Which fast, single prime kit?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Not something I'm seriously considering but more just an interesting topic for discussion :smile:

If you were a single prime kinda guy or girl (which I seem to be rapidly becoming) and you preferred speed and IQ over frivolities like AF and an auto-aperture, which would you buy:

- Ricoh GXR + A12 M-mount module + CV 35/f1.2
    - NEX + M-mount adapter + CV 35/f1.2
    - MFT + CV Nokton 25/f0.95
    - MFT + CV Nokton 17.5/f0.95
    - Leica M9 + something expensive

For the sake of discussion, perhaps we could avoid discussing the rest of each respective system. After all, we're single prime people here so it doesn't matter how many other lenses there are :wink:
  2. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

If by IQ you mean sharpness, then I'd go with MFT + the Pen F/FT F.Zuiko 38mm f1.8.

If by IQ you mean character, then I'd go with MFT + FED 50mm f2.

So many choices . . .
  3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    What about 'none of the above' ?

If I was restricted to a single prime then I'd want something like a Nikon D800 and an 50mm f1.4G That way with all those pixels I could crop the hell out of it and still get good results.
  4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
  5. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I haven't used the Nokton lenses, so can't say much about them. I'd choose MFT+20mm (or may be 14mm). Outside of the above choices, I'd easily pick the X100 over everything else.
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

Frivolities like money being no obstacle ...then without batting an eyelid it's the Leica M9 + noctilux (35mm or 50mm.....no point being too fussy)

That combo in the right hands produces magic !
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    There's a 35mm Noctilux?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Either a M9 with a Noctilux (although I prefer the look of the Summilux, but 1.4 isn't fast :) or a NEX7 (or Xpro1) with a M adaptor and CV35mm f1.2 v2.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    For the sake of reality, size , speed and affordability I will stick with my GX1+25mm f1.4 Summilux lens.

Great combination that produces great quality images.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I must admit to being a luddite who wouldn't spend more money on a lens and lose autofocus and electronic aperture control.
  11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    M9 + Noct 50/0.95
    XPro1 + 35/1.4 or CV 35/1.2
    GX1 + VF + 20/1.7
    Mythical GL1 with built in VF like the Fuji or NEX + 17/0.95
  12. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Within your criteria, I'd pick some FF body and the widest prime possible that still has great IQ (14 or 12 if I could find one).

Because portability is so important to me, I haven't spent time researching big/expensive/super HQ glass and bodies, so I'm not sure about brand. I know I like the character of my 7-14 and PL45, so I'd probably start my search with Leica, but I'm sure if I were dropping >10K on a single-lens rig I'd consider Zeiss or even medium format.
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

If I were thinking of going the Pen F/FT route I'd get the MFT+Olympus 45/1.8 instead. That gives you short telephoto, as sharp or sharper, better bokeh and AF. I have had both the Pen F/FT 38/1.8 and 40/1.4 and I think the 45/1.8 is a better lens
    • Like Like x 1
  14. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    How about a GX2 w/ CV 25/0.95?

The Leica 50 noctilux is way too damn shallow wide open..
  15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just read it again and see you were looking for speed. Probably M9 and whatever hideously expensive uber fast M lens there was out there. Practically speaking (meaning I couldn't afford the M9) I'd likely go with MFT+PL25/1.4
  16. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If it's just the above choices. I would get the NEX 7 and a 35 1.2.

It's the biggest sensor in the smallest package with viewfinder.

If the price was no object. I would get a hasselblad v series and a phase one back. Prob a wide angle like a 40.

If I was stupidly rich and had a few million to spend. I would make a limited run of digital rolleiflex TLRs.
  17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    For me, I wouldn't want to limit myself to only a single manual focus lens setup. I think there are some good AF options out there now. Also, does the lens need to be useable wide open, or really just about getting a look (i.e. pixie dust)?

If I did have to go down to a single lens and camera, and I was mostly concerned with size, it would be an E-P3 with the 20/1.7. If I was willing to trade off some size advantage for a bit more DR/high ISO performance, but still wanted something relatively compact, I am liking my Pentax K-01 w/ Limited 31mm/f1.8 lens.
  18. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

+1 here. A pointless exercise.
    • Like Like x 2