Which format? 3:2? 4:3?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Transalp01, May 10, 2014.

1. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    Which format is best as default setting?

I have a E-M10 and I have 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, 4:3 and 3:4 to choise?

I'm using raw so I guess it doesn't matter and I should then use 4:3 since this is what the raw file use.

Or? What do you use? And if I use jpg should I change to something else than 4:3?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    4:3. All the rest are crops from that. You can always crop later to suit the subject.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I used 3:2 for ages as a source format when I wasn't using medium format.

I like looking at the scene in 4:3 more... I've certainly cropped a lot of 3:2 to 4:3 over the years because I like the dimensions.

I can use the same frames and mount boards my wife uses for her paintings - painting and drawing media are usually sold in 4:3 formats and so are the frames that tend to hold them.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I like the slightly wider look of 3:2. I actually like 16:9 the best but it's not always practical and looks ridiculous in portrait orientation. 4:3 is too boxy and square for me — I'd actually prefer 1:1 if only for the novelty.

I shoot in 3:2 on vacations (~50% of my shooting) because my wife will pick out photos and send them off to a printing service for her scrapbook before I get a chance to PP. Since they print 4"x6" (i.e. 3:2), any other ratio means automatic (bad) cropping or stretching is applied.
  5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I spend a life time shooting medium format film, so 4 :3 comes natural to me. And my favourite print size happens to be 40x30 cm...
  6. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I use 4:3 and crop the image in post-processing, but the aspect setting is not very important if you shoot RAW. If you shoot RAW on an E-M10, the whole 4:3 image will be saved no matter what the aspect setting, so you can change your mind when you process the RAW file. So, for example, if you know you'll want to make cheap 3:2 prints, you could set the 3:2 aspect to help you frame your shots, and then edit the crop on the RAW file later if you want to change it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    I always shoot with native format, which is 4:3 in m43. I then crop in PP depend on what device output or prints. e.g, today's TV is 16:9. Monitor is either 16x9 or 16x10... or iPad's or Android format...
  8. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    Thank you for your answers!

I continue to use 4:3 and raw! And now I know why I should do it! :)
  9. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've always like the 1:1 Aspect ratio. And I have always felt that the 4/3s AR made for the most efficient square crop! Actually, I lke 4/3s as my alternative AR!
  10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    4/3 I prefer it to 3/2 on the whole, though sometimes want different dimensions and consider getting a cheep sony Nex for those times, no real digital 10/8 format though and that was one I liked for head shots. With a past shooting everything from 110 to 10x8 I just roll with the cameras format.
  11. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    I shoot 4:3 and normally crop to 5:4, although I did use to use the extended 16:9 a lot on the GH2 for 'mini-panos'.