Which digital system?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by heedpantsnow, Mar 2, 2012.

1. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Hi, guys, I hope everyone had a great week.

I just sold several cameras (Ricoh GR1v, Oly E-P2) and now have about $1100 in my "war chest" to satisfy my G.A.S.

My original plan was to get the OM-D: the better sensor, classic styling, and especially IBIS is very attractive to me.

However, lately others have asked my "since you've sold your m4/3 body and lens, why don't you get a NEX-7 or the new Fuji?"

The truth is that IBIS is great, especially for shooting with my legacy glass but if the NEX-7 has better ISO then I could always just bump the ISO to make up for the lack if IBIS, right? Ditto for the Fuji?

I'm not invested in lenses for any system right now; I have several legacy lenses and some cheap m4/3 adapters but that's it.

Is the OM-D a no-brainer? Or should I consider other options? Thanks for your help!
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If you're planning buying new lens maybe the Nex system is not the best to invest in, if you will get stuck with your legacy lens then the whole thing changes, but only you can know that ad make decisions.

Personally I would invest in m4/3, but thats just my personal opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    - 7.5/f3.5
    - 8/f3.5
    - 7-14/f4
    - 12/f2
    - 12/f1.6
    - 17.5/f0.95
    - 20/f1.7
    - 25/f1.4
    - 25/f0.95
    - 45/f1.8
    - 45/f2.8

...and up-comers like the 12-35/f2.8, 35-100/f2.8, 75/f1.8 and 60/f2.8.

MFT is a no brainer for me at the moment. There just isn't enough quantifiable difference between m43 and APS sensors to justify ignoring the lens advantage...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Stick to your original plan
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wouldn't touch a NEX-7. Check the forums on DPR and you'll find a fair bit of concern over how well it performs with wide angle and legacy lenses. Sony went too far in terms of pixel pitch, large sensor and a shallow lens flange to sensor distance, and the NEX-7 pays the price with soft edges and corners.

The best performer in the NEX line is the 5n, by far, but then you give up the built in EVF. And you're still dealing with a very limited line of mostly over sized native lenses, many of which seem to be mediocre performers. And from what I read Sony AF still has a ways to go to catch Oly or Panasonic.

Fuji? Some nice features, but can you live with a lineup of native lenses that's even smaller than Sony's? And other Fujis suffer from the "white orb" problem on overexposed highlights; we don't yet know if that'll be a problem on the new Fuji. Fuji's AF isn't known for it's performance, either.

m43 isn't perfect either, of course, but right now I think it's by far the best compromise in MILCs. An excellent array of high performing, compact lenses, with more on the way; sensor performance that's more than good enough for almost any use, and better AF than any competing mirrorless (except for the N1, in very specific circumstances) that's excellent for everything but fast action. A range of bodies from very small and compact to full-featured cameras that handle like DSLRs, including a weather sealed body if that's important to you. And more on the way, with a GF4 and GH3 rumored for later this year.

As much as Oly got wrong with 4/3, Panasonic and Oly have gotten right with micro 4/3. I think it's still the sweet spot in MILCs, and will be for quite some time.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

The Sony NEX-7 is a fine camera with an excellent sensor and an outstanding electronic viewfinder. It would be a very good choice ...

... except for the fact that the selection of NEX lenses is exceptionally poor.

The only NEX lens that offers any hope of realising images that reflect the full abilities of the 24 MP sensor is the very expensive Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. The rest of the NEX lenses are mediocre, with the 16mm f/2.8 pancake a particularly disappointing optic.

There probably won't be any significant new NEX lenses until 2013. If you can wait until then, fine. But if you want to buy a mirrorless camera now, my personal opinion is that the NEX 7 would not be the best choice.

Not enough is known about the Fuji X-Pro 1 to make a decision. Once again, you would need to wait a few months.

So that leaves m4/3. It would seem that the Olympus E-M5 would take up most or all of your budget, so why not consider a Panasonic G3 or GX1 body with essentially the same 16 MP Live MOS sensor as the OM-D? All three will deliver comparable image quality, but with a Panasonic body you would also have some $$ left over for a lens or two.

