which converter for these lenses please?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mikizmo, May 23, 2013.

1. mikizmo

mikizmo New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    hi all,

I'm fairly new to the 4/3 scene, but am very keen.
    I have an Olympus EP-L1 and I've bought some lenses, and, ended up totally confused ...aaargh!

The lenses I have are :-
    Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f3.5-4.5
    Helios-44M 2/8
    Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G lens

I originally went for a
    FOTGA OM-M4/3 Adaptor
    ... but my Olympus lens doesn't fit onto it, and, neither does anything else, so I'm frustrated, and, a bit confused, as I'd ideally like to try all these lenses with this camera.

Please advise,
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For the Olympus, you need a 4/3-m4/3 adapter. The Helios is an m42, and the Nikon should be a Nikon F adapter (unless it doesn't have a way to control aperture on the lens, in which case you can get a G adapter).
  3. mikizmo

mikizmo New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    thanks Cruzan.
    thanks also for the info regarding the Nikon lens.
    I'll need a G adaptor as I can only control focus, and, not aperture.

I've tried looking for a 4/3-m4/3 adaptor but am getting wildly different results so far. is there a direct link you'd be able to give me please?
  4. mikizmo

mikizmo New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This one from Rainbow Imaging is non-OEM and should be the cheapest you'll find which still has full functionality through all the electric contacts: Olympus MMF-1, MMF-2 and MMF-3 Adapter Lens Adapter

It also has a tripod mount which is a good idea, but not the weather sealing of the MMF-3 (which you don't need with the lens you're going to use anyways, but if you get better Zuiko Digital lenses they will be sealed). I can't say anything for the build or performance though, as this product is new and I have lots of OEM adapters so no need to buy it or try it.
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Note that the MMF-3 adapter linked above is probably the most expensive 4/3 to :43: adapter available, since it is weather sealed. Unless you envision a scenario where you acquire a weather sealed body (at this point the E-M5 or the GH3) and some weather-sealed 4/3 lenses (which the 40-150 lens you have is not), then you can get by cheaper with several other options, e.g. the Panasonic DMW-MA1, Olympus MMF-1, or (cheapest of all) the third-party Viltrox JY-43F.

However, the question I would ask is why you'd want to spend at least $40 for an adapter for a lens like the ZD 40-150 which is nothing special. If you do some looking you should be able to find a native zoom covering this focal range for not much more than $100. The native lens is going to be much smaller and lighter and is going to offer MUCH better autofocus performance.

I would suggest you should try to sell the lens you have and re-invest those resources. Since you have a Panasonic camera, I would lean toward a Panasonic zoom since it will have Image Stabilization (OIS) built-in, which is very helpful at longer focal lengths. There are several to choose from: 40-150, 40-200 and 45-175 Power Zoom. The last is my personal favorite due to it's internal zooming mechanism which means that the lens doesn't extend further when zooming, but its also the most expensive.

As far as the other lenses you have, the Helios is a nice lens which works well on the E-PL1. I don't have any experience with the Nikon lens, but I would generally advise avoiding the use of any lenses with electronically controlled apertures. I would probably try to re-sell that lens and use the proceeds to fund a similar native lens (perhaps the Sigma 30/2.8 or the Panasonic 20/1.7).
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That's the 1st generation Zuiko zoom sold with my E300 in 2005. It's a very slow focus lens on my EPL1. Maybe 2-4 seconds if it hunts, While it works well, you don't want it unless it only cost you $25. I'd get the $54 Fotasy adapter if I had to use it, because I trust rainbowimaging to get the fit right.

The M.ED 40-150 has sold as low as $99 in the USA, often available for $149-179, and is far faster to focus.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Harry. Although on 4/3 I preferred that old 40-150mm with its slightly faster aperture and nice solid build, the new versions in both 4/3 and m4/3 mount are CDAF compatible and dirt cheap. They are also quite a bit more compact as well.
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'm not sure why you chose the 40-150/3.5-4.5 and the 35/1.8 DX, but I'd suggest returning them if possible, or seeing about selling/exchanging them if not.

You'll need a $50 adapter (see the JY43F on eBay) to use that 40-150 (it's a 4/3 mount, not OM like the adapter you chose), and it's fairly large with slow focus.

The native Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 can be had secondhand for ~$130 or refurbished for $170 from Cameta and is a much better fit.

The 35/1.8 is a bit of an odd focal length on m4/3 and for use as a manual focus lens, you're better off with a less expensive alternative that has a good focus ring and a built-in aperture control ring. Canon's 35/2.5 FD is a good choice (secondhand) - yes it's slower but it's half the price and considerably easier to use. If you must use the 35/1.8, the Fotga Nikon G adapter is among the less expensive options (eBay) that will let you mount it.

For the Helios, an m42 to micro 4/3 adapter is necessary. eBay is again a good place to look.