Which E-P3 kit ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by raphpict, Nov 29, 2011.

1. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi all !
    What a great forum i found !
    I plan to buy a PEN E-P3 next week and now wonders which kit to buy.

The 17mm/2.8 or the 14-42 ?

It looks like the lens to have for street shooting is the Pana 20/1,7 (but no way to get it in the kit !).

Then i'll get the 45/1,8...that's for sure :smile:

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you're going to get the 20/1.7 later, no point in getting the 17/2.8 kit. Actually, unless you really really like that 17mm focal length or can't afford the 20/1.7, there's no point in getting the 17/2.8 period.

The 14-42 isn't anything special optically (better than the 17/2.8 though) but it's a handy range to have, particularly for casual photography when switching between primes is a drag.

DH

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, but if he ends up with the 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/1.8 together, then is there any point in holding onto the kit zoom?

Personally, I would get the 17mm pancake kit, upgrade to the 45mm f/1.8 first (you'd still have a decent 2-lens kit at that point) then upgrade to the 20mm f/1.7 when you can. At that point, you can sell the 17mm pancake for significantly more than you'd be able to sell the 14-42mm kit zoom, to offset your costs.

4. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    It's strange that it is not possible to buy the body only...

I believe that prime lens will give me more pleasure than zoom, but i will probably be frustrated if i get the 17/2.8 to start...

I try to read many post but i am not 100% sure the Pana 20/1.7 auto focus will be working well with the E-P3 ?

Sorry for my english...as you probably found out already...it's not my native language ;-)

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ive got an ep3, 17, 20, 45, and 12
    and until i had the 12, i almost always had the 17 on
    i loved it

however, for most people id say a kit zoom is prolly a nice thing to have

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    It depends what your immediate needs are, and what your time-horizon is for getting additional lenses. I bought mine with the kit zoom, and later got the 12/20/45 lenses. I frankly think that the kit zoom is underrated, and it is nice to have when you don't feel like swapping lenses all the time or don't have a second body. I've gotten some good results outdoors with the kit zoom.

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sure. Neither gets him to 14mm, and zooming from 14mm to 42mm or vice versa will always be much faster and easier than swapping 2 lenses.

DH

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    And walking a bit with a prime lens will also get you the same effect as zooming in that range quicker than you can change lenses, and the primes are faster lenses than the zoom.

9. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Yah, but he'll pick up the 14-42 MKIII with the E-P4 when that's the only way to get that camera, heh!

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Nueces kill-joy here.

Unless the EP3 somehow manages to reach classic-collector status You may be buying from a company that has very very low (like none) resale value. :confused:

11. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I have not tried the new zoom but from the looks of it they are alot better than zoom I got with my e-pl1 kit. It was so bad that I havent used it ever since I got more lens. The part I hated the most was it's inability to focus at zoom length. But the new zoom are faster focusing and also with focus assist lamp you should be able to get shots through the zoom range indoors. They are also optimized with the body to focus faster than 17mm prime. Therefore I would get the zoom as the first lens.

Just my thoughts :)

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    But zoom lenses aren't just about changing distances but changing the FOV. I quite often pre-select and fix the focal length on my DSLR (24-105) and Oly kit zooms, and then walk up or back to fit the desired subject or scene. Zoom lenses are also nice to have where you physically can not get close enough or far enough back. I favor primes, but I think it requires 2 bodies to keep a nice work flow going.

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The primes are faster, but 'zooming with your feet', even where possible, will not give you the same effect as a wider or longer lens.

Horses for courses. Primes are good for many things, but for most of us, even a kit zoom will be handy to have.

DH

14. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I am in the same pickle - which kit lens to get the 17 vs the 14-42 with the Ep3 for travel camera when i need to min weight. i was planning on getting the 45/1.8 and the panny 14/2.5 to round out with the 17. but i see many comments about the 17's iffy performance. I am rather spoiled by my E5 with the 50/f2, 14-54mk2 and 50-200. isd the 17 kit lens that bad or that the 14-42 mk2 is better suited for video over the 17?
    a tad confused on best option.
    thanks
    Frank

15. Gordy

Gordy New to Mu-43

Nov 6, 2011
    My solution was to spend more than I intended to, and start with the 14-42 kit zoom, the 20/1.7 Panny and a VF-2. Six weeks later, I'm delighted with the outfit, and have almost forgotten how much I spent on it.

I agree with many of you that the kit zoom is good enough for many situations, and I think the best argument for starting with it instead of the 17mm/2.8 is that it covers that focal length, and you can always add one or more fast primes later. If you start with the 17mm and need something longer, you're stuck.

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    As I had already acquired a refurb E-PL2 with a 14-42 kit lens, I opted for the 17mm when I bought the E-P3. Just couldn't see having two of any lens, even if I could turn around and resell the extra 14-42.

Haven't tried the 17 yet, but it certainly is compact! Ironically, it will likely migrate to the E-PL2 side of the bag...

17. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Thanks for your replies.
    I think i'll go for the 14-42 and the VF2 to start.
    After some use i'll know better the camera and decide which way to go.

Maybe the guy at the camera shop will persuade me to buy the 20...

Enjoy taking pictures !

18. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    I just bought the e-p3 with 14-42 and the 20/1,7 from Panasonic.
    I did not take the vf2 for the moment, I think I should use the camera for a while and see if I need it.
    Currently in a biz trip, took some shots between meetings but I'll have to look at them on the computer before posting.
    I only used the zoom to start...
    The forum has been of great help to decide what to buy, I'll try to post the first pictures when I'll be back home.
    Thank you all,

19. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    resale value

The EP2 had already very low resale value before Olympus trouble, but yes i would have sold all my glass ( 12/20/45/14-150) if there wasnt panasonic doing m4/3 bodies.

20. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi !

I promised i would send my first shot...
    Here i my first street shot...

I'll be happy to get your feedback...

Thanks,

hkg-b_w-night-street_0000.