1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Genre of Photography Do You Most Closely Associate Yourself To?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jambaj0e, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm curious, since as a fashion/commercial photographer, there doesn't seem to be a lot of us in this forum, or maybe in Micro 4/3 in general. So I'm wondering, which genre of photography do you most closely associate yourself to?

(I'm betting that street and/or landscape will be the most popular, lol)

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    not listed and should be "travel" which for describes that middle-ground in between landscapes & street.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I'd list myself in the street and photojourn/docu equally but te votin only allows 1 genre each

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I take photos for the sheer joy of it and shoot all sorts of things: landscape, travel, portrait, street, sports, music - it all depends upon where I am and what's happening around me. :biggrin:

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I think, looking at that list, most of us would not just have a single answer. For example, my favorite genres are macro and wildlife. I don't think I could chose a favorite single area.

6. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I shoot mostly people, and voted "children" because this often includes my kid. I try to approach it as photojournalism, documenting his life through images, rather than portraiture.

My day job is corporate communications, and I get to do a lot of photojournalism of people at work, events, ceremonies, etc.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Let me think about that ... lol

9. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    +1 on that... ditto Architecture, which is to me a similar impulse to Landscapes.

Still, it will be interesting to see how people categorize themselves.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Like you Joe, I am a Commercial and Fashion photographer. Thankfully, both are kinda broad categories, so they mostly encompass all of what I do. :) I am also a portrait photographer as my primary b2c business (naturally, since I run a portrait studio). Most everything else I do is b2b, and the b2b is what really keeps my studio afloat. Product, food, pets, children, sports, macro, music, etc. all fall under those broader categories. I do all of those under the realms of commercial, fashion, and portrait photography. Wildlife is what I like to do for me.

11. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Timelapse photography. :)

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Which Genre of Photography Do You Most Closely Associate Yourself To?

Is Bad a genre? No, I suppose not, but it certainly cuts across all genres that I delve in to...

An honest description of what I do is "try to take really good snapshots". I could spin that and say I am a "family photojournalist" or that I shoot "environmental portraits", but pretty much I take somewhat random and casual shots of family and friends, and my child playing sports as a sub-genre of that.

I suppose I am a gear-head with some disposable income who likes taking pics of his kid (mostly).

• Like Like x 5
  13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I'd vote for this category, too. :biggrin:

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not bad but incompetent? Also not a genre but accurate to my style. I do feel bad about it ...

15. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not experienced enough to categorize myself yet.I really like all of it except maybe pro model/fashion stuff.Don't get me wrong,I love looking at it and admire the hell out of those that do it.I' m really drawn more to the slice of life,street stuff.The clean beauty of black and white, and the quick capture of a moment in time excites me more than the other categories.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Other for me. I'm primarily a Bar/Bat Mitzvah photographer, though I shoot weddings and portraits professionally as well. But for this I shoot Nikon. :redface:

For my m4/3 it's a bit of everything.

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Travel, landscape/nature and candid portraiture. Mostly folks I know, because while I like the idea of street, I often feel uncomfortable shooting strangers. The stuff I print tends to be stitched panoramas and wildlife.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    PJ & Street.

19. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I would have to say this year it's product, but next week who knows, I'm like a leaf in the wind.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Nature, Hiking, city scapes, sunsets and lost of travel.

I don't do street.