1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

C&C Which flower composition do you prefer

Discussion in 'Comments and Critique' started by zzffnn, Apr 24, 2019.

1. zzffnn

zzffnn Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2017
    Texas
    Please kindly let me know which flower composition do you prefer (A, B or C):

Photo A
    P4240014 ps.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo B
    P4240043 ps.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Imaginary photo C
    Orient the composition similar to photo A (closer to diagonal instead of horizontal), but include more of the flower bottom at 9 o'clock position of photo B.

I just wonder if there is a clear consensus. I prefer one of them out of A and B, while my 8 yo son (who is not a photographer but an award-winning painter trained in art school) prefer the other.

Those photos were taken with Raynox DCR-150 macro converter on O40-150 kit zoom, at f/22, single frame with flash.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I prefer A, but it could be because of the water droplets instead of the composition

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I think the composition of B is better. If creates movement across the frame. I do agree with Mountain about the water droplets, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zzffnn

zzffnn Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2017
    Texas
    That is the exact reason why I personally prefer B. Or C rather.

Water droplet was out of my control :-( the water drops probably evaporated away quickly, while I was taking photos of the flower. (Speedlite) Light direction was also different, so A probably accentuated the water droplets more.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2018
    A has the better leading line and more interesting light in my book.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

B for the composition. IMO. :) 

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    A for me. It is sharper, the droplets give it a more 3d effect ; and the composition is more pleasing to me as it conforms more to a spiral and sits better on a third.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brownie

Brownie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    A, for the reasons stated by travelbug. Neither one bugs me, but when compare side-by-side A is easier to look at.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.