1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which E-PL6 kit?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by GnedTheGnome, Mar 6, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I currently have a Canon xsi and a handful of inexpensive lenses. I find, however, that I don't enjoy shooting with it very much, and I rarely have it with me, because it is so freaking big and heavy (not to mention ugly :cautious: ). And if I ever get in the position for a better camera, it will just get bigger and heavier. So, I'm seriously considering a switch to m43.

If price were not an issue, I would probably get the Pany GX7 or the OMD-EM5, the Oly 9-18, the Pany 14-140 3.5 (as my convenience/walkaround lens) plus a few primes.

Unfortunately, however, I am a starving student, so I am looking at the E-PL6 kits available as imports. For about $450 I can either get the two-lens kit, with the 14-42 and the 40-150 kit lenses, or I can get it with the single pancake lens. (I should probably mention that I also have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and a Takumar 35mm f2 that I definitely plan to adapt, plus a few other Canon FD and EOS lenses I could adapt for the time being.)

The two-lens kit would give me a lot more flexibility with native lenses, but ultimately - at least a year from now, possibly more - I would probably end up selling them and getting something else.

If I get the pancake lens, I could see myself keeping it, along with the E-PL6, as a super-compact 2nd kit, even after I upgrade to my dream set-up. And, when I think about it, the 40-150 runs as little as $50 second-hand, so I could probably pick that up in a couple months.

I'm leaning toward option 2, but I would like to get feedback on the relative performance, particularly in terms of image quality, between the two.

Also, I'm aware that I am rolling the dice in terms of waranty with an import, but is there anything else I need to know? For instance, would I be stuck with menus that are only available in Japanese, or having to invest in a different battery charger?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What country are you shopping from?

Keep in mind there is roughly zero difference between E-PL6 and E-PL5. So make sure to compare E-PL5 prices.

3. GnedTheGnome

Ah, yes. I imagine country would be helpful. I'm in the US.

And thanks for the heads-up about the PL5. From what I've seen, they're running within about $20 of each other. For that, I'd like to have the Wi-Fi and the stop-motion capabilities, although I doubt if I will get a ton of use out of either. Unless wi-fi enables me to use my phone as a remote trigger, in which case I'll probably use it more.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    What's you budget and time frame? Are you looking to start fast with cheap stuff and replace them when you can? Or start slow and buy things you may not need to replace at all?

5. GnedTheGnome

Budget is as little as possible. <$500

Time frame? Well, that's the delima. I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with my current set-up, so I would really like to get started right away, but my budget is unlikely to change until after I graduate next year. Like I say, the body and pancake lens would probably remain useful to me, even after I upgrade, but I don't want to sacrifice IQ. I would rather replace the lens down the road if the 14-42EZ is going to give me significantly poorer performance than the regular kit lens. Of course, I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Of course, the most sensible thing would probably be to suck it up and stick with what I've got for now.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Those kits certainly seem nice. I might message the seller and make sure the menus are available in English. The power connectors in Japan are the U.S. standard, so you shouldn't have issue.

IN terms of which kit, I think the 2 lens kit makes more sense from a practical standpoint. However a 14-42 pancake is worth a bit more on the used market than the two regular kit zooms. So you may get a little more out of it from a value standpoint with the pancake. I think I saw some kits with the pancake+telephoto and those would be the best deal, especially if you resold the pancake zoom.

I don't think you are going to fully appreciate the system unless you can squeeze some small primes in there, though.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The problem I see with the E-PL5/6 is they are the already older and (given the stuff on your flicker page) might be more limiting than the Canon you already have from a control standpoint. If you're going to make the change I would start with a stronger base.

I'm not a fan of the Panasonic cameras, but that's a user preference thing, they're fine cameras. On the m4/3 board right now there is an E-M5 body for $380 and a GX7 + lens for $500. Either of those would probably be a better option. For the E-M5 you could get a 14mm Pancake and be not a lot above your $500. But you'd have a much more creative tool. For either of those I would also add the 9mm fisheye body cap lens. It would fit in well with your B&W stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GnedTheGnome

Hmmm. I'll definitely take a look at those. Out of curiosity, what would I be missing out on besides EVF and better control layout?

9. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Hey Gned, coincidentally my last DSLR was a Canon xsi as well. I bought the Panasonic GF6 initially and that camera blew the xsi out of the water in all respects. Since then I have had an E-M5, E-PM2 and now a Gx7. All are highly capable, but I prefer the Panasonic cameras. Whatever modern MFT camera you choose, I guarantee that you will be happy with the improvement in low light, speed, ease of handling, etc, etc.