Possibly the greatest strength of m4/3 is the availability of some very fine lenses. Quite the opposite of NEX, in fact. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Add the 9-18, 14-45, 14-140, 40-150, and 100-300 to that list for those who like zooms, and you've got a lineup no other mirrorless can match.
  8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks, everybody, just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy.

I'm really looking forward to the awesome IBIS of the OM-D, better ISO, and increased DR. The retro styling is icing on the cake.

I don't plan on getting many new lenses; probably just the 12-50 kit lens as I really love my CZ 50 1.4, Hexanon 24/2.8, 50/1.7, and 135/3.5, and Canon FD 28/2.8 and 50/1.8.

One of the real joys of these cameras is being able to redeem an old forgotten, sidelined lens and make it useful again.

I've also thought about getting an OM at some point and a few OM lenses. Just having a film body that can share lenses with my digital body is something I've missed since my old Canon 10D paired with my friend's old Rebel.

Ah, gotta love G.A.S, huh?
  9. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I'm with everybody else here - I cancelled my NEX-7 order when the lenses stopped being announced. Sony seems pretty focused on having a lineup of 10 bodies but only a few lenses, no clue why that is. I like the looks of the Fuji but I don't quite trust them for autofocus yet. I had to get over my large sensor snobbery when I ordered my E-M5, but between the high image quality and the tiny yet outstanding new primes, I'm fairly confident that I made the right decision.
  10. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

It's because Sony is losing money by the shipload, so there is very little left for investment. It's a pity because NEX cameras are a success story and the NEX-7 desperately need good glass.

It seems odd that Sony is continuing to invest in the Alpha DSLRs and SLTs but not NEX when Alpha is losing a lot of money and NEX is making profits.
  11. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    If only they stop making LCD TVs :biggrin:
  12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Where do you get your information that NEX is profitable and Alpha is not? I doubt that Sony releases that kind of profitability detail to the public.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  14. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i was very interested in the NEX 7, with its external controls and viewfinder, but my enthusiasm has died down for 2 reasons. and these are in no particular order. every reviewer who has had their hands on the camera says it's noisier at higher ISO or in lower light than the cheaper NEX cameras, maybe because sony decided to try to win the megapixel war with their massive jump to 24 mp. the other reason my enthusiasm cooled is the price and selection of lenses for NEX.

too bad, since i'm an enthusiast looking for a smaller camera, and should have been in their perfect target market. i would think that most people who would shell out a grand or more for a camera don't fall in the group who believe more megapixels on the same sensor is always a good thing. most of the people i know or have talked to at camera stores who believe that more megapixels is a good thing would never buy an interchangeable lens camera or one with manual controls.
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the advantage of buying from a camera and optics manufacturer with a long history of optical excellence, over an electronics company who is used to selling on spec sheets. It never ceases to amaze me how much criticism Olympus gets from those who think everybody else out-specs them, yet are still impressed by the photos the cameras take. Consumers seem to think that they can design a better camera than an age old camera maker, based on what they learn on the internet.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Panasonic is doing an alright job for an electronics company, and that's from someone who came into photography through Pentax and Olympus - two of the classic camera makers.
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I would debate that Panasonic is also an electronics company......
  19. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I had an NEX7 (still have an NEX3) and it was the perfect camera in my opinion...but there aren't any great wides and that killed it for me. The IQ is amazing, really, but until they at least make a good wide lens (I was using other lenses for everything else) I'm not interested. Can you imagine though, an NEX7 with the equivalent of our 7-14...that would be incredible!
  20. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the quote you referenced was referring to Sony, not Panasonic. But I have to agree with you. The fact is that in the last few years Panasonic's m43 cameras have been ahead of Oly's in many respects. I'd argue the OMD is simply catching up with the GH2. That it's a big advance over the Pens says more about how far behind the Pens had gotten than how far ahead the OMD has moved.