me a similar impulse to Landscapes.

Still, it will be interesting to see how people categorize themselves.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Like you Joe, I am a Commercial and Fashion photographer. Thankfully, both are kinda broad categories, so they mostly encompass all of what I do. :) I am also a portrait photographer as my primary b2c business (naturally, since I run a portrait studio). Most everything else I do is b2b, and the b2b is what really keeps my studio afloat. Product, food, pets, children, sports, macro, music, etc. all fall under those broader categories. I do all of those under the realms of commercial, fashion, and portrait photography. Wildlife is what I like to do for me.
  11. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Timelapse photography. :)
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Which Genre of Photography Do You Most Closely Associate Yourself To?

Is Bad a genre? No, I suppose not, but it certainly cuts across all genres that I delve in to...

An honest description of what I do is "try to take really good snapshots". I could spin that and say I am a "family photojournalist" or that I shoot "environmental portraits", but pretty much I take somewhat random and casual shots of family and friends, and my child playing sports as a sub-genre of that.

I suppose I am a gear-head with some disposable income who likes taking pics of his kid (mostly).
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I'd vote for this category, too. :biggrin:
  14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not bad but incompetent? Also not a genre but accurate to my style. I do feel bad about it ...
  15. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not experienced enough to categorize myself yet.I really like all of it except maybe pro model/fashion stuff.Don't get me wrong,I love looking at it and admire the hell out of those that do it.I' m really drawn more to the slice of life,street stuff.The clean beauty of black and white, and the quick capture of a moment in time excites me more than the other categories.
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Other for me. I'm primarily a Bar/Bat Mitzvah photographer, though I shoot weddings and portraits professionally as well. But for this I shoot Nikon. :redface:

For my m4/3 it's a bit of everything.
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Travel, landscape/nature and candid portraiture. Mostly folks I know, because while I like the idea of street, I often feel uncomfortable shooting strangers. The stuff I print tends to be stitched panoramas and wildlife.
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  19. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I would have to say this year it's product, but next week who knows, I'm like a leaf in the wind.
  20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Nature, Hiking, city scapes, sunsets and lost of travel.

I don't do street.