1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which flash? Lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Betinski, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    I have an OM-D and the Panasonic 12-35mm.. I've
    been asked to take photos at a book gathering and reading. This will take place in the evening and I've posted the venue below. I have not yet bought a flash. Do you think I would need one...and if so which flash should I buy for this event and for other indoor shooting. Also... while the 12-35 is fast... should I should I invest in the Oly 17 1.8. The event is 2/13. Any flash tips/gizmos needed? Thanks so much for any help!

Attached Files:

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Can you try taking a photo with the evening lights.
    Check if with the P12-35 and high ISO you get good results. If you do not get good results then you should invest in flash.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I try to avoid flash during events as it can be distracting. You already have one of if not the best m4/3 body for high ISO performance. Add an f1.8 or faster lens and you should be good. If you need a little more stability try a monopod. I would say that you need a widish lens unless you want close-ups of the people attending.

I have the 20mm f1.7 and the 45mm f1.8 and both do well in low light. I find the 20mm is slower with AF but will lock on. It is also a little noisy, I only really notice it if the surroundings are very quiet. If I were you I would experiment with the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8. You can boost the ISO up to compensate. I find a zoom far more usable for events.

If you do end up using a flash point it up. There is a low white ceiling to bounce off.

4. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    The bookstore is in another state and I'll be arriving that day...so no practice time. Also thinking about buying the Leica 25 1.4 lens. Maybe I won't need a flash? But is there a best recommended flash that works well with the OM-D?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you Speedandstyle.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally stick with flashes for the same brand as the body. Aftermarket flashes often lack features or they don't always work with all models. Also some of the aftermarket brands are poorly made. With that said I am looking to get the Olympus FL600. It is not too expensive and has good reviews and works well with Olympus bodies.

You can do some testing in low light where you are. From the pictures it appears that the lights are fluorecent panels. I shoot events under these types of lights all the time and rarely need flash. If you do mix a flash with the fluorecents make sure to set your white balance. I set mine custom using A white balance cap.

7. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Whith digital and instantaneous review, every shot you take is a potential practice shot, and I think every modern shoot should be mentally comfortable with that kind of impromptu adjustment with little preparation. For a given position and perspective, you should be able to zero in on the right exposure and composition within 2 or 3 shots. Once dialed in, that becomes a "setting" for that camera position, which you should memorize and revert back to if you ever walk back to that position. The main thing you need to be prepared for ahead of time is the range of possible exposures, FOV and DOV. When you think about it this way, its pretty easy to get the ballpark of equipment right before just by thinking about it.

You're going to want an ultra wide, 12mm or wider. You're going to want a 17mm or 25mm for the tighter shots. With just a 12/2 and 25/1.4 you can be completely covered, I feel.. Other FOVs are just gravy: 45/1.8, etc.

If its daylight and the window has to be in the frame, you will definitely want a flash. I think the FL600R will probably do the trick, but if the room is really big and the ceiling is high you may want a bigger gun or to setup two strobes to mimic a wider lighting source. The trick to getting a nice exposure with outside-window-backlight is to walk over to the window (or switch to spot metering and aim at the outside), put your ambient exposure for the outside somewhere between 0 and +1 (I personally think +1ish looks more natural), then go back and make the flash expose to 0 for the interior shot. It will look like the outside is lighting up the inside, even though all of your inside is created by flash. Use diffusion/bounce for sure.

8. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks all for your replies!