A few notes, not all camera LCDs have the same resolution. The E-M5 and E-PM2 have have a noticeably low res and it effects the experience imo. The GF6, GM1-5, Gx7, E-M10, E-M1 have very good LCD's imo. Not sure when in the E-PL series they uprgraded, but look out for it. Also, I have a low opinion of Olympus's kit lens. It is very cheaply made imo and has this telescoping feature that annoys many. The Panasonic kit is much better built and feels better in the hands. Also, think if you want a viewfinder. I find I rarely use mine, even coming from an SLR. May impact your decision.

Good luck.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Besides those two BIG things?

Better image stabilization (the E-M5 is better than the GX7)
    E-M5 is weather sealed
    The GX7 has 1/8000 shutter
    etc

But handling and the EVF would be the ones I would be most concerned about. XSi may be old but even an older DSLR has an EVF and while I haven't used an entry level DSLR in a long time I'd be surprised it the controls / handling weren't better than something like the E-PL5/6. I had an E-PM1 and while it was very capable the menu diving drove me crazy.

To Benzy's point, many do think the Pan kit lenses are better than the Oly kit lenses, certainly they are better constructed. But the Olys aren't bad and they are cheaper to buy so I guess that balances it out.

11. GnedTheGnome

I'm glad to hear about the performance improvements over the xsi. It was a great camera in its day, but I get frustrated with both the bulk and the less than stellar low-light capabilities. I agree with you about the EVF. As a glasses wearer I find I rarely use the view finder. That's is a good point about the screen, though. The E-PL6 has the lessser screen, and with no EVF to fall back on, well ... It's food for thought.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I was sure I didn't need an EVF. I came from the E-PM1 ,GX1 (were I decided I really like Olympus interface over Panasonic), E-P5, E-M1, and finally E-M10. I had the E-P5 and E-M1 at the same time and decided I did like having the EVF even if I didn't use it all the time.

The E-M10 is actually the camera I would recommend but it's still a bit above in $$ than either the GX7 or E-M5 so... Does you budget include the $$ from the sale of the Canon? They aren't selling for much on eBay but you might get $150-$200 for it.

13. GnedTheGnome

Haha. Point taken. I guess what I'm asking is, would I not be able to do things, or would it just be less convenient?

I'm not too concerned about the EVF. I am very, very near-sighted, so view finders are of limited use to me. (They're a pain to use with glasses, and taking off the glasses isn't an option, even with the strongest diopter available.)

Handling is more of a consideration, though. I wish I had an Olympus dealer in my area so I could handle them in person.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I see monocularly through one nearsighted eye (the other is worse so the one took over), I feel your pain.

You would be able to do things but going to less convenient controls can be frustrating. I really liked the E-PM1 and the GX1 had even better image quality. But the E-P5, E-M1, and E-M10 were/is just such a pleasure to use.

And as you've said the screen is important than so would the much improved image stabilization. I've never really used the GX7 other than in a camera store, but the Olympus IBIS is very good, it's in a completely different class than E-PL5/6.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Of course this is based on starting from a solid base to build on. If you're just looking to try it out for a little while and then upgrade the conversation is different. The GX7, E-M5 (or E-M10 if you could swing it) are things to build on instead of buying to replace.

Sorry if this sounds like a parent type of comment, but, well, I do have one graduating from college in May so.... Guilty as charged.

16. GnedTheGnome

Gah! I thought I'd narrowed my choices down. Now I'm second guessing myself. Seriously, though, you've given me some things to think about. Thank you.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sorry. :oops:

The E-PL5/6 is a fine camera, your stuff just seems more advanced than it is and if it's your only camera then...

18. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I'd go for the E-M5 kit. You should be able to find it for not much more than $500 new, on a run-out sale and it offers you the option of getting battery grips etc. Having the option of getting a grip may be important to you? I'd pay $100 more for the 5 axis IBIS alone. The 2 axis IBIS on the E-PL5 isn't all that effective (in my opinion - and comparing it to the IBIS on my E-P5) and it does suffer a little from shutter shock.

Don't rule out the E-PL7. It has the same 3 axis IBIS as the E-M10, and the kit with the 14-42 is going for $549 from Roberts camera's ebay store.

19. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I would VERY HIGHLY recommend staying away from the PL6 at this point. Why? 1) It has some shutter shock issues at certain shutter speeds and focal lengths.* 2) the 2-axis stabilization is better kept off because it blurs photos.* So what to get? The PL7. It solves both of these problems. You can get it for $500 with a 14-42 lens and buy the 40-150 when you come spare cash.

*I say these coming from a PM2, which, correct me if I'm wrong, I think are the same in this regard.