1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which filter companies do you trust?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by majordude, Jan 5, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I want some ND, protection and circular polarizer filters. Which brands do you trust? (FYI, I have an OM-D so I "kinda" trust Olympus but I really don't know if Hoya, B+H, Tiffen or another brand is "better".)

And when you buy filters, do you buy a large one and step it down to fit all of your lenses or buy a specific size to fit a specific lens?

2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Marumi has worked well.

These are not exactly inexpensive but, they are very good filters. There are also some nice deals on Agfa filters if you are needing to spend a little less and still get good filters at Amazon.com.

Dan

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It depends. All of my screw on filters are B+W and I trust the quality there. My graduated filters are all Lee and I also trust their quality.

4. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Check out the reviews...

The reviews I have read rate Marumi as equal or better than B+W and the Marumis are less expensive.
    Dan

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nobody says you have to buy new either. I have purchased several used filters from B&H and KEH. Both of these shops rate their used stuff so you know what quality they are. You might find good ones on ebay too but sometimes the people selling don't do a good job of describing the condition.

As for brands, I have used B+H, Tiffen and Lee and found them all very good. Basically just avoid the no-name Chinese stuff. Some may be fine but others are pure crap.

6. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    B+W, Leica (rare), Hoya, Heliopan for round; Cokin, Lee for rectangle. I've heard much good and no bad about Marumi, but have never had one.

Note that manufacturers of lesser filters like Tiffen sell more than one grade of filter; buy by grade, not by make.

I buy large filters and step them down. More than one step-down with a wide angle lens can cause vignetting. I also prefer thin ring filters.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2, but I would say just about all filter manufacturers do this. You MUST buy multi-coated filters.

Note that you don't need circular polarizers for m43. Linear are a bit more effective, and cheaper, however, much more difficult to find since SLRs require circular for the AF to work.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    You could add Hitech and Sing Ray to the list. Be wary of Cokin, they are good value but their ND grads aren't neutral! (unless things have changed since I last used them).

Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Hitech Filters | Camera Filter | Lense Filters

Note: Hitech now do 67mm grads (Cokin A compatible) which may be more appropriate to the smaller :43: lenses than the more usual 85mm, 100mm or 150mm filters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    B + W and Hoya FTW!

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I really like the multicoated Sigma DG filters. They can be found for the same price as single coating BW, and never exhibit the ghosting and flaring that I get the from cheaper BW. The glass is very thin on these filters (fragile?), but I see that as a good thing

11. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Really? Why is that? That's good to know!

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 on Sigma filters

13. SteveJB

SteveJB Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012
    Baltimore
    Steve
    Aside from quality of glass, the quality of metal is important as well. I've used Hoya, Marumi, and B+W and of the three, B+W are the only ones with brass with a brass filter ring - meaning that they are the only ones that I feel comfortable taking on and off regularly (important if you use a Polarizer) that won't easily cross-thread. Most of the Hoyas and the Marumis I've used are made with aluminum or some other cheap metal ring/threads and don't screw on and off as easily. Grade may have something to do with this as well.

As for UV filters, I think any of the ones mentioned in this thread are fine, glass-wise, as long as one uses a multi-coated version. For Polarizers, I've had the best luck with B+W Kaseman variety, which give great color and are nicely built as well. I found mine used at a reasonable price.

That last point I would add is about cleaning- higher end filters are much easier to clean with a soft cloth, whereby with cheaper filters like the lower end Hoyas and Marumis I've used, the cloth tends to stick to the glass a bit, and it's harder to remove smudges.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The "circular" part puts the image back in phase for the PDAF to work.

Since our cameras use CDAF, they aren't affected by this (if anything, the higher contrast with the polarizer on helps the AF)

15. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I have Hoya and B+W filters for UV/clear, ND, and PL filters. Of the two, B+W MRC filters are the easiest to clean and I would feel the safest buying these used. The B+W filters also appear to be less reflective as well.

Out of curiosity, I've also bought Zeikos and Sunpak UV filters because they were cheap. Both flare easily and are essentially useless unless you have no other choice.

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have Heliopan, B+W, and Hoya. B+W is my go to. Heliopan is a bit overpriced imo.

Note: even among the the same brand, there are levels of quality/grade. Some low grade filters of these well known brands may not be any better than the cheaper manufacturers. I always buy the best grade.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hoya is the minimum standard I would find acceptable, as well as the Kenko Pro-1 line which happens to be identical to the Hoya Pro-1. However, I prefer B+W any day of the week, as well as Heliopan. Tiffen I do not like.

Yes. In particular with polarizers, which are rather expensive and are not necessary to have for each lens. When you pay hundreds of dollars for a polarizer, it only makes sense to spend only $15 per lens to adapt them. :) With ND this is also a good idea. You did mention that you will be using clear filters as well, in which case stepping up is rather senseless if you keep the filter on the lens. Although very often when I purchase a lens which has an uncommon filter size, I will permanently attach a step-up ring to the next common size for easier access of filters, hoods, and lens caps.

18. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Pretty much all Hoya HMC filters for me.

19. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I now only use Hoya HD, though have used B+W. I trust both.